dowoonie2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm about to start my third year of uni but after doing some research online I'm only now realising the importance of internships which I didn't do in first or second year :/ I do have extra curriculars to put on my CV but no work experience and I'm wondering how badly this will affect my likelihood of getting a job/good job after I graduate. I study English and was thinking of trying to volunteer the summer after I graduate at small publishing companies or magazines or something like that but I'm not sure. Is it still worth applying for full time jobs and are there things I could do in third year to gain some experience that also wouldn't take too much time away from my studies? Thank you
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Being honest, you'll struggle with no experience and no connections (the latter will be more beneficial than experience).

Which city do you live? You should definitely do some volunteering if you can (and you can). I'm not personally convinced it's any better or worse than an internship. A placement year is the only thing that will substantially improve your chances of getting hired upon graduation.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dowoonie2)
I'm about to start my third year of uni but after doing some research online I'm only now realising the importance of internships which I didn't do in first or second year :/ I do have extra curriculars to put on my CV but no work experience and I'm wondering how badly this will affect my likelihood of getting a job/good job after I graduate. I study English and was thinking of trying to volunteer the summer after I graduate at small publishing companies or magazines or something like that but I'm not sure. Is it still worth applying for full time jobs and are there things I could do in third year to gain some experience that also wouldn't take too much time away from my studies? Thank you
You need to break down what you are saying into more detail. Do you have no experience, or do you have no work experience? The two things are quite different. There's no specific reason why lack of work experience should limit you, but lack of any experience might.

So for example, I take from your post that you might like to work in journalism. It won't make any difference that you've got no internship with a newspaper or tv studio etc if you've got bags of experience writing for the Uni newspaper, blogging, keeping a website full of news content for a charity etc.

You have 3 primary sections on a professional CV, Education, Experience and Interests. What you call extra-curriculars could well the sort of thing that fits under Experience or Interests and gives evidence that you have the skills to do the job you are applying for. If it doesn't however, then you might be in trouble!
dowoonie2
Rep:
?
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
Being honest, you'll struggle with no experience and no connections (the latter will be more beneficial than experience).

Which city do you live? You should definitely do some volunteering if you can (and you can). I'm not personally convinced it's any better or worse than an internship. A placement year is the only thing that will substantially improve your chances of getting hired upon graduation.
Ah, okay. Do you have any advice on how to network while at uni? I go to uni in London so there’s definitely a lot of options for volunteering but I’ll look into a placement year
dowoonie2
Rep:
?
Ah, okay. Do you have any advice on how to network while at uni? I go to uni in London so there’s definitely a lot of options for volunteering but I’ll look into a placement year
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You need to break down what you are saying into more detail. Do you have no experience, or do you have no work experience? The two things are quite different. There's no specific reason why lack of work experience should limit you, but lack of any experience might.

So for example, I take from your post that you might like to work in journalism. It won't make any difference that you've got no internship with a newspaper or tv studio etc if you've got bags of experience writing for the Uni newspaper, blogging, keeping a website full of news content for a charity etc.

You have 3 primary sections on a professional CV, Education, Experience and Interests. What you call extra-curriculars could well the sort of thing that fits under Experience or Interests and gives evidence that you have the skills to do the job you are applying for. If it doesn't however, then you might be in trouble!
Oh, I didn’t think of it like that. In that case I don’t have no experience whatsoever but I really don’t have a lot. I speak 2 languages and am currently teaching myself a third (not sure if that counts as experience but it’s a skill), did submit an article on music to one of the student journals at my uni and do plan to be more involved with the journal in third year (I couldn’t in second year as their meetings clashed with a class of mine) and I’m in the process of writing some short fiction in my spare time over summer. I‘m also part of some societies at uni but not on committee or anything. I was thinking of making a portfolio with pieces of writing I’ve done in my spare time and for journals which I could show to potential employers? As for actual work experience, I volunteered in a charity shop for about a year so I do have a little retail experience
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh, I didn’t think of it like that. In that case I don’t have no experience whatsoever but I really don’t have a lot. I speak 2 languages and am currently teaching myself a third (not sure if that counts as experience but it’s a skill), did submit an article on music to one of the student journals at my uni and do plan to be more involved with the journal in third year (I couldn’t in second year as their meetings clashed with a class of mine) and I’m in the process of writing some short fiction in my spare time over summer. I‘m also part of some societies at uni but not on committee or anything. I was thinking of making a portfolio with pieces of writing I’ve done in my spare time and for journals which I could show to potential employers? As for actual work experience, I volunteered in a charity shop for about a year so I do have a little retail experience
Keep it relevant, retail experience has no relevance to a writing career. But writing is something you can control to an extent - so add to the list you've got above, a blog, starting a book club and writing a few articles for the student newspaper and you've got something.
dowoonie2
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Keep it relevant, retail experience has no relevance to a writing career. But writing is something you can control to an extent - so add to the list you've got above, a blog, starting a book club and writing a few articles for the student newspaper and you've got something.
Cool, thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (8)
8.6%
Disagree (5)
5.38%
Neither agree or disagree (29)
31.18%
Agree (37)
39.78%
Strongly Agree (14)
15.05%

Watched Threads