mathscompsci
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am taking Edexcel further maths and maths right now. I know that the Edexcel automatically moves the modules between further maths and maths to give the best score to maths. Then, I thought that my grades could change because the modules automatically move around. For example, let's say the grade of maths and further maths could be both A star if I can put what modules I would like to place in each subject. However, if Edexcel automatically changes the allotment of these modules, my grade becomes A star(maths) and A (further maths). Can I call or ask Edexcel to change the allocation of these modules because the automatic system of Edexcel made my grades lower than the condition for my offer. Actually, my teacher said that one of my students had the same problem a few years ago. So, the teacher and the student called Edexcel to change the distribution of the modules and the Edexcel said sure. Because of this story, I am pretty sure I can do that. But, I am not sure and I want to make sure of this.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mathscompsci)
I am taking Edexcel further maths and maths right now. I know that the Edexcel automatically moves the modules between further maths and maths to give the best score to maths. Then, I thought that my grades could change because the modules automatically move around. For example, let's say the grade of maths and further maths could be both A star if I can put what modules I would like to place in each subject. However, if Edexcel automatically changes the allotment of these modules, my grade becomes A star(maths) and A (further maths). Can I call or ask Edexcel to change the allocation of these modules because the automatic system of Edexcel made my grades lower than the condition for my offer. Actually, my teacher said that one of my students had the same problem a few years ago. So, the teacher and the student called Edexcel to change the distribution of the modules and the Edexcel said sure. Because of this story, I am pretty sure I can do that. But, I am not sure and I want to make sure of this.
I assume you're taking IAL since the new linear A levels have no modules which can be swapped? Or are you resitting old spec?
It will depend which modules you want moving around, for instance you couldn't have M2 in maths and M1 in further because that's not an allowed combination. If there's an allowed combination which gives you an A* in each then I'm sure they would swap it but they are meant to do that in the first place so I'd be surprised. You'll probably also find it has to be your exams officer calling them up so it's worth talking to them
mathscompsci
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
I assume you're taking IAL since the new linear A levels have no modules which can be swapped? Or are you resitting old spec?
It will depend which modules you want moving around, for instance you couldn't have M2 in maths and M1 in further because that's not an allowed combination. If there's an allowed combination which gives you an A* in each then I'm sure they would swap it but they are meant to do that in the first place so I'd be surprised. You'll probably also find it has to be your exams officer calling up so it's worth talking to them
Yes. I'm taking old spec of IAL. I'm not resitting my exams. But, I asked this question because I took M2 (which is A2 module) in year 12 and I wanted to put M1 and M2 in mathematics to give A star in UCAS. Actually is it possible to write down the result of mathematics as A star on UCAS whereas I only took AS modules for further mathematics? By the way, I already have A star in C34 and A in C12; the total sum of C12, C34, M1, and M2 is over 480.

I also wonder whether I should or can write the AS results of further maths and physics since I'm taking the old spec on UCAS.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes. I'm taking old spec of IAL. I'm not resitting my exams. But, I asked this question because I took M2 (which is A2 module) in year 12 and I wanted to put M1 and M2 in mathematics to give A star in UCAS. Actually is it possible to write down the result of mathematics as A star on UCAS whereas I only took AS modules for further mathematics? By the way, I already have A star in C34 and A in C12; the total sum of C12, C34, M1, and M2 is over 480.

I also wonder whether I should or can write the AS results of further maths and physics since I'm taking the old spec on UCAS.
From the sounds of it that unit combination is acceptable, and yes it's okay to make up AS further maths of F1, S1 and D1 if that's what you're asking.
For UCAS applications you must write down all the ASs/other exams you've done in the past so if you've sat further maths and physics they must be added despite being old spec :yep:
Jiji Sand
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, you look you know about the system well,

Can I ask my question also?
My mathscombination is c12 c34 m1 m2(82)- 541/600 (A*) and further maths fp1 fp2 s1 s2 m3 d1(48) - 424/600 (B)
I already cashed in this june 2019.

If I resit for unit S2 in next january, and get above 75+,
I can get A in further maths by recombinate both my maths and further maths to maths c12 c34 m1 d1 - 507/600 (A*) and further maths fp1 fp2 s1 s2 m2 m3 -480+/600 (A). Means, replace/swap m2 in maths to d1 in further maths.

Can I re cash in both maths and further maths through re combination even I did not reatale any of the unit in maths, but only retake in further maths?

Please give me an answer since I am so urgent about this😭😱😱

From the sounds of it that unit combination is acceptable, and yes it's okay to make up AS further maths of F1, S1 and D1 if that's what you're asking.
For UCAS applications you must write down all the ASs/other exams you've done in the past so if you've sat further maths and physics they must be added despite being old spec :yep:
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jiji Sand)
Hi, you look you know about the system well,

Can I ask my question also?
My mathscombination is c12 c34 m1 m2(82)- 541/600 (A*) and further maths fp1 fp2 s1 s2 m3 d1(48) - 424/600 (B)
I already cashed in this june 2019.

If I resit for unit S2 in next january, and get above 75+,
I can get A in further maths by recombinate both my maths and further maths to maths c12 c34 m1 d1 - 507/600 (A*) and further maths fp1 fp2 s1 s2 m2 m3 -480+/600 (A). Means, replace/swap m2 in maths to d1 in further maths.

Can I re cash in both maths and further maths through re combination even I did not reatale any of the unit in maths, but only retake in further maths?

Please give me an answer since I am so urgent about this😭😱😱
As far as my knowledge goes that should be possible, I would recommend talking to your exams officer about recashing the maths result so they know it might need to be done
Jiji Sand
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As far as my knowledge goes that should be possible, I would recommend talking to your exams officer about recashing the maths result so they know it might need to be done
Thanks for your reply, I asked my exam officer but he’s not sure so..

So as far as you know, I can re cash in maths through re combination even I didn’t retake any of unit from maths right?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

So as far as you know, I can re cash in maths through re combination even I didn’t retake any of unit from maths right?
You are re-sitting S2 which could go in Maths but that is irrelevant. The exams officer can (and should) re-cash in every GCE Maths qualification you have previously cashed-in to maximise the movability of units to maximise your grades.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am pretty much certain that Edexcel's automatic algorithm works just fine (but centres may blame it when they make errors of their own). There are 2 possibilities:
1. You have miscalculated or misunderstood the options for allocating units.
2. Your centre has failed to re-cash-in any previously cashed-in GCE maths qualifications and so not all your units are free to move. If this is the case it can be fixed by your exam centre correcting their mistake
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Yep, as explained by compost, that should be fine
Jiji Sand
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Compost)
You are re-sitting S2 which could go in Maths but that is irrelevant. The exams officer can (and should) re-cash in every GCE Maths qualification you have previously cashed-in to maximise the movability of units to maximise your grades.
But my exam officer said re cash in is only possible when the candidate retake at least one unit from the subject that will be re cashed in. So I was confused.

But what you are saying is since S2 can be under both maths and further maths, I can totally re cash in two subjects through re combination even I do not retake any of unit from previous combination of maths, right?

So June 2019
Maths c12 c34 m1 m2 A*
F. Maths fp1 fp2 s1 s2 m3 d1 B

Jan 2020-Retake S2 , Re combinate and Re cash in both to
Maths c12 c34 m1 d1 A*
F.Maths fp1 fp2 m1 m2 s1 s2 A

So This is possible if this combination makes my grades to be maximised.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But my exam officer said re cash in is only possible when the candidate retake at least one unit from the subject that will be re cashed in. So I was confused.

But what you are saying is since S2 can be under both maths and further maths, I can totally re cash in two subjects through re combination even I do not retake any of unit from previous combination of maths, right?

So June 2019
Maths c12 c34 m1 m2 A*
F. Maths fp1 fp2 s1 s2 m3 d1 B

Jan 2020-Retake S2 , Re combinate and Re cash in both to
Maths c12 c34 m1 d1 A*
F.Maths fp1 fp2 m1 m2 s1 s2 A

So This is possible if this combination makes my grades to be maximised.
You're making it too complicated and I'm afraid your exam officer is wrong.. It doesn't matter when the units were taken or what originally went where. As soon as you take any Maths/FM unit you CAN re-cash in all the GCE maths qualifications (AS and A level) you have previously cashed in so they can all be moved around according to the rules to maximise your grade. You don't get to choose what goes where, as long as everything has been re-cashed in Edexcel's algorithm will automatically give you the best possible grades. The rules are all here: https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/...hs-information
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (535)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (648)
41.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (318)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.58%

Watched Threads