Which GCSE subjects should be compulsory? Watch

Evil Homer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Almost every GCSE student will be picking up their Maths and English results this Thursday.

These are a number of mandatory GCSE subjects students have to take, but is this the right thing to do?

With schools pushing pupils more and more into Ebacc, this will start changing how many students are entered into each subject.

"Under the government's current plans, 90% of English secondary school pupils will be studying the EBacc by 2025."

- https://www.gov.uk/government/public...laureate-ebacc

If it was up to you, what GCSE subjects would you make mandatory and what subjects would you make optional? If subjects were not mandatory do you think you would have still chosen to study them?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I guess maths and English should be mandatory as it's a core subject and is required by many places. I hate that bloody EBacc, my school pressured me to do it and spread lies - I probably wouldn't have done French. We only do 9 subjects in our school
Last edited by Obolinda; 4 weeks ago
Kithhh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
None
Rae5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
I guess maths and English should be mandatory as it's a core subject and is required by many places. I hate that bloody EBacc, my school pressured me to do it and spread lies - I probably wouldn't have done French.
We had to pick either French or Spanish and about 100 out of the 270 people in my year failed their language mock because we were forced to do something we hated
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Almost every GCSE student will be picking up their Maths and English results this Thursday.

These are a number of mandatory GCSE subjects students have to take, but is this the right thing to do?

With schools pushing pupils more and more into Ebacc, this will start changing how many students are entered into each subject.

"Under the government's current plans, 90% of English secondary school pupils will be studying the EBacc by 2025."

If it was up to you, what GCSE subjects would you make mandatory and what subjects would you make optional? If subjects were not mandatory do you think you would have still chosen to study them?
All the subjects required to obtain the EBacc. It covers a wide range of subjects and produces the most well-rounded students
Neilos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
English of course.
Maths of course.
All the sciences and Geography - know how the world works now.
History - know how it got to be this way.

Maybe one language too but given most British kids never get anywhere near a reasonable level, I don't think it's worth having it as compulsory as it's nearly always useless.
yassineouerda57
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
English language and maths should be mandatory ofc

make students pick only 1 subject out of bio, chem and physics to study in GCSEs rather than having to do 6 ****ing papers on all 3 sciences. (However if you wanna study 2/3 sciences for a level you should be given the option of studying bio,chem and phy)

English Literature should be made optional for students who actually want to learn about Shakespeare

Languages should be optional as well cuz of its decline within A levels
Last edited by yassineouerda57; 4 weeks ago
Delilah23
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
English
Maths
Science
A language
Religious studies (can be taken out for good reason)

Then get to choice a subject for each of these categories
1) geography, history, construction etc
2) art,d&t, sport, health care, drama, IT etc
3) musics, photography, child care, business etc

Anyone else agree ?
lilTrain
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i think our school did ebacc actually... we had a compulsory language (spanish) and choose between either geog or history
obviously english and maths and maybe sciences should be compulsory, maybe a language too, and have a choice between a language or the food one since theyre both somewhat important in the real world
and civics, like finance or other topics, since secondary school prepares u for the real world innit...
basically the same as it always was? idk
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In my school it was compulsory to do Maths, english (lit and lang separately), either combined or triple science, a language and a humanity (either RE, geography or history). You then had two to 3 subject choices left depending on if you did triple or combined science. 10 was the usual amount of GCSEs for my school with some people doing up to 14
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

What the dickens is Ebacc? It sounds like an alternative to vaping.

Mandatory subjects should be English, Mathematics, Science, and PSE. I would go so far as to say that they should be all that's taught in school, that way they can be caught better and schoolchildren aren't going down with depression/anxiety before they're sixteen. The pressure the schools are putting on children now is criminal.
XHannahR
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I kept my options as wide as possible and sat the exams for:
-Maths
-English Language
-English Literature
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-History
-Geography
-Spanish
-Food Preparation and Nutrition
In my opinion, it was a good choice.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Maths and English Language only. English Lit is not a core skill and has little to no relevance to the vast majority of jobs, so should not be compulsory imo
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maths and English language and at least one of the following topics: geography, history or religious studies.
I also think it should be compulsory to study a at least one non-academic subject so that students have some time a week to relax/have fun such as: art, DT, food tech, PE, drama, music, dance, media
I really don’t think that languages should be compulsory.
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
These are my wanted grades I'll edit them once I've received my results:

Wanted/Achieved:

English Language: Grade 5/ Grade
English Literature: Grade 5/ Grade
Maths: Grade 8/ Grade
Combined Science: Grade 7-7/ Grade
Business Studies: Grade 6/ Grade
History: Grade 7 or 8/ Grade
Photography: Grade 6/ Grade
RE: Grade 7/ Grade

I hope for History that I come out with a 7/8 but I think it'll be a 5 or 6.
I just hate English so glad I don't need to do it again well hopefully.
Love Maths so easy.
The rest should be accurate or it'll be one grade up or down. Hopefully up.
I really want just one grade 9 if not I'd want 2 grade 8's.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I really don't understand why English Lit is compulsory, is such a crap subject that will be useless I guarantee you unless you are planning to take it at A level and university
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have this EBacc nonsense and I was in the first year for it to be released. It's absolutely useless.

I think the following should be compulsory

Maths
English (Language)
Sciences
One technical / IT course
Time for life skills, non qualification
hajima
Report 4 weeks ago
Maths up to level 5, English Language.
All these people listing 3,4,5+ subjects are being ridiculous - far too much is mandatory.
We should be able to learn about what fascinates us as people, not be forced to "learn" a bunch of useless crap.
Last edited by hajima; 4 weeks ago
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There's a part of me that really wants to say none. I understand the argument that English Language and Maths seem to be compulsory for every job nowadays, but is that not because everyone does them (and thus they're guaranteed to be a good way of comparing the academic ability of two candidates) rather than because they're particularly useful? I'm sure it's entirely possible to get through life without needing quadratic equations (not that I think that Maths isn't useful, by the way) or an ability to analyse texts or write fiction. I think if someone has to do exams at school, they should at least be in something that they enjoy. I think doing this would enable the government to raise academic standards (if it needs to) in English and Maths as more motivated students would be taking these exams.
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For Wales, just scrap Welsh Bacc for god sake. It's just awful, pointless and in sixth form is stopping me from taking a 4th subject. Tories said that if they win the Welsh Assembly Elections in 2021 they'll scrap it so (even though I'd have done it by then) I'm gonna hope for that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate