Turn on thread page Beta

USA: Notice of revocation of independence watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Although USA doesn't really pick on Britain as much as vice-versa you do exhibit similar behaviour to other countries, Canada and Mexico no doubt.
    There are jokes but nothing this cruel. You guys are downright nasty!

I don't know why I keep clicking on these particular threads. I always end up getting my feelings hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. I feel stupider after reading that first post. And guess what... I didn't have to look up any of the words!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belle Noire)
    There are jokes but nothing this cruel. You guys are downright nasty!

I don't know why I keep clicking on these particular threads. I always end up getting my feelings hurt.
    I wouldn't have said it was particularly cruel or nasty...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    I would say it was incredibly ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    I would say it was incredibly ignorant.
    I'd say you're taking it rather too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Probably because you're a big country and try to act as isolationists. Although USA doesn't really pick on Britain as much as vice-versa you do exhibit similar behaviour to other countries, Canada and Mexico no doubt.
    actually no, we don't. the worst people say about Canada is that it's just like another state or joke about their accent ("aboot/about"). Mexico- it's also funny to make fun of a Mexican accent (think the cockroach aliens in Men In Black) or maybe jokes about it being a dangerous place, or dirty. But nothing so elaborate as all the system of stereotypes and underlying resentment that the Brits seem to have for everyone who isn't them.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha- I love it. No guns?! No SUVs??

ReputationRep:
    you're on the opposite end of this "joke" how could you be objective if it wasn't directed at you or people like you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiesado)
    But nothing so elaborate as all the system of stereotypes and underlying resentment that the Brits seem to have for everyone who isn't them.
    Isn't this a stereotype too? It's based on massive generalisations, at any rate.

ReputationRep:
    you're on the opposite end of this "joke" how could you be objective if it wasn't directed at you or people like you?
    Yes I can see your point - but even if I was on the receiving end, I'm sure I wouldn't take it too seriously!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Hahaha- I love it. No guns?! No SUVs??
    Oh, you would love it, comrade. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this a stereotype too? It's based on massive generalisations, at any rate.
    I wouldn't say it's based on "massive generalizations", just based on my observations of people's attitudes on this site and from reading the UK newspapers while I was there.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's based on "massive generalizations", just based on my observations of people's attitudes on this site and from reading the UK newspapers while I was there.
    Well, I'd call saying that all British people have a resentment against 'everyone who isn't them' a big generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I can see your point - but even if I was on the receiving end, I'm sure I wouldn't take it too seriously!
    Hmm, maybe I should read it again, it seemed harmless to me the first time I read it, maybe I missed something. (no pun intended there)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not taking it seriously, but it is a bit insulting because it insinuates we're stupid and it's extremely condescending. The circulation of this type of joke and the accompanying attitude won't help the relations between our two countries. It's a bit disheartening is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Hmm, maybe I should read it again, it seemed harmless to me the first time I read it, maybe I missed something. (no pun intended there)
    But it is harmless...

Let's face it, every country in the world has stereotypes of other nations, always has done and always will - it's part of human nature.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can see the humor in it, however I can also see where some find it insulting aswell. It does pretty much make us out to be nothing more than uneducated idiots. Oh and for the last time we do spell doughnut correctly!
    I swear you guys think that just because one franchise (aka. dunkin donuts) used improper spelling as a marketing technique you think we all use that spelling.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you're taking it rather too seriously.
    Why is it that someone can't make an accurate comment without being accused of taking something too seriously? I for one, am sick of people saying that Americans are stupid. It offends me. And re the original post, there is an American version of english.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing, BUSH IS OUR CHOICE. Stop calling us stupid for re-electing him. We don't care what you think of him.

ReputationRep:
    But it is harmless...

Let's face it, every country in the world has stereotypes of other nations, always has done and always will - it's part of human nature.
    Arbitrary dislike of entire populations of people isn't exactly harmless.

Just because people do it out of ignorance we should condone it?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.