The Student Room Group

Educational Psychology

I am currently heading into my fourth year of university studying Psychology. I've just undertaken a years placement as a teaching assistant at a special needs school. I aspire to go on to train as an educational psychologist.
I was wondering whether anyone that has gone this route or is planning to has any tips for me? I am planning to get a job straight from university and start applying from then on as I know the course is very competitive. Is this the right way? If so, what jobs should I look into getting?
Hi aliceroseew,

Sounds like your course is going well and you certainly seem inspired to continue in that career path. Did you have a chance to enquire about any work opportunities at the place you had your placement at? Perhaps they may be able to offer you a type of teaching assistant post?

From UCL's page on the Ed Psych doctorate, they state you will require at least one year's experience of working with children in education. I would imagine TA posts could support with this.

Experience of work with children in education, child care or community settings.

A minimum of one year's full-time equivalent (37 hours per week; 148 hours per month) work experience is required, one year must have been completed by the closing date for applications. You need to give the month and year in which any period of work started and finished and state how many full week equivalents were completed in the period, e.g. full time for 3 months would be 12 weeks, half-time for 3 months would be 6 weeks. You should give a clear description of what the work entailed and what your responsibilities were. See our work experience section for further, detailed, guidance on work experience.

All the best with it.
Don't know that much about educational psychology but TA is a very common destination, also SEN. A number of volunteers I have met have done it 2+ years.

Did you get any supervision from an educational psychologist in your TA job?

Quick Reply

Latest