The Student Room Group

Should you attend a speed awareness course even if your English isn’t good?

Doing this on behalf of my father,he was caught speeding and received the option to attend a speed awareness course instead of receiving 3 penalty points and a fine.He is contemplating whether he should go or just pay the fine and take 3 penalty points.He’s afraid that his English isn’t too good and he might not be able to pass the course or communicate with others or the teacher effectively.Can anyone give him some advice?
This is a fair consideration, that most of us take for granted.

I've never been in this position but can you contact those involved prior and ask this question.

Are there contact details for questions and support on the paperwork issued?. The Citizens Advice Bureau would also be worth contacting. I'd be surprised if this can't be accommodated.

Looking over other posts on the internet I can see situations where a friend was allowed to attend/translator was provided or additional flexibility was offered.

I also think there's a real challenge to justice/equality/inclusiveness if the state fails to provide reasonable adjustments based upon challenges to access. You shouldn't need to speak english to have the same rights as everyone else.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's not very taxing. I think he will be ok, perhaps take someone with him, even if they are not allowed to stay.

You listen to them lie to you for a while, and then have to answer some MCQ questions using a remote control on things like speed limits.
Reply 3
Lol just let him go and sit there.

He'd have to be brain-dead to not pass.
Just tell him to nod and smile
Thanks everyone for the replies,I will take into consideration what has been said when I talk with him.
Reply 6
Original post by Readthetextbook
Doing this on behalf of my father,he was caught speeding and received the option to attend a speed awareness course instead of receiving 3 penalty points and a fine.He is contemplating whether he should go or just pay the fine and take 3 penalty points.He’s afraid that his English isn’t too good and he might not be able to pass the course or communicate with others or the teacher effectively.Can anyone give him some advice?

It's not that big a deal, just some lectures and then a test. Also the test is pretty easy, anyone can pass XD

Quick Reply

Latest