Compelling Personal Reasons and disabled student funding

Watch
MummaJane
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm having to repeat my BSc Top up degree due to ongoing health issues. I was not aware of CPR when I previously repeated a year (due to the same reasons). I have sent in a doctor's letter which is now dated and a lecturer's letter which refers to the top up year specifically. Any more advice on what to send in? And I've also been told that as a student with chronic ill-health/ disability I should have had 5 years finance. Can you advise whether this is correct please? I'm desperately worried as it appears that I won't hear back until 2 days before registration day!!
Thanks in advance,

Jane
Claire SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MummaJane)
Hi, I'm having to repeat my BSc Top up degree due to ongoing health issues. I was not aware of CPR when I previously repeated a year (due to the same reasons). I have sent in a doctor's letter which is now dated and a lecturer's letter which refers to the top up year specifically. Any more advice on what to send in? And I've also been told that as a student with chronic ill-health/ disability I should have had 5 years finance. Can you advise whether this is correct please? I'm desperately worried as it appears that I won't hear back until 2 days before registration day!!
Thanks in advance,

Jane
Hi there,

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus 1 additional year minus any previous study, whether completed or not. Can you confirm how long your course is? Once we receive the evidence it would be up to the assessor if its accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire
MummaJane
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Claire SFE)
Hi there,

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus 1 additional year minus any previous study, whether completed or not. Can you confirm how long your course is? Once we receive the evidence it would be up to the assessor if its accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire,
I've completed a Foundation Degree which took 3 years instead of 2, and am currently doing a 1 year top up, which I'm going to need a 2nd year to complete. My health is not a 1 off incident as such... I have an autoimmune condition which has caused heart failure and 'they' (being the medical team) now feel that I have a neurological condition, most likely MS (as it is felt I would be secondary progressive by now, testing is long drawn out and complicates diagnosis). The college is completely supportive of me continuing my studies. The college will be contacting SFE directly on my behalf but any additional advice would be appreciated.
Best wishes,
Jane
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MummaJane)
Hi Claire,
I've completed a Foundation Degree which took 3 years instead of 2, and am currently doing a 1 year top up, which I'm going to need a 2nd year to complete. My health is not a 1 off incident as such... I have an autoimmune condition which has caused heart failure and 'they' (being the medical team) now feel that I have a neurological condition, most likely MS (as it is felt I would be secondary progressive by now, testing is long drawn out and complicates diagnosis). The college is completely supportive of me continuing my studies. The college will be contacting SFE directly on my behalf but any additional advice would be appreciated.
Best wishes,
Jane
Hi Jane,

It is sufficient that you send us satisfactory evidence of this which confirms your condition and how it affected your studies during the academic year you're claiming for. Until your evidence is reviewed, there isn't anything else that can be done. Currently, the processing timescale is 20 working days.

P.S I am really sorry to hear about this and I do wish you well.

Regards,
Nihad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed