The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

What % of students stay in halls at UoB?

Hi guys I live in Birmingham and I got a my place at UoB but the this is my parents are forcing me to stay at home for my first year. Is it hard to make friends at UoB and how many students actually stay at student accommodation compared to students who don’t?
Birmingham actually has a relatively high number of local students. There was a video with statistic information [which I've spent a few minute looking for and can't find :frown: ] and it was somewhere between 15-25% of students were from the local area (though that would also include postgraduates and those from the local area who go into accommodation).
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Found it! 24% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg4QuIjCcKs 0:30 - Of course the answer to your question of students who live in halls isn't answered directly by that - but it's somewhat of an indicator.
Reply 3
So do you think it will be harder to make more friends. I’m not massively outgoing but I’m not super quiet either. I’m more of an averagely outgoing guy if that makes sense
I'm not really qualified to give an answer of that sadly (being an edge case with Autism). Hopefully the statistics should give you some confidence there will be similar people you can become friends with, and hopefully someone who is more in the know than me will be along to post social advice/experience soon!
Reply 5
Original post by centraltrains
Found it! 24% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg4QuIjCcKs 0:30 - Of course the answer to your question of students who live in halls isn't answered directly by that - but it's somewhat of an indicator.

So it’s probably around 25% stay at home since I saw a stat that 1 in 10 people living 150 miles away from uni still stay at home and commute. That’s a decent percentage it makes me a lot less worried about making no friends😂😂😂
58% of first year undergraduates live in university halls, another 19% live in private halls
Reply 7
Join the Commuter Students Association of you are worried about making friends and missing out.

Quick Reply

Latest