The Student Room Group

How to secure a job before graduation?

I'm approaching my last year at university and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips to get a job straight after finishing?
Original post by amirahrahman97
I'm approaching my last year at university and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips to get a job straight after finishing?

Heya I went in to work straight after uni, the same day as handing in my final dissertation I went online and started applying for jobs, I think I had to apply for almost 100 before I managed to get a job as there is a lot of competition in my area. I just had to add a predicted grade for my BA(hons) before I got it and then when I got my results I just replaced it in my CV. Linkedin is great to and worth getting on :tongue: good luck xxx

Won't be too hard. Chances are your degree has been a waste of your time and you'll end up working somewhere that doesn't care what degree you did, just that you did one and are another object off the degree mill that is this country.

Hey :ciao:

One thing to think about is what have you done in your first few years at university/what can you do during the last year that will make you stand out to other graduates? Extra curricular activity such as having a role in Club/Society, voluntary placements, part-time work are all great examples of this.

Also, have you been in touch with your university's careers team? They are great for looking at CV writing, interview skills, finding jobs and applying for them. It may be useful to try and set up regular meeting with them over this coming year to really help you in these areas, rather than having one off meetings here and there.

Finally, applying for a lot of jobs (although it can be time consuming) could be useful as you become familiar with the application process and your know either 1) if you get interviews, you are doing something right! 2) you do not get invited to interviews, there may be something in your applications you need to work on and this is useful for self-reflection and for when you apply for jobs you really want!

I hope you find some of this useful, these are just some of my thoughts from having been in a similar situation.

Ste :beard:
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hey :ciao:

One thing to think about is what have you done in your first few years at university/what can you do during the last year that will make you stand out to other graduates? Extra curricular activity such as having a role in Club/Society, voluntary placements, part-time work are all great examples of this.

Also, have you been in touch with your university's careers team? They are great for looking at CV writing, interview skills, finding jobs and applying for them. It may be useful to try and set up regular meeting with them over this coming year to really help you in these areas, rather than having one off meetings here and there.

Finally, applying for a lot of jobs (although it can be time consuming) could be useful as you become familiar with the application process and your know either 1) if you get interviews, you are doing something right! 2) you do not get invited to interviews, there may be something in your applications you need to work on and this is useful for self-reflection and for when you apply for jobs you really want!

I hope you find some of this useful, these are just some of my thoughts from having been in a similar situation.

Must be hard to get a job when you're a Liverpool Hope graduate.
Original post by Paedo_ecolier

Hey there,

Here at Liverpool Hope, we are proud of our Graduate employment rates :u: 98.1% of our graduates are in employment or further study six months after graduating.

This makes us the first in England and second in the UK for graduate employment! :shakehand:

Hope this clears things up!

Recruitment agents - let them do the searching for you! They don't get paid unless they place you so its win/win.
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hey there,

Here at Liverpool Hope, we are proud of our Graduate employment rates :u: 98.1% of our graduates are in employment or further study six months after graduating.

This makes us the first in England and second in the UK for graduate employment! :shakehand:

Hope this clears things up!

How many of them actually work in fields related to their degree and how many go to work in fields that don't require a degree in the first place?
Reply 8

Know what sort of job you want to apply for, identify potential companies, find what their procedures (usually application form -> telephone interview -> aptitude test -> vid interview -> AC (which includes final interview oftenly) ) and opening/deadline day for application. Do this right now for the summer before you start your first semester.

Next step is to prepare for the application process: practice aptitude tests, create or redo cover letters and CVs (one per industry I'd say, though you should edit them every time you're applying to different companies). Grad jobs are super competitive, so even if you dont get a job its fine, instead use the summer to prepare to make applications in the coming September for entry level roles.
How many of them actually work in fields related to their degree and how many go to work in fields that don't require a degree in the first place?

Hey! :smile:

Graduates have the choice of going into jobs within their degree field, or, maybe exploring other areas that their degree has set them up for. Realistically, it is up to the student to decide on their path.

It is not uncommon across all universities for students to study a subject purely because they are passionate about it and then seek employment, using the skills they gained during their degree, within a different field.

Our careers team (and careers team in other universities, I'm sure) seek to support their students looking for employment however the students needs. :five:

I hope you find this useful!

ouch
apply to grad jobs before graduating?

convert a penultimate year internship to a full time offer?
Do internships, bulk up your experience, get involved at uni to demonstrate a variety of skills and competencies....and ofc get a 1st/2:1
Trying to secure a grad job before graduating will be tough.

I recommend you get some work experience - if you can do your diss on a work placement that would be good. But yeah, try and get some experience as much as possible. Any part-time internships.

What career would you like to go into once graduated?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending