Waif888
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
After a massive struggle to get my PhD done, with very little support from my uni, I finally managed to submit in July. Hurrah! The only problem is that my supervisor has not filled out any of the paper-work, contacted any potential examiners or even emailed me for many months. I have taken this higher, and despite apologies and prompts, to my knowledge no progress has been made. It's a bit of a nightmare as I have had multiple supervisors during my degree and multiple issues with support. Once I even had to pull out of a conference because the funding form was not signed in time. I have had to cancel my graduation and am currently in limbo unable to apply for post docs or teaching posts. Any advice? I am tempted to start contacting potential examiners myself or even take it to the NUS or uni leadership team. After all the effort I put in, and multiple academic publications, it is so frustrating that the uni cannot even organise the viva.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's August, I don't know where you are, but where I am everything has ground to a halt, people are on holiday and others are busy doing other stuff.

By all means let off steam here or elsewhere outside of uni, but it really might be a little slow at this time of year.
Deggs_14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What university are you at and what’s the topic of your thesis?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you might jeopardise things by contacting examiners yourself - at my uni, that would be a huge breach of regulations/procedures, so I imagine that would be the same at many other institutions. Really sorry to hear you are in this situation though. I think getting some advice from the SU (if you haven't already) about how to escalate this matter to higher-up authorities within the uni, should be your next move...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.43%
Disagree (4)
7.55%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.3%
Agree (18)
33.96%
Strongly Agree (11)
20.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise