clareleaver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all. I intend on resitting my A Levels in economics, politics and further maths as I did not do as well as I had hoped due to extenuating circumstances. I was wondering if there are any particularly good retake colleges anyone might recommend? I am interested in enrolling in MPW London - anyone has any experience/insight about what it is like and whether it is worth the cost? Finally, would resitting my A Levels put me in a disadvantage for PPE at the likes of Warwick, Durham, UCL, Oxford, Manchester, etc.? I have received responses from a few of these universities and they all seem to fall along the nondescript lines of 'no it shouldn't be too much of a disadvantage but there's no guarantee'. Would really appreciate any insight of anyone's experience of applying to such courses/universities having resat their A Levels! Thanks x
WhAtsUp01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I couldn't recommend David Game more. They are amazing at retakes. I'm so happy with my results, they literally saved my education.

Hope you find a decent course and good luck at Uni next year.
Claypotrose
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi I dont have any advice to give but I'm in a similar situation to you but I want to retake maths chem and bio. And I was thinking of going to mpw I've got the interview on Thursday, have you visited and do you like it? I've heard a few things about it that have put me off.
clareleaver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Claypotrose)
Hi I dont have any advice to give but I'm in a similar situation to you but I want to retake maths chem and bio. And I was thinking of going to mpw I've got the interview on Thursday, have you visited and do you like it? I've heard a few things about it that have put me off.
Heya. Actually, I sent my papers in for a remark and my grades managed to improve such that I was accepted at my first choice university, so I won't be resitting my A Levels anymore. I haven't visited MPW so I'm still as clueless about it as I was before, I'm afraid. I hear that they are the more expensive option out of almost all retake colleges, and that they have a druggie reputation. However, I had a friend who went there and said that most of her friends who were retaking their A Levels managed to secure pretty good university places and that they all had a good time whilst doing so. I suppose they are still a good school, but I'm just not sure that they are the best school on offer, especially to justify their higher fees. I'm sorry I can't be of much else help, but I wish you all the best with the future! x
Claypotrose
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by clareleaver)
Heya. Actually, I sent my papers in for a remark and my grades managed to improve such that I was accepted at my first choice university, so I won't be resitting my A Levels anymore. I haven't visited MPW so I'm still as clueless about it as I was before, I'm afraid. I hear that they are the more expensive option out of almost all retake colleges, and that they have a druggie reputation. However, I had a friend who went there and said that most of her friends who were retaking their A Levels managed to secure pretty good university places and that they all had a good time whilst doing so. I suppose they are still a good school, but I'm just not sure that they are the best school on offer, especially to justify their higher fees. I'm sorry I can't be of much else help, but I wish you all the best with the future! x
That's okay and thank you and I'm so happy to hear that well done! I guess I'll just wait and see on Thursday then thank you
student424
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by clareleaver)
Hi all. I intend on resitting my A Levels in economics, politics and further maths as I did not do as well as I had hoped due to extenuating circumstances. I was wondering if there are any particularly good retake colleges anyone might recommend? I am interested in enrolling in MPW London - anyone has any experience/insight about what it is like and whether it is worth the cost? Finally, would resitting my A Levels put me in a disadvantage for PPE at the likes of Warwick, Durham, UCL, Oxford, Manchester, etc.? I have received responses from a few of these universities and they all seem to fall along the nondescript lines of 'no it shouldn't be too much of a disadvantage but there's no guarantee'. Would really appreciate any insight of anyone's experience of applying to such courses/universities having resat their A Levels! Thanks x
I'm interested in MPW and David Game out of curiosity. Don't understand how you apply via UCAS when you have 2 results and are re-taking the 3rd. What do you do....put down 2 results and 1 predicted grade? Also, how can these companies predict grades when you only do a year with them? It seems an incredible amount of money. Wouldn't tutors be able better option all round? The results on their websites don't look amazing. Intrigued. Any body with experience?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Arisapo
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve just resat my A-Levels but my experience is completely different to yours; I studied independently at home and just went into my old sixth form to sit the exams in June. Could that be a possibility or do you still feel you need to go back into college? It worked for me as I had all the resources already but if you’d prefer to get the assistance then there will be plenty of options.

As for whether they’d accept you, I got offers for Law from Nottingham, Exeter, York and Newcastle, which is pretty decent for resits on a competitive course. PPE is also competitive so it might be similar, although Oxford is probably a no-no, same for UCL and potentially Durham and Warwick. I should think you’d be fine with Manchester but of course check with them.

What did you obtain this time round and where do you hold an offer from? Unless it was an extremely near miss, Oxford would be a waste of time I’d imagine. UCL also has only a 24% offer rate and considering you’d be disadvantaged with resits, you’d have to have a pretty outstanding application to be in with a chance.

Edit: I’ve just realised you have extenuating circumstances which changes things; all unis should consider you with them, but whether you’d be disadvantaged is anyone’s guess. It really depends what the circumstances were and possibly how far off you were. They want to see you can handle the demands of the course and effectively it’ll be done on a case by case basis.
Last edited by Arisapo; 1 week ago
1Secord
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Claypotrose)
Hi, I’ve been thinking of retaking physics at MPW. I went to the interview and met the vice principal and the physics teacher, both were very nice and I was encouraged by what they said. I decided to enrol and I’ve since had my first lesson there in my class, there’s only eight other students and the teacher is very good at explaining and talking through the first module. I already feel confident that this teacher is a million times better than my physics teacher at my old school.

For me, the only thing that puts me off is travelling into London, I live just outside in Greater London but it still takes me 40 minutes on an overhead train then four stops on the tube for 20 minutes plus a bit of walking. The journey there and back is almost as long as the lessons and it cost me £6 to tap into London for my first lesson.

But I really want to improve my grades as my old school did not sufficiently help me - so resitting at my old school was not an option. I probably could self teach myself, but considering I did that mostly anyway for the last two year, I couldn’t guarantee myself a better grade, hence why I’m going to college.

So far, positive experience and I’m the only person on my course who previously sat OCR A physics, which is the current spec we are resitting so I think I will find it a bit easier than the others in my class as I already taught myself this once. It’s excellent revision and hopefully lots of Exam practice to help me get the grade I want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
6.56%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (69)
56.56%
No (45)
36.89%

Watched Threads