Tourette’s charity wants Edinburgh fringe winner to apologise. Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Olaf Falafel won the award with the gag: "I keep randomly shouting out 'Broccoli' and 'Cauliflower' - I think I might have florets".

Article below. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49395718

I mean. It’s a joke, grow up.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
More offended that that crap joke won.
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Leftism is killing comedy and turning it into an ultra-sterilized scene where fun is to be made only of right-wing figures and politicians, we only have to look at what the BBC commissioned as such in the 90s and and at how they wouldn't dream of it these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgfB6M1CRr4

This year's 'jokes' would struggle to make it to a Bad Dad's Jokes page.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
😂😂🤣

I guess they could just clarify they don't condone making fun of people with Tourettes. Jokes still have impacts. :dontknow:
Last edited by Obolinda; 3 weeks ago
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's a bad pun based on two words sounding alike... I don't see how it can be offensive to people with tourettes at all?
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Olaf Falafel won the award with the gag: "I keep randomly shouting out 'Broccoli' and 'Cauliflower' - I think I might have florets".

Article below. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49395718

I mean. It’s a joke, grow up.
It's pretty obvious that a Tourette's charity would be against jokes about Tourette's.

I think because it's very rare for someone to be severely affected by Tourette's so the general public see it as okay to make jokes about it. A joke about Down Syndrome for example wouldn't go down as well. I also think that putting a joke that was designed for a small audience into a newspaper is a bad idea.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
"I've got an Eton-themed Advent calendar, where all the doors are opened for me by my dad's contacts."

I liked the above joke better (from the shortlist of jokes picked for the award)

---

As for the controversy, its nonsense. Its the normal thing of people not being able to identify the subject of the joke, and mistaking it for the content. In this case the actual subject of the joke is just the wordplay between florets and torrets.. its not people with torrets. It would be different if it were a joke where the subject was a man with torrets, and the puncline was an insult about his condition... but its not. No one is hearing that joke and laughing at people with torrets, they are laughing at the silly word play.
TG1984
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm just annoyed that my joke at the Fringe didn't get mentioned. Possibly because I didn't have 2k to spend on PRs to promote it and reviewers to come and see it.
scorpion95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it is a joke. Anyone who complains needs to get a life and stop being pathetic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (164)
24.59%
Pop (164)
24.59%
Jazz (26)