When should I start revising for my GCSE’s?

Watch
Kateelliekate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m a y8 student going into y9. I am starting my GCSE subjects this year (Eng lit, Eng Lang, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Spanish and business) and my Mum has bought me all of the CGP books/flascards for all of the subjects. Before I start my year should I look through all of the books and be ahead of everyone else? When should I start revising for my GCSE’s?

Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The best thing to do is revise as you go along. At the end of everyday go over what you did and at the weekend go over what you did that week. At half term holidays go over that half terms work, Christmas/Easter go over the term you just finished, and in the summer holidays go over the entire year. It sounds like a lot but it will make gcse revision in y11 a lot easier as you will have gone over topics multiple times in the past and a quick flick through notes will refresh your memory. I personally wouldn’t read ahead because then you may potentially find the lessons boring as you won’t be learning new stuff.
Good luck!!!
Kateelliekate
Rep:
?
Thankyou. Do you know what subjects are the hardest ones out of the one's I'm studing ?
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
not anytime soon luv...keep up with notes and revise for section tests and end of years. proper hang out around summer y10 or during y11. most gcse stuff is pure memorisation which is better to learn closer to exam season x
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Kateelliekate)
Thankyou. Do you know what subjects are the hardest ones out of the one's I'm studing ?
honestly depends on how you find them. do you find maths/sciences easier or English?
nzy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
English. English GCSE is the worst. Apart from that, you have the freedom of taking it pretty slow until Year 11.
DoIce
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Revise lightly for end of term exams in Y9/Y10, if you're someone who's very organised, start writing notes from Y9/Y10 but please don't put pressure on yourself until Year 11
Kateelliekate
Rep:
?
(Original post by mez_merising)
honestly depends on how you find them. do you find maths/sciences easier or English?
(mez_merising) I have always been in top set for Maths and I find it really easy. We have already done the foundation paper in the first term of y8. In y9 we will be going onto the higher paper straight away.

In science again I have always been in top set. In our school, only top set are allowed to do separate sciences (triple science) and I’m doing that. I find science easier than English but a little bit harder than maths because there is a lot more to remember.

For English we have 4 sets and I’m the 2nd set. I have always struggled a bit more in English. This is probably because I am a very slow writer and my vision isn’t the best (I need glasses). Most of the time, it is because my vision is poor. I misread the question or I can’t get my head around what the question is asking me and I can’t think about how to structure my answer. I am still pretty good at English though and I’ve improved a lot more in y8.

Any advice? So, which subjects do you think I will find the hardest?
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(mez_merising) I have always been in top set for Maths and I find it really easy. We have already done the foundation paper in the first term of y8. In y9 we will be going onto the higher paper straight away.

In science again I have always been in top set. In our school, only top set are allowed to do separate sciences (triple science) and I’m doing that. I find science easier than English but a little bit harder than maths because there is a lot more to remember.

For English we have 4 sets and I’m the 2nd set. I have always struggled a bit more in English. This is probably because I am a very slow writer and my vision isn’t the best (I need glasses). Most of the time, it is because my vision is poor. I misread the question or I can’t get my head around what the question is asking me and I can’t think about how to structure my answer. I am still pretty good at English though and I’ve improved a lot more in y8.

Any advice? So, which subjects do you think I will find the hardest?
well you have definitely put thought into this which is excellent to see! and yep I get that with English however being 2nd set is not the end of the world! when do you get your glasses? and don’t worry, English will come with time especially structure I didn’t get it down fully until y10 mocks!

well just by judging from what you’ve said I think you’ll find essay subjects more difficult eg. history and rs but yourenot taking them so it’s fine. geo and business have mini essays but as long as you learn from the markscheme you should be fine

oh and coming back to your original post I kinda forgot to answer the last parts: yes defo look over work from the last year, this won’t necessarily put you ahead of everyone else (your focus should be on you, not anyone else ok) but will definitely make your life easier.

imo, cgp guides are great and the Flashcards are ok but it’s best to make them ypurself out of scrap paper or card or online like on quizlet. Seneca is good for content learning but the best resource is the subject specification which you can find on the exam board website - it comes directly from the people writing your paper so defo print them out when you find out what boards you’re doing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (22)
73.33%
No (4)
13.33%
Not sure (4)
13.33%

Watched Threads