The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Dr_Death

I agree about the national anthem. 'Land of hope and glory' is a much better tune, and a bit more up-to-date considering the reduced role of the monarch.

Hmm, when played ever so slightly faster than normal, and with a nice arrangement, I think think the national anthem is pretty good...
Reply 121
Kondar
Infinity, I feel that what happened to the Native Americans was a shame. I've always admired and wondered about their culture and it is nice to come across someone with that background. :smile:

Er IS a shame, it's not something that has stopped.
PadFoot90
I'm afraid i have to say it doesnt seem that way, based on the reaction from those letters from americans about brits having a say in the U.S election.

Those were letters carefully selected to put a face on Americans. I wrote them an eloquent letter and I'm sure many other Americans did, but none of them were printed. Publishing my letter wouldn't have suited their agenda.
Reply 123
I remember The Guardian printing a few nice ones.. but yeah the majority seemed to be simply written, abusive letters.
kew96158
Hmm, when played ever so slightly faster than normal, and with a nice arrangement, I think think the national anthem is pretty good...

Yeah, God Save The Queen, Rule Britannia (dated now - very much an Empire anthem) and Land of Hope and Glory all sound good when played at a decent speed and with a good arrangement. It's too bad I associate the latter anthem with godawful adverts.

I noticed that the ancient 'Risk Deluxe' computer game had Rule Britannia (without words) as the 'winning' tune.
I've seen this before, and it's still funny.
As an alien in the United States, I completely agree with it.
Reply 126
I personally think 'I vow to thee my country' would be good as national anthem. Most people I know hate god save the queen.
katiesado
I thought you were supposed to hate France more than us. Where are all the French bashing threads?

Things change over time. I thought you hated France more than us, besides Britain can leave other countries to mock France such as Germany, Italy, USA etc.
Reply 128
NDGAARONDI
Things change over time. I thought you hated France more than us, besides Britain can leave other countries to mock France such as Germany, Italy, USA etc.

There is very little anti british attitude, actually none where i live. Maybe in other places, but i've never heard any of it.
PadFoot90
There is very little anti british attitude, actually none where i live. Maybe in other places, but i've never heard any of it.

I've not heard any either. But you live in New England don't you?
Reply 130
NDGAARONDI
I've not heard any either. But you live in New England don't you?

I can assure you the name would have zero effect on the sentiment.
PadFoot90
I can assure you the name would have zero effect on the sentiment.

I remembered which state now, VT :biggrin:
Reply 132
NDGAARONDI
I remembered which state now, VT :biggrin:

yup :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending