The Student Room Group

Why is the computer science requirement for oxford lower than for cambridge?

I am planning to apply for computer science at oxford rather than at Cambridge as I was predicted A*AA and meet the requirements only for oxford but is there a reason for it being lower as the requirements are usually the same for most subjects in both unis. Cos if the difference is in the degree and the degree from oxford is not as valuable I might consider not applying.
There are quite a few courses where the Cambridge offer is higher than Oxford. Maths is the most obvious example - the Cambridge offer generally involves the very hard STEP exams. They give out loads of offers, but lots of people miss them.

This is because of different approaches. Oxford relies more on entrance exams and has a much higher application to offer ratio. They just don't rely on A-levels as much.
Humanities courses are lower at Oxford too, AAA usually instead of A*AA, I think for the reasons nexttime said, so it’s not just comp sci being weird
Reply 3
Original post by Adithya09
I am planning to apply for computer science at oxford rather than at Cambridge as I was predicted A*AA and meet the requirements only for oxford but is there a reason for it being lower as the requirements are usually the same for most subjects in both unis. Cos if the difference is in the degree and the degree from oxford is not as valuable I might consider not applying.

Most courses at ox have lower requirements than Camb: mine was A*AA from ox whereas the NatSci equivalent at camb is A*A*A + I have friends doing history who had AAA offers from Oxford but others with A*A*A offers from camb.
From what I’ve heard Cambridge gives out more offers after interview with the expectation that fewer people will meet these higher grades. So whilst an Oxford offer is lower, this is because the tutors expect almost all of those they give offers to to be joining them in October. People have also said to me that Oxford & Cambridge weigh the various factors differently in admissions - Cambridge historically placed a great emphasis on AS/A level grades whereas Oxford considers entrance exam performance a better indicator of suitability for the course & hence have been using things like the PAT for over a decade despite Cambridge only recently implementing these exams.
So offer grades aren’t the best indicator to go by in choosing a course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending