Aston University Computer Science Prep Watch

elianaozin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm about to enter Aston Universities Computer Science degree and I would love some help.
I really like being prepared and want to be ahead of the game when I enter university. If there are any previous students out there, is there any material I could read up on beforehand, books or online?
Also, I'm pretty confident in Python but what other languages will I be expected to learn at Aston, I'd rather start learning now.
Thanks!
Moonschool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi elianaozin

I already replied in your other method, but I thought I'd copy the reply here so other Aston students can see!

I'm a current Computer Science student at Aston, going into my final year, so hopefully I'll be able to help out!

The main programming language at Aston is Java. In the first term we will be using an IDE called BlueJ and in the second term (and probably throughout second year) they will teach you to use Eclipse (you can choose a different one, but you won't be supported with different IDEs).

The first year Java modules are based on the BlueJ book - Objects First With Java - A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ - which can be found in the Aston library when you arrive. Make sure you pick up a copy, as all the lectures will be referencing it!

At Aston we do not use Python, but of course the skills you've already learned from it will become useful!

In the first year, you will also learn the basics of the web (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) and learn about Computer Systems (CPU, binary, etc) as well as Maths (which I've earned from other students is easy if you've already done A-Level Maths).

The most important thing though is to not worry. As long as you complete your work each week, you will be on track to get a great grade. Don't stress too much about getting started before the term starts.

If you PM, I can send you a few lectures and some course specifications, if you want though.

Also, don't forget to join the Computer Science society during Freshers Week! They will be a big help during your first year, for sure!
Gyalist
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Moonschool

Hi,

I’m going to be doing Computer Science too at Aston University this year. During the 3 different years how much of it will we be assessed through examinations and how much will we be based through coursework?

In the first year I’m going to do 8 modules so how many will be Exams and how many will be coursework?

Many thanks,
Soon to be Aston Computer Science student.
Moonschool
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gyalist)
Moonschool

Hi,

I’m going to be doing Computer Science too at Aston University this year. During the 3 different years how much of it will we be assessed through examinations and how much will we be based through coursework?

In the first year I’m going to do 8 modules so how many will be Exams and how many will be coursework?

Many thanks,
Soon to be Aston Computer Science student.
Hi Gyalist

First, congrats on coming to Aston!

The CS course is mainly exams, but there are modules with coursework too. Generally it will be mixed assessed, e.g. 80% exam and 20% coursework. Each module is different. If there is a certain module you want the assessed percentages for, then I can send them you

For first year, one module is pure exam, one module is pure coursework and the rest of mixed. Exams are usually worth 70-90% of the module.

Hope this helps!
Hoodhokage
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
How much maths is involved?
Moonschool
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hoodhokage)
Hi,
How much maths is involved?
There is quite a bit, especially during the Maths module
pjin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there could you Pm me this? i cant pm you for some reason
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (14)
6.73%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (116)
55.77%
No (78)
37.5%

Watched Threads