The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

What is the best and cheapest way to get to Cardiff bay from Cardiff university?

I was wondering if the cycle to Cardiff bay is long and a safe viable option from Cardiff university. Alternatively, what are the cheaper options for public transport? Thanks
Original post by Nn29cnnc
I was wondering if the cycle to Cardiff bay is long and a safe viable option from Cardiff university. Alternatively, what are the cheaper options for public transport? Thanks

Hi @Nn29cnnc,

The length of the cycle to Cardiff Bay from Cardiff University depends where you are starting and finishing. However, generally it should take around 30 minutes. It is a lovely route, most of which can be taken along the Taff Trail. This is a popular walking and cycle path that runs for 55 miles between Cardiff Bay and Brecon in Wales. It follows the course of the River Taff. If you will be studying with us, you can take advantage of free nextbike annual memberships, with 30 minutes free per trip.Hire stations and bicycles are in close proximity to many University buildings across both our campuses.

Alternatively, there are many buses and train services within the city centre, its suburbs and to various destinations outside of the city. 16 to 21 year olds can apply for mytravelpass to receive up to 30% on bus travel in Wales.

We have train stations located in or just outside the city centre namely Cardiff Queen Street, Cardiff Central, Cardiff Bay and Cathays (this station is next to the Students' Union and across the road from the University Main Building).

Both travel by bus and train and generally quick and affordable.

You can also get a taxi or an Uber from the University to the Bay. As a city there are always lots available.

Otherwise, you could walk? The walk is around 1 hour, but is a great way to familiarize yourself with the city!

Lastly, you might like to travel by boat Princess Katharine provides an hourly water-bus service between Bute Park in the heart of the city and Cardiff Bay.

For more information you may want to visit - https://www.visitcardiff.com/getting-around-cardiff/.

I hope this helps :smile:

Sophie
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by Nn29cnnc

Apart from Nextbike, the bus system is okay-ish here.

There are 2 rival bus companies at the moment: Cardiff Bus and N.A.T

Cardiff Bus charges 2 for a single, 4 for a day to go adult. There is an app also where you can pay for tickets in advance via card, then activate them when you need them (you can search routes on there as well). Flash the QR code to the scanner as you board and off you go. They have "Baycar" services running from near the Cathays campus to the bay. Blue bendy buses if I remember correctly.

N.A.T are cheaper generally. I can't find the numbers but roughly 3 for a day ticket. The X8 service runs from Llanishen (North Cardiff) to the bay and back, passing the castle in town. You can pick it up outside the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama which is a 2 minute walk from the SU or outside the Hilton hotel, and from outside the Millennium Stadium in the bay.

Personally I try and support Cardiff Bus, and now use the app to save money.
- local about to be a student here next month

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending