Are most prestigious universities full of privately schooled kids? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For example top tier universities such as oxbridge, UCL, imperial, LSE etc not just your average Russel group universities
Anonymous #1
I’m not sure who reported this because there’s literally nothing offensive here? I am not privately schooled nor do I go to any of those universities I was just curious
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because it promotes harmful stereotypes. In reality there are a mix of private school and state school pupils at many top tier and Oxbridge universities. Saying that these institutions are full of privately schooled people would put state school pupils off applying, also 64% of students at Oxford are state educated. The thread title is clearly inaccurate.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Because it promotes harmful stereotypes. In reality there are a mix of private school and state school pupils at many top tier and Oxbridge universities. Saying that these institutions are full of privately schooled people would put state school pupils off applying, also 64% of students at Oxford are state educated. The thread title is clearly inaccurate.
How is it inaccurate? It’s just a question
tbofig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How is it inaccurate? It’s just a question
It’s an honest question, but it’s premise is inaccurate. Oxbridge and other unis generally regarded as top RGs (Durham, KCL, ICL, LSE, UCL, York, Warwick etc...) are infact not full of “private school kids”. However, compared to the number of kids in state schools, there is a disproportionate number of kids at these unis who come from private schools. This DOES NOT mean they are in the majority. I think these are often confused. Visit a uni, and if it’s not right for you don’t go there! There’s no shame in turning down an oxbridge place if it isn’t the correct place for you, but similarly you might like it!
Last edited by tbofig; 4 weeks ago
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anonymous, it is inaccurate and you know it. I have just quoted you the stats. Your opinions are dangerous and are disheartening for state school students.

Most of my time on TSR I have spent convincing people that Oxford is a welcoming environment, seeking to be as diverse as possible.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Anonymous, it is inaccurate and you know it. I have just quoted you the stats. Your opinions are dangerous and are disheartening for state school students.

Most of my time on TSR I have spent convincing people that Oxford is a welcoming environment, seeking to be as diverse as possible.
No. Again, it’s a question...not my opinion. I’m actually a state schooled student myself looking to apply to universities this year, all I did was ask a genuine question.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tbofig)
It’s an honest question, but it’s premise is inaccurate. Oxbridge and other unis generally regarded as top RGs (Durham, KCL, ICL, LSE, UCL, York, Warwick etc...) are infact not full of “private school kids”. However, compared to the number of kids in state schools, there is a disproportionate number of kids at these unis who come from private schools. This DOES NOT mean they are in the majority. I think these are often confused. Visit a uni, and if it’s not right for you don’t go there! There’s no shame in turning down an oxbridge place if it isn’t the correct place for you, but similarly you might like it!
Okay, thank you for this. I would like to apply to these types of universities but I am intimidated by the workload..my school is quite laid back it’s not rigorous like a private school might be. I’m worried that even if I were to be accepted into any of these universities I won’t be able to keep up academically or fit in socially
tbofig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay, thank you for this. I would like to apply to these types of universities but I am intimidated by the workload..my school is quite laid back it’s not rigorous like a private school might be. I’m worried that even if I were to be accepted into any of these universities I won’t be able to keep up academically or fit in socially
I should be able to help on this, pm me with any questions you may have!
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Talk to OM. She’s trying to help state schoolers like us against stereotypes.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
For example top tier universities such as oxbridge, UCL, imperial, LSE etc not just your average Russel group universities
Yep
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No. Again, it’s a question...not my opinion. I’m actually a state schooled student myself looking to apply to universities this year, all I did was ask a genuine question.
If it's just a question why ask it from behind the cloak of anonymity?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ageshallnot)
If it's just a question why ask it from behind the cloak of anonymity?
Because I don’t need people viewing my stats/ previous posts telling me I’m not good enough anyways. You know what TSR is like...
Anonymous #1
Yep
Are you a current student?
Moments
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Even if they are (and they aren’t), wouldn’t you be licking your chops at coming in from your “bad” school and beating them all at their own game?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you were a genuine state school student why on earth would you have to hide behind anon, and as for tsr I do know what it’s like and nobody would judge you for it.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because I don’t need people viewing my stats/ previous posts telling me I’m not good enough anyways. You know what TSR is like...
As above, show some confidence.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
I realise that this is a touchy topic, but if the OP is indeed a state school student with a genuine question, with how you’ve replied to their question you may have just put them off these unis for good. You can tackle this misconception without resorting to insults and being judgemental.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I realise that this is a touchy topic, but if the OP is indeed a state school student with a genuine question, with how you’ve replied to their question you may have just put them off these unis for good. You can tackle this misconception without resorting to insults and being judgemental.
Call me a suspicious old b'stard if you like but I've been around long enough to have seen a lot of people go Anon and then post threads on topics that they know will cause an argument. In this case the OP could have dug out the statistics on the number of state v private students but they didn't. The OP has now given their reasons for being Anon, which I think are weak (hence my exhortation to have some confidence) but at least aren't nefarious. What's your excuse?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ageshallnot
I agree with you one hundred percent.

My suspicious antennae are waggling like mad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads