Swansea university Kilvey accomodation

Watch
juliapea
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, Are there any past or current Swansea uni students who have lived in Kilvey hall on Singleton campus? Just wondered what it’s really like - have seen a few negative commments!
emmamaymurphy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My son has been allocated a room in Kilvey too
juliapea
Rep:
?
(Original post by emmamaymurphy)
My son has been allocated a room in Kilvey too
There must be lots of others too. Would be good to get a group going for everyone.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont know anything about the quality of the accommodation but it is very central just behind Fulton House and close to the Medical and Law schools though it isnt far to anywhere on campus. Can Swansea University Enquiries or Swansea University Residential Services help with this query.
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
swanseajack1 juliapea emmamaymurphy

I can provide a little bit more information that you may not have seen depending on how far into our website you may have gone. Please take a look at pages 11 and 12 of this document for a more detailed breakdown of Kilvey specifically.

That being said, I think it's fair to say that the OP is looking for impartial accounts of people who have actually lived there, so I won't try to provide a sales pitch! With that in mind, I'd consider the best course of action for any specific questions about the residence to be to call Residential Services on 01792 295101 or email them at [email protected]. The team don't have a social media presence at the moment (it's an incredibly busy time for them!), but they will answer any questions they recieve directly.

I hope that's helpful!

Jamie
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As I said earlier I know nothing about accommodation offered. If you are not happy there are numerous off campus private providers you could use if you prefer.
https://www.glcstudentproperties.com/
https://www.studentroost.co.uk/locations/swansea
https://omniaspace.co.uk/accommodation/oldway-centre/
juliapea
Rep:
?
Thanks James and swanseajack1.

Yes I had seen that document before but thanks for pointing me to it again as I hadn’t noticed the virtual tour link at the bottom of the page. Although the link does only give one example of a standard room and from the windows it looks to me like a Cefyn Bryn room rather than a Kilvey one. And in the document Kilvey and Rossili are put together so it’s impossible to tell which the interior photos are of. I might ring and ask as suggested.

Thanks for the links to the private accomodation. They look very new and shiny compared to the standard room on the link! It’s a tough decision for a fresher having only had chance to visit Swansea once so far. Is it better to be onsite where the course is and in older accomodation, or offsite and shiny new? 🙃
Last edited by juliapea; 1 year ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by juliapea)
Thanks James and swanseajack1.

Yes I had seen that document before but thanks for pointing me to it again as I hadn’t noticed the virtual tour link at the bottom of the page. Although the link does only give one example of a standard room and from the windows it looks to me like a Cefyn Bryn room rather than a Kilvey one. And in the document Kilvey and Rossili are put together so it’s impossible to tell which the interior photos are of. I might ring and ask as suggested.

Thanks for the links to the private accomodation. They look very new and shiny compared to the standard room on the link! It’s a tough decision for a fresher having only had chance to visit Swansea once so far. Is it better to be onsite where the course is and in older accomodation, or offsite and shiny new? 🙃
That unfortunately is only something you can answer. Do you want to be able to fall out of bed to go to lectures or do you want a 15-20 minutes bus ride. Both Oldway and Student Roost are walking distance from the heart of the nightlife whilst the campus is 2 miles away. If you stay on one of the new offline campuses then you will be sharing that accommodation with students at University of Wales Trinity St Davids and also with second and subsequent years students whereas on campus it is mainly first years students. Finally you need to consider the finance situation. I
know nothing about the other option GLC but it is cheaper, very close to Wind Street and the marina.
juliapea
Rep:
?
Gut feel is being with other first years and the later starts in the mornings sound good but will think on it overnight. Thanks for your help.

I know there is a bar on campus but is there much going on socially on Singleton campus or do most people go into town?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by juliapea)
Gut feel is being with other first years and the later starts in the mornings sound good but will think on it overnight. Thanks for your help.

I know there is a bar on campus but is there much going on socially on Singleton campus or do most people go into town?
Things may start off on campus but most nightlife especially student night on Weds ends up on Wind Street
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0&&FORM=VRDGAR
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D&&FORM=VRDGAR
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C&&FORM=VRDGAR
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4&&FORM=VRDGAR
Progressjohn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I recently graduated from Swansea University and I stayed at St. David's student accommodation (Student Roost) they have a mix of student from Singleton, Bay and Trinity college, loads of first years. The accommodation is beautiful, spacious and I really enjoyed the 24hrs security.Progress
Student Roost
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We currently have an offer on our Swansea accommodation where you can get a £150 Amazon gift Card for booking. Plus, you don't have to pay any deposit at all and you don't need to pay rent until October.

If you have any questions about St Davids we're happy to answer
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student Roost)
We currently have an offer on our Swansea accommodation where you can get a £150 Amazon gift Card for booking. Plus, you don't have to pay any deposit at all and you don't need to pay rent until October.

If you have any questions about St Davids we're happy to answer
Couldn't you just knock £150 off the price?
Student Roost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Couldn't you just knock £150 off the price?
We thought it would be a lot more helpful with an Amazon card as then you can save money buying all your essentials for uni
Student Roost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's also our little gift to say thank you for booking with us
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student Roost)
We thought it would be a lot more helpful with an Amazon card as then you can save money buying all your essentials for uni
:confused: what if you want to buy essentials for uni with cash and/or from somewhere other than Amazon?
Student Roost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
:confused: what if you want to buy essentials for uni with cash and/or from somewhere other than Amazon?
We wanted to give it as a thank you gift for students who book with us. What they spend the £150 voucher on is completely up to them
Last edited by Student Roost; 1 year ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Basically it is a con to try to attract students. You probably dont pay the £150 as you will have made an agreement with Amazon. It is part of your hard sell hence why you havent reduced the rent. £150 looks more attractive than £4 per week.
emmamaymurphy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Son has accepted Kilvey Halls. The accommodation may look tired, but location location location for those early morning lectures! Also no en-suite which is perfect for an untidy boy as the communal showers and toilets get cleaned weekly
(I speak from experience of older son who never cleaned his tiny en-suite at BSc -revolting- but has found it so much better having a shared bathroom for his MSc)
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emmamaymurphy)
Son has accepted Kilvey Halls. The accommodation may look tired, but location location location for those early morning lectures! Also no en-suite which is perfect for an untidy boy as the communal showers and toilets get cleaned weekly
(I speak from experience of older son who never cleaned his tiny en-suite at BSc -revolting- but has found it so much better having a shared bathroom for his MSc)
It has a perfect location. I have never been inside the hall but it is right by Fulton House where the nightclub, shop and restaurants are and where the buses go from. It is only a couple of buildings away from the Egypt centre in the Taliesyn. There has been scaffolding around it so they have clearly been doing some kind of refurbishment during the summer. You are certainly right about location but people have different needs and some prefer the comfort of the new private halls whilst others want to be as close as possible to the lectures. I hope your son enjoys himself during his time in Swansea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (226)
55.94%
I don't have everything I need (178)
44.06%

Watched Threads