Is going to a Bad university worth it? Watch

swizz22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I didn't do well on my A levels i got CCD, i want to study economics and i got into Brunel through clearing but i'm not sure if its worth going to or retaking my A levels?
brokenchronos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
brunel isn't that bad, at least you didn't get into greenwich
SS__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by swizz22)
I didn't do well on my A levels i got CCD, i want to study economics and i got into Brunel through clearing but i'm not sure if its worth going to or retaking my A levels?
It really depends on what you want. You should remember that going to uni is an achievement in itself. You could always do your masters at another uni if you wanted to.
jc933
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Brunel is not so bad. My mate just graduated from that uni and has an excellent job, he did a similar subject but cant remember off the top of my head. If the university you were going to was actually bad then I would reconsider my answer.
OriC13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Obviously going to a higher ranked/more well known uni would help you out, but as long as you get work experience/internships then you've got a chance at competing for good graduate jobs.
Neilos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know people with degrees from 'bad' universities who've done exceptionally well. Outside certain fields, employers don't usually care where the degree is from, only that it's a degree...
swizz22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by brokenchronos)
brunel isn't that bad, at least you didn't get into greenwich
Can i still get a good job if i go to brunel for economics?
idek2700
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i mean you could do a foundation year at a russel group with those grades. pretty sure Leeds and Loughborough were accepting students with ccd for their foundation year course. i think Brunel is a decent uni though, so i would take it tbh
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's for you to judge. How much better than their standard offer (BBB, I believe) do you think that you could get? If you realistically think that you can get significantly better (~AAA), then i t might be worth a resit, depending upon the resit policy of your new target universities. Another reason might be that you cannot afford London prices. You need to decide how much another university is worth, verses spending another year - I suspect that you're better off sticking with Brunel. Good luck.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Economics isn't my area, but some do achieve good careers with degrees from lower-ranking universities. Some people really find their academic stride at university. The issue is that, if you continue to perform at the 'A' level CCD standard, you won't be one of them. Sorry for being so blunt.

Without a foundation year, you are going to have to work very hard, which they think you can do. Good luck.
brokenchronos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As long as you get a good grade at the end of your course such as a 2:1 or 1st then you should be fine, just make sure you pick a year with industry, as that will give you an advantage.
username4410594
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As others have said Brunel is not bad at all, its a mid tier uni. I would say aim for that High 2.1 or first and you will do well from there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?