The Student Room Group

GCSE requirements for Oxbridge Chemistry Degree?

What are the GCSE requirements for Oxbridge, if I wanted to do a chemistry degree?
Hey kiddo! No course at Oxford or Cambridge has any GCSE requirements, but I would suggest taking triple science as that will set you up better for the A-Levels required for Oxford chem or Cambridge natsci - chemistry of course, and physics/biology/maths as well!
Reply 2
Original post by nells45581
Hey kiddo! No course at Oxford or Cambridge has any GCSE requirements, but I would suggest taking triple science as that will set you up better for the A-Levels required for Oxford chem or Cambridge natsci - chemistry of course, and physics/biology/maths as well!

If I do well in my sciences at gcse, like very well but not so good in some others will it matter
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
If I do well in my sciences at gcse, like very well but not so good in some others will it matter

Son did Biology and was told 8A* or equivalent were the minimum required.

It would be good for you to try as hard as possible to do well across the board. Try for 8s or 9s in your sciences and maths, and at least 7s in the others, if you can. Oxbridge admissions tutors on this site have said they see a strong correlation between people who get a lot of 8s and 9s at GCSE and people who do well at their universities.
Original post by Scotney
Son did Biology and was told 8A* or equivalent were the minimum required.

There are no requirements at GCSE level, just people with stronger applications than others :smile:
Reply 6

Original post by nells45581
There are no requirements at GCSE level, just people with stronger applications than others :smile:

Actually they were quite brutal and said do not bother with less than 8 but you are technically correct.
Prsom scotney you are on fire today
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
Actually they were quite brutal and said do not bother with less than 8 but you are technically correct.

A significant difference here though is that Biology don't have an admissions test and Chemistry do (TSA), so Biology really only have GCSEs to shortlist with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending