The Student Room Group

Approximately 25% of all A-Level grades are A or A*

The cynical dumbing down of required percentage to get an A grade is a tragedy for any sense of seriousness in this country.

The exam boards massage the figures by assigning a certain percentage as As, Bs ect regardless of the objective percentage achieved by students. Occasionally, they allow the numbers to dip so that it doesn't look like a total con.

It is an unacceptable con upon society and it unfairly penalises older people. The young are basically having their dicks rubbed educationally speaking.

Many of these 'AAA' students are worse than the CCC students of not so long ago.
Reply 1
classic boomer humour
Really, swear I read it was 16% recently on the BBC, maybe it was GCSE.
Students just finished their alevels and you think the best thing to say is this?
No wonder words like boomers exist.

Why are the young to be blamed for this?
They're the ones having to apply to uni, prepare for entrance exams and on top of that prepare for exams that will lead them into a university where you pay 9250 pounds a year just for tuition.

I think it's fair to say that the exam boards are doing this right,

and you should probably know that universities also place their grade requirements as appropriate for the figures given, so it's not like universities still have basic requirements and the % of A/A* increase.
Yeah but once you have an established career ect, your a-level grades don't matter- no employer will be comparing someone who's been working for 20 years to someone fresh out of sixth form/uni. Infact to combat this inflation they added the A* grade at a-level which about 10% people get which correct me if I'm wrong, that's roughly the % of people who got As back in the "good old days".
Original post by black1blade
Yeah but once you have an established career ect, your a-level grades don't matter- no employer will be comparing someone who's been working for 20 years to someone fresh out of sixth form/uni. Infact to combat this inflation they added the A* grade at a-level which about 10% people get which correct me if I'm wrong, that's roughly the % of people who got As back in the "good old days".

It's actually less this year.
About 6% for my subjects so yeah.
Original post by acromo123
It's actually less this year.
About 6% for my subjects so yeah.

Yeah it does vary per subject but about 10% for science subjects, 15% for maths and 5-10% for arts/humanities seems standard.

Another thing you aren't considering OP is that in the 20th century there were much fewer resources available to students especially to those from disadvantaged backgrounds. Due to increased available resources and more people caring about their a-levels, it isn't illogical to assume that on average people work harder than before. Just looking at the raw %s and gaking at the fact they're low is v counter productive too since you didn't sit the exams so don't understand how difficult they are and in many cases how obtuse the markschemes are lol. I bet you didn't complain at univeristy when 70% was a first so why get so up in arms about it if that's the A* boundary for some subjects?
How cynical to have this opinion just after many 18-19 year olds have just received their grades and are excited about uni! Is it their fault? No they’re just trying to better themselves! It should be encouraged not discouraged.
Reply 8
Original post by acromo123
Students just finished their alevels and you think the best thing to say is this?
No wonder words like boomers exist.

Original post by DazzaHatty
How cynical to have this opinion just after many 18-19 year olds have just received their grades and are excited about uni! Is it their fault? No they’re just trying to better themselves! It should be encouraged not discouraged.

I knew that there'd be a couple of people who'd say this, who make it about their (or perhaps their children's) generation rather than looking holistically at its effect on an entire society.

"No wonder words like boomers exist". Are you trying to claim the term 'Boomers' as a pejorative now? The term is just for people born in the approx 20 years after the Second World War, when the birth rate increased i.e. 'boomed', 1946-1964. The people who tripled your tuition fees are early generation Xers David Cameron and Nick Clegg.

"It should be encouraged". At any expense?

How encouraging would you be to mature students? They might have great life experience, be very well read, but didn't go to university when they were 18 or 19.
Reply 9
Original post by Picnic1
The cynical dumbing down of required percentage to get an A grade is a tragedy for any sense of seriousness in this country.

The exam boards massage the figures by assigning a certain percentage as As, Bs ect regardless of the objective percentage achieved by students. Occasionally, they allow the numbers to dip so that it doesn't look like a total con.

It is an unacceptable con upon society and it unfairly penalises older people. The young are basically having their dicks rubbed educationally speaking.

Many of these 'AAA' students are worse than the CCC students of not so long ago.

The A-level exams now are far harder than ANY previous exams, maybe try sitting one and saying that it’s easy to get an A*.
So the decision to allocate grades proportionally is based on the principle that every year group is collectively as intelligent as the next.

Exam papers can fluctuate in difficulty year to year, and surely it would be more unfair to scrap the proportional grading and grade purely according to fixed threshold boundaries for each grade, so if a board produces a particularly hard paper that doesn't penalise students taking it that year from accessing thd higher grades when they are capable.

If you're going to criticise the system the least you can do is suggest a better alternative.

Also let's not make this debate personal by accussing certain perspectives of being flawed, engage with the perspective and demonstrate its flaws instead.
Reply 11
Original post by 04MR17

If you're going to criticise the system the least you can do is suggest a better alternative.

obviously we mbue markers with the power of high school gods to randomly dish out a prealooted number of F's to students they disaprove of. Such as those who misuse words such as 'irregardless' and 'ginormous'.
Reply 12
Original post by Picnic1

Are you aware that the top grade is now an A* so it’s stupid to compare an A now with an A 30 years ago?
Original post by Picnic1
I knew that there'd be a couple of people who'd say this, who make it about their (or perhaps their children's) generation rather than looking holistically at its effect on an entire society.

"No wonder words like boomers exist". Are you trying to claim the term 'Boomers' as a pejorative now? The term is just for people born in the approx 20 years after the Second World War, when the birth rate increased i.e. 'boomed', 1946-1964. The people who tripled your tuition fees are early generation Xers David Cameron and Nick Clegg.

"It should be encouraged". At any expense?

How encouraging would you be to mature students? They might have great life experience, be very well read, but didn't go to university when they were 18 or 19.

I’m a mature student saying this! I’m 27 and about to enter the first year of my degree after completing a Foundation Year last year. The very clever 18-19 year olds are future MP’s, Dr’s, CEO’s etc. It takes a lot of dedication to constantly perform at a high level. I never had it which is why I’m where I am a mature student. All of those A level students who achieved A’s or A*’s shouldn’t be discouraged because apparently “Exams are dumbing down” where’s your evidence to support this claim? I could just as easily say now in 2019 most students are exceptionally intelligent and dedicated in their field. I have zero evidence to support this claim but, it’s a far nicer opinion than rather harshly shutting down the achievements of young people.
Original post by Picnic1

25% of students get an A*/A and that percentage has been maintained for about 9 years, therefore there has been little grade inflation for about a decade.

Exam boards assign a certain percentage of A*s, As and Bs in order to keep the value of each grade the same. If too many people take A*s and A, then employers and unis will find these grades (and the A level spec) as less valuable. Therefore it is in the best interests for everyone to maintain a similar proportion.

What is unacceptable upon society is the number of ***** who don't understand how the examination system works as well as those who insist that 'exams were much harder back in their days'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending