Unmarked White Speed Camera Car (VW Golf) At Night Watch

CSay123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was driving over Blackstone Edge Littleborough (around 11 oclock 18/08/19), at the highest point (50mph zone) slightly to fast and passed a white golf in the lay by. It was facing me with it's lights on, and internal light on too. Upon turning round for closer inspection it has a large metal pole mounted to the roof (probably about 6ft tall), and some equipment on the dashboard. As far as I could tell there was only one driver in the vehicle, but I had noticed a large police presence in the area compared to normal. There are not speed camera warning signs of this part of the road and it was very dark and unlit. Does anyone know anything more about these kinds of vehicles to put me at ease? The registration was MV62 YVB . Any information is appreciated apart from comments about following the speed limit which I obviously should have been doing to begin with. In the future I am most definitely going to do so anyways as this is far too stressful.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CSay123)
I was driving over Blackstone Edge Littleborough (around 11 oclock 18/08/19), at the highest point (50mph zone) slightly to fast and passed a white golf in the lay by. It was facing me with it's lights on, and internal light on too. Upon turning round for closer inspection it has a large metal pole mounted to the roof (probably about 6ft tall), and some equipment on the dashboard. As far as I could tell there was only one driver in the vehicle, but I had noticed a large police presence in the area compared to normal. There are not speed camera warning signs of this part of the road and it was very dark and unlit. Does anyone know anything more about these kinds of vehicles to put me at ease? The registration was MV62 YVB . Any information is appreciated apart from comments about following the speed limit which I obviously should have been doing to begin with. In the future I am most definitely going to do so anyways as this is far too stressful.
Probably nothing
J0n3zviper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is why I always drive under the speed limit by 3-4mph tbh.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by J0n3zviper)
This is why I always drive under the speed limit by 3-4mph tbh.
You do realise your speedo over-reads anyways...
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
You do realise your speedo over-reads anyways...
Myth

And tbh eitherway I ain't getting no ticket
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Myth

No, it's not a myth.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Myth

You’re very uneducated.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
You’re very uneducated.
Show me a legitimate source that says this.. Go on!
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
No, it's not a myth.
Show me a credible source stating this information then. I could sit here telling you the earth being flat isn't a myth because many people believe it is.. It does not make it true.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Show me a credible source stating this information then. I could sit here telling you the earth being flat isn't a myth because many people believe it is.. It does not make it true.
It's written into law.

A speedometer cannot display a speed under the actual speed, but it can display a speed over the actual speed to within a certain threshold.

Manufacturers purposely calibrate speedometers out by a certain percentage to ensure they won't be held liable.

This is common knowledge, and you can find thousands of sources simply by using Google. I won't do your job for you.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's written into law.

A speedometer cannot display a speed under the actual speed, but it can display a speed over the actual speed to within a certain threshold.

Manufacturers purposely calibrate speedometers out by a certain percentage to ensure they won't be held liable.

This is common knowledge, and you can find thousands of sources simply by using Google. I won't do your job for you.
LOL what an absolute cop-out, usually I wouldn't bother engaging with the likes of you, but it's funny how you say all this and yet can not provide me with a credible source. There's plenty of sources online that will tell you the earth is flat, credibility of these sources are poor so you telling me the information is online is as useless.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
LOL what an absolute cop-out, usually I wouldn't bother engaging with the likes of you, but it's funny how you say all this and yet can not provide me with a credible source. There's plenty of sources online that will tell you the earth is flat, credibility of these sources are poor so you telling me the information is online is as useless.
It's not my job to convince someone as inept as yourself that the Earth is infact round.

To put your mind at ease, here's the legislation:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ents/made#sch3

Here's an article that explains quite succinctly why manufacturers do as they do, as well as surmising the legislation:

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-a...r-speedometer/

And another:

https://www.thecomet.net/motoring/ca...eter-1-4453243

And another:

https://www.wewantanycar.com/news/ca...are-you-going/

Happy now?
Last edited by IWMTom; 3 weeks ago
Moments
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...chedule/3/made

Section 19 part 2 and 3

By law they cannot underread and the consequences for a car manufacturer would be rather heavy if involved in a serious incident. A car travelling at 50mph could legally read upto (50/10 +6.24) = 61.24mph.

Engineers take factors of safety into everything we do to account for variances, like wheel size. I don't know what car manufacturers choose as their safety but you can assume it will probably be between 53 and 58 mph (5-15%).
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
rip bro x

You could’ve saved yourself the embarrassment by just searching it up yourself :dontknow:
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 3 weeks ago
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
GPS apps or speed cameras that show your speed will will display a speed that is 3mph below to the speed that is on the speedometer. It isn't a myth.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
GPS apps or speed cameras that show your speed will will display a speed that is 3mph below to the speed that is on the speedometer. It isn't a myth.
Not quite - the figure will differ, but the sentiment remains the same.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's not my job to convince someone as inept as yourself that the Earth is infact round.

To put your mind at ease, here's the legislation:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ents/made#sch3

Here's an article that explains quite succinctly why manufacturers do as they do, as well as surmising the legislation:

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-a...r-speedometer/

And another:

https://www.thecomet.net/motoring/ca...eter-1-4453243

And another:

https://www.wewantanycar.com/news/ca...are-you-going/

Happy now?
TBH

Didn't actually think you were wrong just wanted to see how easy it would be to manipulate you.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
TBH

Didn't actually think you were wrong just wanted to see how easy it would be to manipulate you.
How mature of you.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How mature of you.
Mature enough to not give into peer pressure
IWMTom
Rep: