Is it better to start on 3 year course THEN change to 4y course or not?

Watch
john_iqbal786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was reading up SW and summer internships and saw that SW are offered to first year students on a 3 year course, 2nd year students on a 4 year course. Summer internships are available to students in their penultimate year. I think I will likely study for the 4 year MEng of my course, however I am currently registered on the 3 year BEng and can only choose to switch at the end of 2nd year if my grades are good enough. This means I can currently apply to a SW for first year, 2nd year apply to an internship and if I fail then try again in year 3 after changing. But if I succeed and get on the internship second year, would you advise against changing to the 4 year course?Would this make banks less interested in me since I done the internship 2 years prior to graduation instead of 1 and also would they likely reject me for applying for year 3 if I already had a place in the second year or if I got rejected in the 2nd year. I need to weigh up all of the pros and cons of both situations and hoped someone could help me out. Do I choose to be registered on the MEng now or at the end of year 2. Any help would be appreciated.
PriceMechanism
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by john_iqbal786)
I was reading up SW and summer internships and saw that SW are offered to first year students on a 3 year course, 2nd year students on a 4 year course. Summer internships are available to students in their penultimate year. I think I will likely study for the 4 year MEng of my course, however I am currently registered on the 3 year BEng and can only choose to switch at the end of 2nd year if my grades are good enough. This means I can currently apply to a SW for first year, 2nd year apply to an internship and if I fail then try again in year 3 after changing. But if I succeed and get on the internship second year, would you advise against changing to the 4 year course?Would this make banks less interested in me since I done the internship 2 years prior to graduation instead of 1 and also would they likely reject me for applying for year 3 if I already had a place in the second year or if I got rejected in the 2nd year. I need to weigh up all of the pros and cons of both situations and hoped someone could help me out. Do I choose to be registered on the MEng now or at the end of year 2. Any help would be appreciated.
You've answered your own question. If you are technically enrolled on a 3 year course then you are eligible for SWs. If you then decide to change and go for a 4 year course then you would be eligible once again (assuming you were in your 2nd year at that point).

Let's say best case scenario you complete 3/4 spring weeks at BBs/Big 4, assuming you perform well, you would then be given a summer internship offer as a result of that - that would put you on a nice course for a grad job. The classic SW --> SA --> FT. I would spend your first year applying for springs as a Bachelors student, so you have some experience under your belt. I would also explore 1st year internships. I thing the Bank of England do one, and some places don't explicity state you "MUST" be in your pneultimate year. Then go into you 2nd/4th year and do the spring, internship, and get the FT job!

Econ and STEM are the biggest feeders of banking and finance, (I read somewhere that 40% of Physics students end up in finance), so doing a MEng vs a BEng will make no difference, you may actually be eligible for IBD Associate programmes and could skip a few years in your career!

What is key is to ensure you have a clear story for why you changed from BEng to a MEng. If it was just to "be eligible for some programmes" then the probably won't like it. I would keep you options open and switch to a MEng later down the line. This gives you flexibility and doesn't tie you in one place.

TL;DR
Do BEng, focus on summer internships for first year, and general knowledge enhancement. Switch to MEng and do the classic SW --> SA --> FT.
If you are unsure on BEng or MEng then do BEng and switch later if you want as that will stop you from being trapped.
Persona
john_iqbal786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by PriceMechanism)
You've answered your own question. If you are technically enrolled on a 3 year course then you are eligible for SWs. If you then decide to change and go for a 4 year course then you would be eligible once again (assuming you were in your 2nd year at that point).

Let's say best case scenario you complete 3/4 spring weeks at BBs/Big 4, assuming you perform well, you would then be given a summer internship offer as a result of that - that would put you on a nice course for a grad job. The classic SW --> SA --> FT. I would spend your first year applying for springs as a Bachelors student, so you have some experience under your belt. I would also explore 1st year internships. I thing the Bank of England do one, and some places don't explicity state you "MUST" be in your pneultimate year. Then go into you 2nd/4th year and do the spring, internship, and get the FT job!

Econ and STEM are the biggest feeders of banking and finance, (I read somewhere that 40% of Physics students end up in finance), so doing a MEng vs a BEng will make no difference, you may actually be eligible for IBD Associate programmes and could skip a few years in your career!

What is key is to ensure you have a clear story for why you changed from BEng to a MEng. If it was just to "be eligible for some programmes" then the probably won't like it. I would keep you options open and switch to a MEng later down the line. This gives you flexibility and doesn't tie you in one place.

TL;DR
Do BEng, focus on summer internships for first year, and general knowledge enhancement. Switch to MEng and do the classic SW --> SA --> FT.
If you are unsure on BEng or MEng then do BEng and switch later if you want as that will stop you from being trapped.
Persona
Thank you very much for your detailed response. You said best case scenario is I get 3/4 SW under my belt, does this mean you can take multiple SW? I assumed they would be running at the same dates but I guess I was wrong. The thing is in second year I don't think I could apply to SW as you can only change to the MEng at the end of the 2nd year and not at the start so I still be enrolled for the 3 year course and not eligible for SW I will still attempt to get a internship in 2nd year and if I can't I guess I will have another shot if I switch to the meng.

However, let's say best case scenario I got a internship 2nd year and they wanted to offer me a grad job or it was likely they would offer it upon graduation. If I decided to then take an extra year on the Meng would that make the chance of getting a full time role less likely?
PriceMechanism
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, you can do multiple SWs! You are right, that if you recieved multiple offers the you may have to decide (I had to pick between EY and PwC which was annoying!) Honestly dependent on offers. Some start really early like Macquire (last week of March), while most do 2nd week of April, so just apply everywhere you can and see what you can get. Max you can do is 5 cause that would be the entire Easter holiday (at least at my uni).

With regards to your internship question, I would say you are in a much better position to negotiate if you have an offer over not having one. So you may be able to get a deffered employment contract, but this doesn't always happen. What I will say, if having a good internship under your belt will make your CV way stronger compared to people applying for grad jobs without any internships.

This is a bit cheeky, but I would create 2 CVs - one with a 3 year course, and 1 with a 4 year course. That way you can apply to both - but I'm just some guy on the internet !

Can you change from MEng to BEng at the end of your third year? Is the transtion from BEng to MEng 100% guaranteed? If so, then just write whatever is convinient for you! Nobody has to know tbh. Especially, if you can drop out from a MEng or switch to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (135)
61.64%
I don't have everything I need (84)
38.36%

Watched Threads