TellMeWhy123232
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, really nervous because I’m unexpectedly joining Lancaster for uni and am worried about the diversity. I’m Muslim and Arab so it’s really important to me to have a good Muslim community around me. Please please help me out and give me some info on this. Also no idea what’s happening with my accommodation yet. Also have a couple more questions if thats ok x
Last edited by 04MR17; 4 weeks ago
aibii
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Omg I’m in the same situation, it was my insurance and even though I loved it both times I went to visit now I’m scared that there is going to be no ethnically diverse and Muslim people. I’m a Pakistani Muslim girl and just worried that I’m going to be isolated by flat mates cuz I don’t go out and drink so yeah having that community around u of people who get that is good.
TellMeWhy123232
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by aibii)
Omg I’m in the same situation, it was my insurance and even though I loved it both times I went to visit now I’m scared that there is going to be no ethnically diverse and Muslim people. I’m a Pakistani Muslim girl and just worried that I’m going to be isolated by flat mates cuz I don’t go out and drink so yeah having that community around u of people who get that is good.
Omg girl I’m legit confused on what to do, but I’ve accepted my offer. There is definetly an Isoc so that gives me hope😊 Are you going to Lancaster then?
Last edited by TellMeWhy123232; 4 weeks ago
aibii
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah I keep having doubts about going and yeah I saw there was Islamic society which is good but I think I’m just going to take a year out and reapply to Manchester next year because I’m not even sure about my course anymore.
TellMeWhy123232
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by aibii)
Yeah I keep having doubts about going and yeah I saw there was Islamic society which is good but I think I’m just going to take a year out and reapply to Manchester next year because I’m not even sure about my course anymore.
check ur messages! x
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TellMeWhy123232)
check ur messages! x
Hey guys,
Hopefully I can give you some information that'll help. You can specify in your accommodation for an all girls flat (or you can live in town). There's a private Islamic prayer room (only muslim students have access - this might be a place to meet other muslim girls?) and I also know students have gotten permission from lecturers to leave lectures half way through to pray. There's of course support during Ramadan and the Islamic Society is protected by the students union, this means it gets some funding to run events that are relevant. There's a fair amount of muslims on campus, some British and some internationals although it sadly isn't as diverse as some universities. The students union has spoken out against hate speech and racism and protested against some actions taken place. There's also activism groups that speak out against Islamophobia and, for example, support Palestine. In terms of drinking, an ensuite accommodation will increase the chance of international students who tend not to go out more (but this doesn't guarantee anything). Also, in freshers week there will be non-drinking events run alongside EVERY drinking event (and these are run by the relaxed freshers rep who organise non drinking events). Hopefully you'll be able to meet people who don't like to drink a lot. I don't drink (for other reasons) and I've found it no issue whilst at university so far!
Let me know if you have any questions,
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Muhu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Salaam, im actually part of the isoc exec. DM me and I can answer any queries. We have quite a nice arab population on campus and Arab society started last year. But just pop me a message.
Aaisha m
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I'm a current muslim Lancaster student and also on the ISOC exec. I did my accomodation later too but I just went through the university accomodation team and they arranged something for me after I applied online. In regards to diversity, there are a quite a few Muslims that you can meet especially if you go to events by ISOC. We'll be having something on every day for freshers week, which will give you a chance to meet other Muslims. You can find out where and when these will be if you follow us on any social media. I remember how daunting my first week was, but meeting people in a similar position to you helps a lot. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll try my best to reply!

Also, before starting university I downloaded this app called campus society. This is where many freshers can go to find people who are going to the same university and have similar courses. It can help to ease nerves as you can chat to someone who's going through a similar situation as you. It's a good way to find people on your course and make potential friends.
Last edited by Aaisha m; 2 weeks ago
Dexter321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Aaisha m)
Also, before starting university I downloaded this app called campus society. This is where many freshers can go to find people who are going to the same university and have similar courses. It can help to ease nerves as you can chat to someone who's going through a similar situation as you. It's a good way to find people on your course and make potential friends.
Thanks for this info. Struggling to find the app 'campus society'. We've looked on iPad and Android. What device did you use please?
Aaisha m
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dexter321)
Thanks for this info. Struggling to find the app 'campus society'. We've looked on iPad and Android. What device did you use please?
Hi, sorry I joined Lancaster university 2 years ago and the app was around then. A quick search has revealed it no longer exists. I'm sorry I wasn't aware of this.
Dexter321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Aaisha m)
Hi, sorry I joined Lancaster university 2 years ago and the app was around then. A quick search has revealed it no longer exists. I'm sorry I wasn't aware of this.
Thanks for looking and replying. I'm sure our daughter will make friends there anyway. All seemed a friendly bunch of ambassadors on the Offer Holder Day.....and the Open Day for that matter too. Definitely helps when tough decisions have to be made re which Uni.
Abz231
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by aibii)
lol exact same situation as you, same uni's as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (11)
5.79%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (105)
55.26%
No (74)
38.95%

Watched Threads