smcgill24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi all,

I'm going to be studying forensic psychology which I'm excited about.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or words of wisdom of studying with the OU.

anyone who's studied forensic psychology can you provide any good books to read?
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can't offer any advice about OU but would be interested if anyone has book recommendations
zefox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by smcgill24)
hi all,

I'm going to be studying forensic psychology which I'm excited about.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or words of wisdom of studying with the OU.

anyone who's studied forensic psychology can you provide any good books to read?
I have just finished my Psychology BSc with OU, my advice is read and use the learning objectives set out for every week and assignment! This is what they are looking for and marking you against. Plan your study every week using the study guide.
If something is a bit "fuzzy" in a book see if you can look it up in the OU library. You are able to use brick uni libraries too... in person using SCONUL (something i didnt know about til my last year!).
There are lots of FB groups but be wary as there can be lots of conflicting advice.
I am starting a masters in Forensic Psychology at Coventry part-time this September!
Last edited by zefox; 1 year ago
smcgill24
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
good luck for your MSC!

any books you recommend?
is it quite full on?
is it easy to fit study in with full time job?
are the tutors helpful?
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just graduated from the OU with a first class BDc in psychology and counselling. I took one forensic psychology module, which I loved.

I found it easy to fit studying in around a full.time job. The level 1 modules are not too full on, but they definitely get more challenging as you go up to level 2 and 3. Still manageable though!

They used the book Mad or Bad? On the forensic psychology module, which I assume will come up on your course, so you could get ahead by reading that.

As for tutors, it depends who you get! I've always had amazing tutors, but my forensic psychology tutor seemed a lot tougher - it was the only module I didnt get a distinction in! Still, he was always available to contact by phone or email. Online and face to face tutorials are very useful and Facebook groups are good, but as the other poster said, be wary of some advice given there.

Hope this helps!

Loren
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads