Morganchristian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’d like to do my EPQ on languages and linguistics purely because I find languages really interesting and I’m interested in studying linguistics at university. I really don’t know what to base my EPQ on more specifically and I’m not sure on my title I wanted to look at the development of language over a certain period e.g 1800 to 1900 however my teacher said that’s too broad, can anyone give me advice? Many thanks.
soup.bucket
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It really depends on what time in history you are interested in - for the 1800-1900 period, there are a lot of massively influential writers, as well as colonialism of the time (if you are interested in looking at English or languages of former colonies), which would be likely to have brought words from either language to the other and vice versa.

Here we see an example of this from https://www.thehistoryofenglish.com/...te_modern.html :

"But colonialism was a two-way phenomenon, and Britain’s dealings with these exotic countries, as well as the increase in world trade in general during this time, led to the introduction of many foreign loanwords into English. For instance, Australia gave us a set of words (not particularly useful outside the context of Australia itself) like boomerang, kangaroo, budgerigar, etc. But India gave us such everyday words as pyjamas, thug, bungalow, cot, jungle, loot, bangle, shampoo, candy, tank and many others."

I hope this is of some help to you (even though this above could be argued to be quite historical) , and even if not, I hope your EPQ goes well. Good luck!
Morganchristian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thankyou so much that’s really helpful I’ve decided I’m going to do it on the Romance Languages more specifically the title “To what extent are the Romance Language family closely related?” and compare their literature, language structure, origins, cultures, history etc...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?