What do u learn in a foundation year?

Watch
The_Atomix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it A levels or gcse or some easy topics from the first year of the actual bsc or none of those?

I’m doing a math and physics foundation year. What should I expect? It’ll help if u went to the University of Lincoln as that’s where I’ll be studying.

The modules for the course that are shown don’t tell me specifically what I will actually be learning. It simply states maths and physics through out various portions of the year.

If u have done a foundation year that’ll help too.
Last edited by The_Atomix; 1 year ago
MediocreSince01
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This was taken from their website.

Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists
This core module is compulsory for all Science Foundation Year students. The module aims to develop the relevant problem solving and mathematical skills to provide a solid mathematical base to support future studies. The module will be assessed via regular submission of coursework questions (50%) and an end of year examination (50%).

Study Skills
This core module is compulsory for all Science Foundation Year students. During the communication elements of the module, you will have the opportunity to develop your learning, group work and presentation skills, together with both written and verbal communication skills and ICT skills. The module will be assessed via submission of three pieces of coursework.

A reflective learning journal
A group presentation
A scientific essay

Fundamentals of Physics
This module is compulsory for students progressing into Mathematics and Physics degrees, and is an optional choice for those on Engineering or Chemistry degree paths. The aim of this module is to recap and consolidate your knowledge on key areas of A-Level Physics, whilst also developing key processing and mathematical skills. Work within laboratory sessions also aim to increase your confidence in both working practically and analysing practical results. The module will be assessed via coursework (50%) and an end of year examination (50%).

Mathematical Methods
This module is compulsory for students progressing into Mathematics, Physics or Engineering degrees. The aim of this module is to recap and consolidate your knowledge in key areas of A-Level Mathematics, whilst also developing key processing and problem solving skills. The module will be assessed via regular submission of coursework questions (50%) and an end of year examination (50%).

Foundation year Mathematics and Physics
The module will provide an opportunity for students to advance their understanding of the main mathematical and physical methods needed to prepare them for their chosen degree programme within an academically challenging yet supportive environment. The module aims to provide learning opportunities in a set of key areas of mathematics and physics in preparation for BSc level study. Additionally, it will provide opportunities to develop computer skills applied to mathematics and physics questions and enhance problem solving skills.
MediocreSince01
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
By the looks of it, you'll be recapping the A-Level content, and developing fluency and problem solving with it.
The_Atomix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by MediocreSince01)
By the looks of it, you'll be recapping the A-Level content, and developing fluency and problem solving with it.
That’s interesting, I assume they’ve updated the information on their website now, otherwise I wouldn’t have asked, thanks a lot for this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.56%
England (143)
34.88%
Belgium (31)
7.56%
Germany (41)
10%
Spain (9)
2.2%