Turn on thread page Beta

AS Level biology...HARD! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    why is AS level bio sooooooooooooooo hard? theres so much detail involved now and i really dont understand the biochemistry section! im in panick mode because my teacher is useless aswell!

Lots of Love,
    Anne-Marie
    xxXxxXxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    why is AS level bio sooooooooooooooo hard? theres so much detail involved now and i really dont understand the biochemistry section! im in panick mode because my teacher is useless aswell!

Lots of Love,
    Anne-Marie
    xxXxxXxx
    I find some parts of Bio hard too!!! :rolleyes: so your not alone . Thankfully I have gd teachers so that helps.... Detail was obviously gonna get more intimate though. At gcse they teach you that in a cell there is onli a nucleus,cytoplasm and and a cell membrane. What exam board are you doin??what parts dont you understand?? I might be able to help and if I cnt im sure someone els from A2 or AS could...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)

Lots of Love,
    Anne-Marie
    xxXxxXxx
    Don't worry... there is a lot of scaling in the exam!
    Also, I found the Collins Individual Unit Revision Books amazing! Waay better than the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)

Lots of Love,
    Anne-Marie
    xxXxxXxx
    what board are you on??

I did AS biology and thought it was a doddle. I got a good A and am now doing it at A2

ReputationRep:
    mmm im doing edexcel i think...yeah, i am doing edexcel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    mmm im doing edexcel i think...yeah, i am doing edexcel!
    Me too - well the AS was really boring at the beginning - the biochemistry went so slowly, but it does (sort of) improve in the next unit. And now at A2 its quite interesting although still hard, I find I'm just constantly learning fact after fact.

ReputationRep:
    One of the things I do is read over my notes.. for me its not understanding but the remembering thats the problem..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)

Lots of Love,
    Anne-Marie
    xxXxxXxx
    Hi Anna!

Yeah I know the feeling...it gets worse when you jump to degree level...for a-level I had like 3 pages of notes on proteins...ive spent all day writing up my protein lectures and am on page 15 already...have another 3 lectures worth of notes to add to that!!! :eek:

I always found that getting a good textbook that has lots of big diagrams of the more complicated processes help you remember them! If you list any specfic things you are stuck on i'll try and help

Cheers,
    nikk

ReputationRep:
    AS Biology isn't hard - you just gotta settle into AS I presume! It is quite a massive leap from GCSE after all - I got U's all year round and proud of it! I just never worked and got kicked out of lessons for the lack of homework :rolleyes: Now doing it at A2 Don't worry - I came out with an A You really don't need to worry about it. What is it you don't understand anyway? And Biochemistry is the coolest!

I've only ever taken one thing in Edexcel and that's Chinese at GCSE :rolleyes: the BEST exam I've ever been to I laughed so much! I do AQA Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    my teacher is useless aswell!
    Lol, my lazy biology teacher is one of the main reasons why I signed up to here! Our first lesson, he tells us: 'just, look at cells, in a textbook or something. Or better yet, go on the net, talk about them. In those forums, I'll give you a list' :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll be fine. If you're academic enough to post in here, then than says something

Goodluck, Danni x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Lol, my lazy biology teacher is one of the main reasons why I signed up to here! Our first lesson, he tells us: 'just, look at cells, in a textbook or something. Or better yet, go on the net, talk about them. In those forums, I'll give you a list' :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll be fine. If you're academic enough to post in here, then than says something

Goodluck, Danni x
    Lol that made it sound like you meant only academic people can post on here! - which I'm sure you don't mean but *shrug*

Hey so maybe I am intelligent! Yay!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A2 Bio now, but everyone I know found the jump to As level really hard. When we were doing biological molecules(proteins and stuff) we had a teacher who talked at us(not to us) for an hour every lesson and never bothered to explain any of the new terminology, we were so confused. But by the summer you get used to it. My advice is to buy yourself a good revision guide now and use that to help you understand what's going on. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    edexcel? :eek: why not OCR?

ReputationRep:
    Let me know if you need any help with anything specific and I'll try to help Do see if you can get your hands on a good, clear textbook - they will make things seem so much simpler!

ReputationRep:
    If you was doing double science in GCSE, i suppose it is a big jump to AS, however if you did triple it shouldn't be hard at all.

ReputationRep:
    The first few weeks are hard, I'll grant you that. Especailly if you have a bad teacher. But nevertheless, reading the notes through, and doing extra reading will hepl you out to no end later.

ReputationRep:
    Extra reading is a good habit to get into anyway, if you're planning on going to university! (Says one who is notoriously bad at motivating self to do extra reading)

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about the biochem- i found it quite hard to begin with, but by the end of the year, it'll be like second nature, u use it so much in relation to the rest of the course. don't stress. it'll get harder, but it's soooo much fun and so interesting. just take it as it comes

ReputationRep:
    I've got this good bio guide that explains everything..its called biology through diagrams and it has all the important info for the exam and all the practical/coursework stuff set out in a way you REALLY do get the info. I am doing my AS and the bio chem is hard but you have to remember ALL of biology are built on the foundations of bio chem. Its relevancy to the subject is major so Learn it now and it will come back more cleare in reveison time. (10th January AQA B)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    If you was doing double science in GCSE, i suppose it is a big jump to AS, however if you did triple it shouldn't be hard at all.
    I did triple science and found AS Biology difficult. I must be thick.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.