New East Slope accommodation townhouses Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can someone tell me what the new East Slope accommodation townhouses are like in terms of comfort, location and social life?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I also just got allocated these for next year! Although I haven't lived there yet, I'm super excited as I have seen them in person. They are the newest accommodation, have small double beds and a very large social space. So definitely very comfortable! I really like the location, it's quite central on campus but also has its own neighbourhood like feel. And I've heard good things about social life from second years

Hope this helps!!
chloerachel2199
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hey, i lived in camber 11E last year and it was amazing!! bear with me this is super ****ing long but i think i've covered just about anything you'd need to know

the bedrooms / general layout: the house has three floors, 1x en-suite bed on the ground floor next to the kitchen, a guest toilet downstairs, and the top two floors have 5x bedrooms each, with a bathroom on each end of the shared corridor. the rooms are great, they vary very slightly in size but all have 3/4 size beds which are relatively comfy with storage underneath. the rooms come with a lamp and beanbag, and a very small radiator which is enough to dry your towel on. if you're gonna be drying clothes i'd highly recommend bringing a collapsible drying rack for your room.

bathrooms: i had to share a bathroom with another girl (depending on who decides to take which bathroom, you share with up to two others) but other than that it was fab. you just need to remember to clear your stuff out once a week when the cleaner comes and bring plenty of loo roll!

the kitchen is shared between you and your 10 housemates, with two small cupboards + a drawer each (it's a pain because you will more than likely have to keep some non-perishables and bigger pans in your room instead) but you get two massive kitchen tables with durable plastic chairs, and also a lounge area with fabric sofa-chairs that you can rearrange however you like, plus a coffee table and a tv stand. the great thing about the townhouses is that your kitchen's on the ground floor (and it's massive!) so you can have decent parties without worrying about noise complaints, and there's a big back door that opens onto a shared little patio walkway which backs onto a wooded area. plus it's way easier if you're a smoker. just remember to lock the back door because it's the only door in the house without an automatic lock, other than the bathrooms ofc. (sidenote: the toasters are super strong so don't turn it up to a four unless you want the fire alarm to go off!)

location: i'd say the only drawback living in Camber specifically (situated at the top of Campus, above Brighthelm, Bodiam & Lullington) is the fact that it's a long walk to lectures and basically to the rest of campus - there are three choices of paths - two different flights of steps which are equally crappy, or a huge hill around East Slope reception (Boiler House Hill) but you get used to the walk, and i never had to pay for a gym membership bc that kept me fit! also the reception is a bit too far away from the houses (5 min walk?) but you get used to that too. the co-op is situated at the bottom of the steps near reception and is about a 5 min walk if you're quick.

reception + common areas: the reception is on Boiler House Hill and is about a 5 min walk from the Camber houses (I was in No. 11 which was a bit further) and that's where you'll collect your post, do your washing, report lockouts, etc. It's a pretty huge building with accommodation attached, so you need your key-card to get in. There are loads of little postboxes, one for each house, and you'll need your key-card to open and close them. To collect post, there'll be a little slip of paper inside the postbox which you'll need to show the front desk, along with your student ID. (if you forget your ID don't worry, they can search the computer for you, but they can get annoyed about it sometimes!) also in the reception is a big common area with sofas and tables, a pool table, vending machines and the laundry room. there are private study rooms which you can rent too, which have TVs in them. the main common room has 2 tv's which i've seen people connect playstations and laptops up to. the laundry room is pretty small so try and go at non-peak times so as to avoid getting there with all your washing only to have to wait an hour for a free machine! (especially since the walk from camber is pretty long, esp with a washing basket.) there are also benches outside reception so they're good for studying on a sunny day.

bear in mind that Camber is completely different to Bodiam / Lullington - Bodiam are also townhouses, but i believe they're smaller with less people, and they're closer to reception. Lullington are flats which are shared between 5 or 6 people and most (i think) are en-suite. they're both much closer/attached to reception but if you smoke it's rly inconvenient to have to take a lift outside.

also the key-cards used to open the doors in east slope are annoying as hell as you can lock yourself out rly easily. i've had to ring the porters a fair few times. whatever you do, don't press the green button on your door, as it'll render your keycard useless and lock you out! best thing to do is get a lanyard and keep it around your neck at all times lol. you can use the landline phone located in the living area of the kitchen to direct dial the porters and if they're nice, they'll come up to the house without you having to leave.

one more thing - the fire alarms can be super sensitive!! so be careful when you're cooking, use the extractor fans and leave the back door open if you can. no one likes to be woken up by someone burning toast at 4am, and it's not just your house's alarm that'll go off - it's the whole block! plus they go off in the rooms too and your lights begin to flash - literally impossible to sleep through.

also - if you see this before moving in:
- don't buy a kettle or a toaster (there are two of each in the kitchen already)
- bring plenty of tea-towels and bin-bags bc they will get stolen/damaged
- bring a big bin if you have one (or buy a cheap one as a flat, basically the ones u get in the kitchen are tiny and will need emptying after a couple days)
- get there as early as u can and nab a good cupboard and fridge space in the kitchen (in my experience, the cupboard closest to the fridge and a whole shelf in the middle of the fridge are best + the bottom drawer of the freezer is slightly bigger than the rest so put your stuff in that one if u can!)

+ remember to book an early moving-in slot, but if yours is late i'd get there early regardless because most people turned up at random times last year anyways, but beware there aren't many parking spaces

i've included some pics i had of the house for reference

overall, i'm obviously biased but i'd say Camber is the best accommodation at uni (i've been told so by my mates from other accoms too!) i made friends with loads of people from our block (around 5 houses joined together) and people from beyond that too. + when it was nice weather, people sat out the front of the houses together on their beanbags which was cute. sry that was super long, but if you want to know anything else feel free to lmk!! also hmu on instagram if it's urgent bc i don't check this often (it's @/chloerachel_)
Last edited by chloerachel2199; 3 weeks ago
zsax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chloerachel2199)
hey, i lived in camber 11E last year and it was amazing!! bear with me this is super ****ing long but i think i've covered just about anything you'd need to know

the bedrooms / general layout: the house has three floors, 1x en-suite bed on the ground floor next to the kitchen, a guest toilet downstairs, and the top two floors have 5x bedrooms each, with a bathroom on each end of the shared corridor. the rooms are great, they vary very slightly in size but all have 3/4 size beds which are relatively comfy with storage underneath. the rooms come with a lamp and beanbag, and a very small radiator which is enough to dry your towel on. if you're gonna be drying clothes i'd highly recommend bringing a collapsible drying rack for your room.

bathrooms: i had to share a bathroom with another girl (depending on who decides to take which bathroom, you share with up to two others) but other than that it was fab. you just need to remember to clear your stuff out once a week when the cleaner comes and bring plenty of loo roll!

the kitchen is shared between you and your 10 housemates, with two small cupboards + a drawer each (it's a pain because you will more than likely have to keep some non-perishables and bigger pans in your room instead) but you get two massive kitchen tables with durable plastic chairs, and also a lounge area with fabric sofa-chairs that you can rearrange however you like, plus a coffee table and a tv stand. the great thing about the townhouses is that your kitchen's on the ground floor (and it's massive!) so you can have decent parties without worrying about noise complaints, and there's a big back door that opens onto a shared little patio walkway which backs onto a wooded area. plus it's way easier if you're a smoker. just remember to lock the back door because it's the only door in the house without an automatic lock, other than the bathrooms ofc. (sidenote: the toasters are super strong so don't turn it up to a four unless you want the fire alarm to go off!)

location: i'd say the only drawback living in Camber specifically (situated at the top of Campus, above Brighthelm, Bodiam & Lullington) is the fact that it's a long walk to lectures and basically to the rest of campus - there are three choices of paths - two different flights of steps which are equally crappy, or a huge hill around East Slope reception (Boiler House Hill) but you get used to the walk, and i never had to pay for a gym membership bc that kept me fit! also the reception is a bit too far away from the houses (5 min walk?) but you get used to that too. the co-op is situated at the bottom of the steps near reception and is about a 5 min walk if you're quick.

reception + common areas: the reception is on Boiler House Hill and is about a 5 min walk from the Camber houses (I was in No. 11 which was a bit further) and that's where you'll collect your post, do your washing, report lockouts, etc. It's a pretty huge building with accommodation attached, so you need your key-card to get in. There are loads of little postboxes, one for each house, and you'll need your key-card to open and close them. To collect post, there'll be a little slip of paper inside the postbox which you'll need to show the front desk, along with your student ID. (if you forget your ID don't worry, they can search the computer for you, but they can get annoyed about it sometimes!) also in the reception is a big common area with sofas and tables, a pool table, vending machines and the laundry room. there are private study rooms which you can rent too, which have TVs in them. the main common room has 2 tv's which i've seen people connect playstations and laptops up to. the laundry room is pretty small so try and go at non-peak times so as to avoid getting there with all your washing only to have to wait an hour for a free machine! (especially since the walk from camber is pretty long, esp with a washing basket.) there are also benches outside reception so they're good for studying on a sunny day.

bear in mind that Camber is completely different to Bodiam / Lullington - Bodiam are also townhouses, but i believe they're smaller with less people, and they're closer to reception. Lullington are flats which are shared between 5 or 6 people and most (i think) are en-suite. they're both much closer/attached to reception but if you smoke it's rly inconvenient to have to take a lift outside.

also the key-cards used to open the doors in east slope are annoying as hell as you can lock yourself out rly easily. i've had to ring the porters a fair few times. whatever you do, don't press the green button on your door, as it'll render your keycard useless and lock you out! best thing to do is get a lanyard and keep it around your neck at all times lol. you can use the landline phone located in the living area of the kitchen to direct dial the porters and if they're nice, they'll come up to the house without you having to leave.

one more thing - the fire alarms can be super sensitive!! so be careful when you're cooking, use the extractor fans and leave the back door open if you can. no one likes to be woken up by someone burning toast at 4am, and it's not just your house's alarm that'll go off - it's the whole block! plus they go off in the rooms too and your lights begin to flash - literally impossible to sleep through.

also - if you see this before moving in:
- don't buy a kettle or a toaster (there are two of each in the kitchen already)
- bring plenty of tea-towels and bin-bags bc they will get stolen/damaged
- bring a big bin if you have one (or buy a cheap one as a flat, basically the ones u get in the kitchen are tiny and will need emptying after a couple days)
- get there as early as u can and nab a good cupboard and fridge space in the kitchen (in my experience, the cupboard closest to the fridge and a whole shelf in the middle of the fridge are best + the bottom drawer of the freezer is slightly bigger than the rest so put your stuff in that one if u can!)

+ remember to book an early moving-in slot, but if yours is late i'd get there early regardless because most people turned up at random times last year anyways, but beware there aren't many parking spaces

i've included some pics i had of the house for reference

overall, i'm obviously biased but i'd say Camber is the best accommodation at uni (i've been told so by my mates from other accoms too!) i made friends with loads of people from our block (around 5 houses joined together) and people from beyond that too. + when it was nice weather, people sat out the front of the houses together on their beanbags which was cute. sry that was super long, but if you want to know anything else feel free to lmk!! also hmu on instagram if it's urgent bc i don't check this often (it's @/chloerachel_)
Hi, I will be living in Camber this year. I'm wondering if there are loads of storage space? like how did you store your shoes? and do they provide a mirror in each bedroom?
chloerachel2199
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zsax)
Hi, I will be living in Camber this year. I'm wondering if there are loads of storage space? like how did you store your shoes? and do they provide a mirror in each bedroom?
hey. the beds open up and underneath there's a lot of storage space, but it's quite difficult to access if (like me) you're not the strongest individual as u basically have to lift up your whole mattress/bed to open it and keep it open. you get one standard sized wardrobe which has space at the bottom for shoes and a shelf above the clothes rail, which i used for trousers/jumpers etc. you get a filing cabinet under your desk (which is lockable) and i used that for all my toiletries and stationery. also there's a row of hooks next to the wardrobe for coats etc. in terms of storing your shoes, there's open floor space by the door to your bedroom which i used to line up my shoes (as i like them on display) or there's plenty of room under your desk also. there's a floor length mirror on the inside door of your wardrobe, and also a big mirror in each bathroom. i did bring storage boxes which i stacked above the wardrobe and also used to organise the storage under the bed though!
Last edited by chloerachel2199; 2 weeks ago
zsax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hey. the beds open up and underneath there's a lot of storage space, but it's quite difficult to access if (like me) you're not the strongest individual as u basically have to lift up your whole mattress/bed to open it and keep it open. you get one standard sized wardrobe which has space at the bottom for shoes and a shelf above the clothes rail, which i used for trousers/jumpers etc. you get a filing cabinet under your desk (which is lockable) and i used that for all my toiletries and stationery. also there's a row of hooks next to the wardrobe for coats etc. in terms of storing your shoes, there's open floor space by the door to your bedroom which i used to line up my shoes (as i like them on display) or there's plenty of room under your desk also. there's a floor length mirror on the inside door of your wardrobe, and also a big mirror in each bathroom. i did bring storage boxes which i stacked above the wardrobe and also used to organise the storage under the bed though!
thanks a lot for your help!
GinaTheWolf11
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Where did you get 3/4 bed sheets from? I'm struggling to find one anywhere lol
LotteF
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Amazon, Dunelm, Marks and Spencer and John Lewis all do them. Google 'small double fitted sheet' - they are much easier to find online than actually in the shops - Hope this helps - Charlotte
GinaTheWolf11
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LotteF)
Amazon, Dunelm, Marks and Spencer and John Lewis all do them. Google 'small double fitted sheet' - they are much easier to find online than actually in the shops - Hope this helps - Charlotte
Thanks
Anonymous #3
Report 6 days ago
Hey, just wanted to ask, does camber houses have a lift?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (206)
23.54%
Pop (216)
24.69%
Jazz (33)
3.77%
Classical (49)
5.6%
Hip-Hop (168)
19.2%
Electronic (60)
6.86%
Indie (143)
16.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise