katiecatp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m wanting to start at Bournemouth University and study mental health nursing but I’m worried I won’t be able to cope.

It says online that you do 37.5 hours per week in study time, lectures etc and 37.5 hours per week on placement. Almost 80 hours per week is a lot for me.

I have M.E (chronic fatigue syndrome) and am worried I won’t cope. Do you really do 80 hours per week or has the website not explained it well and the hours are more split up?

Thanks x
student170999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Katie,

I am studying mental health nursing at MMU and just passed my first year so I will be going onto year 2 in September. I'm going to be 100% truthful with you, it is hard. Placements are difficult when you're doing 37.5 hours a week and btw this figure excludes breaks so you're actually in longer than 37.5 hours. I'd advise you to do your research with the uni as every uni is different and definitely consider how you'll be travelling to placements. To give you a general idea, most placements start at 7.30am and onwards so they are early starts. You can do a mix of early, late and long shifts (depending on your placement) and you will also have to do a certain amount of nights over the 3 years. My uni states we have to do 150 hours of nights from year 2 onwards but we can also do it in our 1st year. Have a look at a general timetable from your uni as that'll show how your placements are spaced out. At my uni I did 4 weeks first, but with a week in between at uni to ease us into it. Had christmas off then I did 5 weeks straight of placement. Went back to uni, another 5 weeks of placement at a different place, back to 5 weeks at uni to do exams and then another 5 weeks on placement. I just finished my last shift on sat 17th aug. It's not similar to other undergrad courses as your timetable will span over the full year. Check with your uni when you'll get your holidays too. I would say you're right in being worried about being unable to cope as you have M.E however if you really feel that mental health nursing is for you, then you have to be prepared to do these placements. Another NMC requirement is 2300 clinical hours and 2300 theory hours - over 3 years of study.

All the best,

Ruhe
katiecatp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by student170999)
Hi Katie,

I am studying mental health nursing at MMU and just passed my first year so I will be going onto year 2 in September. I'm going to be 100% truthful with you, it is hard. Placements are difficult when you're doing 37.5 hours a week and btw this figure excludes breaks so you're actually in longer than 37.5 hours. I'd advise you to do your research with the uni as every uni is different and definitely consider how you'll be travelling to placements. To give you a general idea, most placements start at 7.30am and onwards so they are early starts. You can do a mix of early, late and long shifts (depending on your placement) and you will also have to do a certain amount of nights over the 3 years. My uni states we have to do 150 hours of nights from year 2 onwards but we can also do it in our 1st year. Have a look at a general timetable from your uni as that'll show how your placements are spaced out. At my uni I did 4 weeks first, but with a week in between at uni to ease us into it. Had christmas off then I did 5 weeks straight of placement. Went back to uni, another 5 weeks of placement at a different place, back to 5 weeks at uni to do exams and then another 5 weeks on placement. I just finished my last shift on sat 17th aug. It's not similar to other undergrad courses as your timetable will span over the full year. Check with your uni when you'll get your holidays too. I would say you're right in being worried about being unable to cope as you have M.E however if you really feel that mental health nursing is for you, then you have to be prepared to do these placements. Another NMC requirement is 2300 clinical hours and 2300 theory hours - over 3 years of study.

All the best,

Ruhe
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I already have a full time job around 35-42 hours per week as a care Support Worker for adults with learning disabilities and mental health issues. I absolutely love it, I’m just wanting to progress my career further x
student170999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by katiecatp)
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I already have a full time job around 35-42 hours per week as a care Support Worker for adults with learning disabilities and mental health issues. I absolutely love it, I’m just wanting to progress my career further x
Hi Katie,

In that case, I think you'll actually be completely fine with the course! Just read up on the stuff from your uni and make sure to be a good planner. If you are a care support worker, then I'd recommend keeping this job but dropping hours as it's very useful having a job on the side.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m wanting to start at Bournemouth University and study mental health nursing but I’m worried I won’t be able to cope.

It says online that you do 37.5 hours per week in study time, lectures etc and 37.5 hours per week on placement. Almost 80 hours per week is a lot for me.

I have M.E (chronic fatigue syndrome) and am worried I won’t cope. Do you really do 80 hours per week or has the website not explained it well and the hours are more split up?

Thanks x
In my experience, they overestimate the time you'll need each week, but some weeks you are super busy, especially around assignment deadlines. Have you informed them of your health conditions? If you can't handle it, maybe consider doing it part time? I have a few chronic health conditions and I work 27 hours a week, I'm studying part time with the OU.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks x
You’re not on placement and in uni at the same time.
BU Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Thanks x
As far as I'm aware most of our health and social science degrees are structured so that you'll be in the classroom for "six weeks" and then on placement for "six weeks" - This allows you to learn but get hands on experience too. I do know that nurses and paramedics have to do the hours of the person they are shadowing on placement, so it could mean night shifts. I'm not sure how flexible this could be.

I would recommend you attending an open day where you can discuss any concerns with the academic team. You can also contact the team by scrolling to the "our staff" section on the mental health nursing course page and viewing their staff profile.

Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

Vicki
Emily_B
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There's no way a uni, or a placement area, would even dream of making you do 80 hours a week.
As other people have said, you're not on placement AND in uni at the same time. Blocks of placement and blocks of uni are the norm, where approximately 37.5 hours of either work or study are the norm - 48 hours is the currently the max they can't make you work over (thanks to the European Working Time Directive), however with a 48hr week you may find yourself with a shorter week either just before or just after.

I already have a full time job around 35-42 hours per week as a care Support Worker for adults with learning disabilities and mental health issues. I absolutely love it, I’m just wanting to progress my career further x
Seems like you'll be fine with the placement hours then.

Good luck with it from a nearly no longer student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University