Want more information about this university?
kamile12341234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have gotten a place in both Portsmouth and Kent. I already have my accommodation in Portsmouth but got a place in Kent from adjustment. I was wondering which uni is better for overall expectations and specifically in psychology. I am struggling to decide with uni, since both are unis I would enjoy going to. Just struggling to decide.
StudentRep Medway
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kamile12341234)
I have gotten a place in both Portsmouth and Kent. I already have my accommodation in Portsmouth but got a place in Kent from adjustment. I was wondering which uni is better for overall expectations and specifically in psychology. I am struggling to decide with uni, since both are unis I would enjoy going to. Just struggling to decide.
Hi there!
Congratulations on your offer to study at Kent I'm currently in my third year at Kent, although I didn't study psychology! There is an online program called Unibuddy at Kent where prospective students can talk to current students studying the same subject to see how they find it. Here is the link in case you're interested! You can ask the students on Unibuddy anything about their course and even what they plan to do after.

Kent does rank higher than Portsmouth for psychology, and psychology is a large department at Kent meaning you will have access to a lot of facilities, labs, and academic support. I'd really recommend checking out the modules at each of the universities so you can see which ones appeal to you the most as this could really shape your enjoyment of your course
Another good thing about Kent is the career support they offer to students which is absolutely invaluable in getting the best opportunities with your degree. I've used the career department so many times while at Kent and I think it is one of the best services offered by the university!

As you already know, Kent is a really great place to study and I've loved my time here If you have any other questions at all please feel free to ask!
RomNoob
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm going into my second year at Portsmouth and whilst I don't study Psychology I can give you some general feedback.

I am really glad I decided in the end to go here (between UEA and Sussex) the city seems to be shaped around the university with a lot of businesses and services being really close to the buildings. The university has a TEF Gold standard and it showed in my course the staff were really engaged with students and offered a mountain of support and resources. On top of this the university has just comissioned a brand new building with should be ready during your cohort's stay.

Regarding career support, Portsmouth graduates have access to 'purple door' (the university's careers team) for 5 years post graduation.

But it seems the uni is going through a period of fundamental restructuring as a lot of courses have had a change over in staff over from 18/19 to 19/20, it could either be really amazing or not very good
username4410594
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Kent is a much better Uni. Plus Canterbury is a nice city, Portsmouth outside of Gunwharf area is a dump and not a very nice city. All be it this means Portsmouth is cheaper.

Id go with Kent. The better reputation will benefit you in the future.
Last edited by username4410594; 1 year ago
justzoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I actually had a decision similar to this! Portsmouth was my insurance and I got a place in Kent through clearing. Portsmouth is amazing but the support offered at Kent is unbelievable. I'd defo advocate for Kent!!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
I don't know much about the other uni but I know a lot of psychology students at Kent and they honestly are generally not happy. First year for them was mainly multiple choice questions and barely any written assignments, while second year had tons more written essays, for which a lot of students felt very unprepared for.

Kent does offer a lot of very good support in improving your academic writing, so you can absolutely manage, but know that you might need to be proactive and seek it out yourself, don't just rely on your psychology modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.67%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (83)
27.67%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (39)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.33%

Watched Threads