Honest opinions on Studytubers?

Watch
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Nikkix2000)
Eve went too Bristol, Ruby to Exeter and Jack to Durham so there is a mix.

What do you mean by Eve being a sellout? She’s the one who I find most relatable and normal out of all them. It feels like it’s her real personality not turned up and actually seems to live a normal student life.
If I remember correctly, there was some controversy about studytubers and the sponsorships deals. Eve Bennett was at the forefront of the critisism. Ill have to research what exactly was the problem but I can't be bothered right now.

Nikkix2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Some people do get up at 5am for yoga though? And some people are fortunate enough to be able to travel to Uganda or other foreign countries on a gap year (I know a few people who did)

Youtube isn't reality though. Remember that, Ruby is probably playing a role but youtube isn't an accurate representation of reality
I know but they definitely set unrealistic expectations for people.

Jade I enjoy even though she’s a bit too perfect but Ruby is just a bit infantile and unnatural.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Eve went to Oxford?
Eve Bennet went to Oxford.

Eve Cornwell went to Bristol.
LostLioness
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I am all here for this thread. Quality content.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I’d have to agree, I don’t watch them myself but I heard Jade started selling “studywear” T-shirt’s or something like that for £20, and they were literally just T-shirt’s with the word “study” printed on them. £20 x thousands of subscribers = a lot of money for selling T-shirt’s. Even if only 1% of her subscribers bought one, that's still around 60 grand in revenue. Not much wrong with selling tshirts for the brand that you've created, but 20 quid for the word "study" printed on a tshirt?
Last edited by RedGiant; 7 months ago
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Eve, Jade, Ruby
sounds like a stripper trio
Nikkix2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
I don't agree. Yes, they're not typical teenagers but I'm not really sure what the problem with that is? She's one of those "you're fine the way you are" people - she does try to help with self confidence, including her right to share her life as an atypical teen!. She repeatedly says she doesn't live the life of a typical teenager and she's in a very privileged position but it's never enough for some people. You don't know much about her life so I don't know how you know Oxbridge was her only rejection - she talks about it because it's obvs upsetting and rejection is something ppl experience a lot. Her being upset about getting A* was just her commenting on the pressure to maintain this, she put a disclaimer that she's grateful for her grades but this obviously went completely over people's head.

Ruby Granger doesn't actually think she's Hermione, she simply enjoyed playing her character when she was younger. Ruby is in uni now, she doesn't do that anymore. What exactly is wrong with washing your face in a bowl at 5 am?😂 that's how she personally lives, she isn't forcing anybody to be like her.
Good for Jade for taking those opportunities as I’m sure she’s worked for them but the Oxbridge rejection is something she goes on about constantly and I think it’s an attempt to normalise herself. It seems to be the one academic thing she hasn’t accomplished so uses that to show she’s similar to all of us. Most people get over it pretty quickly while she mentions it over a year later.

Ruby’s 19 (I presume) and still seems very infantile. She can live her life as she wishes but the worry is 15/16 year olds might aspire to be similar to her and think she’s the model of perfection. Getting up at 9 and calling it “very late” is a bit ridiculous.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Never heard of that term before. I've personally felt that there's no point in watching them as most have been recycling advices that have been said before by older youtubers. A lot of people who watch their videos focus on imitating their schedules and habits to be successful, rather than readjusting to their needs and preference and sticking to it.

One of my favourite 'studytuber' was Simon Clark who made a few vids on studying effectively, dealing with mental health and how to tackle exams (prior to day of and during exams ). He got straight to the point, gave good examples and didnt go off topic which helped.
Last edited by kkboyk; 7 months ago
Nikkix2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by LostLioness)
I am all here for this thread. Quality content.
What’s your opinion?
username4863238
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Not a big fan of them but ExamSolutions is my favourite
Nikkix2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedGiant)
I’d have to agree, I don’t watch them myself but I heard Jade started selling “studywear” T-shirt’s or something like that for £20, and they were literally just T-shirt’s with the word “study” printed on them. £20 x thousands of subscribers = a lot of money for selling T-shirt’s. Even if only 1% of her subscribers bought one, that's still around 60 grand in revenue. Not much wrong with selling tshirts for the brand that you've created, but 20 quid for the word "study" printed on a tshirt?
I think that’s just very effective business and knowing her market so I wouldn’t blame her at all for that.

It’s more the setting unrealistic expectations for people and playing a role which probably isn’t actually them which annoys me.
Flakeeee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
If you think it's surprising an Asian student got into Cambridge, that tells me you've never visited the beautiful city of Cambridge during term time.
I don’t think it’s surprising. But I just think that ibz’s determination is rlly inspiring. The fact that he came from a poor household and was able to afford to go to Cambridge.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Good for Jade for taking those opportunities as I’m sure she’s worked for them but the Oxbridge rejection is something she goes on about constantly and I think it’s an attempt to normalise herself. It seems to be the one academic thing she hasn’t accomplished so uses that to show she’s similar to all of us. Most people get over it pretty quickly while she mentions it over a year later.

Ruby’s 19 (I presume) and still seems very infantile. She can live her life as she wishes but the worry is 15/16 year olds might aspire to be similar to her and think she’s the model of perfection. Getting up at 9 and calling it “very late” is a bit ridiculous.
When was the last time Jade actually mentioned her rejection? Her comments are full of people asking her to talk about it and she simply responds to the demand.

Yes, Ruby is weird. You seem to just being nit picking parts of her personality that you personally find odd. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Be conformist and be criticise, be unique and true to yourself, criticised! She includes disclaimers, but I don't see why she should alter herself. I'm 15 myself and I'm not aware of anyone looking up to her as perfection, far from it. That's a problem within themselves anyway, not Ruby's fault for being herself.

No, I don't think studytubers are perfect, lot's to criticise. But these complaints are just petty imo
Nikkix2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
Never heard of that term before. I've personally I felt that there's no point in watching them as most have been recycling advices that have been said before by older youtubers. A lot of people who watch their videos focus on imitating their schedules and habits to be successful, rather than readjusting to their needs and preference and sticking to it.

One of my favourite 'studytuber' was Simon Clark who made a few vids on studying effectively, dealing with mental health and how to tackle exams (prior to day of and during exams ). He got straight to the point, gave good examples and didnt go off topic which helped.
That sounds much better!

I just don’t think doing a “realistic” morning routine for a teenager where you get up at 5am, then do yoga, sit-ups, make your bed and do revision is realistic.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think that’s just very effective business and knowing her market so I wouldn’t blame her at all for that.

It’s more the setting unrealistic expectations for people and playing a role which probably isn’t actually them which annoys me.
Didn't Ruby get A*AA anyway? I could have sworn she was the one doing "15 hour study days" or something.
LostLioness
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I can’t stand Ibzmo I’m afraid. He’s like Eve in the personality dialled up aspect but 100x worse.

Saying “here’s the tea” and speaking with that forced “know it all” voice is so annoying.
You remind me of myself when I am so vexed that I sh!ttalk about everyone and anyone. In all honesty, I think that these studytubers are all just normal students who see an opportunity to make money by putting on a persona and they take it. Personally, cannot bear to watch Jade or Ruby (what is up with that voice?). Currently Eve Cornwell is getting on my nerves, enough of the coffee and the suggestive looks. Is it too much to ask that people just be a little normal sometimes? I am such a hater lol

Used to find Ibz Mo hilarious until he started shoving "I rose from the ashes" down my throat like every other second in his videos. I think he let his success get to his head for a while. A little humility will do him some good. Jack Edwards... hmm... not too sure. Sick of his big puppy eyes and constant lip licking. :rofl: And that deep voice he sometimes puts on. Who else.... Oh and Paige someone, she reminds me of my Chemistry teacher and I just... CANNOT. Sigh. It is like an allergic reaction.

The Eve who goes to Oxford, she is fine. I think.
Nikkix2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Flakeeee)
I don’t think it’s surprising. But I just think that ibz’s determination is rlly inspiring. The fact that he came from a poor household and was able to afford to go to Cambridge.
You do know lots of people from poor backgrounds are able to go to Cambridge right?

He’s clearly got you on board with his image.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by LostLioness)
You remind me of myself when I am so vexed that I sh!ttalk about everyone and anyone. In all honesty, I think that these studytubers are all just normal students who see an opportunity to make money by putting on a persona and they take it. Personally, cannot bear to watch Jade or Ruby (what is up with that voice?). Currently Eve Cornwell is getting on my nerves, enough of the coffee and the suggestive looks. Is it too much to ask that people just be a little normal sometimes? I am such a hater lol

Used to find Ibz Mo hilarious until he started shoving "I rose from the ashes" down my throat like every other second in his videos. I think he let his success get to his head for a while. A little humility will do him some good. Jack Edwards... hmm... not too sure. Sick of his big puppy eyes and constant lip licking. :rofl: And that deep voice he sometimes puts on. Who else.... Oh and Paige someone, she reminds me of my Chemistry teacher and I just... CANNOT. Sigh. It is like an allergic reaction.

The Eve who goes to Oxford, she is fine. I think.
Jesus christ, Ibz mo's voice though
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think they set an unrealistic example of what a student should be. It puts too much pressure on people who think they have to emulate them in order to succeed.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 7 months ago
Nikkix2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
When was the last time Jade actually mentioned her rejection? Her comments are full of people asking her to talk about it and she simply responds to the demand.

Yes, Ruby is weird. You seem to just being nit picking parts of her personality that you personally find odd. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Be conformist and be criticise, be unique and true to yourself, criticised! She includes disclaimers, but I don't see why she should alter herself. I'm 15 myself and I'm not aware of anyone looking up to her as perfection, far from it. That's a problem within themselves anyway, not Ruby's fault for being herself.

No, I don't think studytubers are perfect, lot's to criticise. But these complaints are just petty imo
I don’t think she’s being herself though and that’s the issue.

While the Harry Potter stuff is fine and she can do that if she wishes, 5am morning routines and 15 hour “study with me” videos aren’t!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed