Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I got ABB in results Day which is a bit disappointing but it’s fine got into a good uni for clearing.

Anyway, I was wondering whether these grades will effect any future trainee contracts I apply to.
I know they have a requirement but I looked online at least firms I want to apply to and I can’t find any.

So do any London City law firms have specific A level requirements?
Considering I will try my hardest and hopefully achieve a First by the end of my uni course.
Varis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your question could easily be answered by looking at a variety of law firms' graduate recruitment websites (specifically the ones you're interested in applying to).

Generally, law firms have minimum specific requirements for A levels. So yes, they do matter.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rhodesian)
I got ABB in results Day which is a bit disappointing but it’s fine got into a good uni for clearing.

Anyway, I was wondering whether these grades will effect any future trainee contracts I apply to.
I know they have a requirement but I looked online at least firms I want to apply to and I can’t find any.

So do any London City law firms have specific A level requirements?
Considering I will try my hardest and hopefully achieve a First by the end of my uni course.
You have to look at your target firms and see.
All firms will look to the extent they are on your application. They are sometimes used to filter applications, so if you get a first , then check before you apply imo. Plenty of firms that wont look. Most of TSR seems to only apply to the MC or US firms though.
study_blr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My sister got into a London city firm and yes, they checked her A-Levels but they weren't great... A*ABD (A in General studies), she just tried really hard in her degree.

ABB isn't the end, just smash uni. Aim for a 1st class degree if you want to hit the MC/Sliver circle firms or just London firms in general.
Rhodesian
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by study_blr)
My sister got into a London city firm and yes, they checked her A-Levels but they weren't great... A*ABD (A in General studies), she just tried really hard in her degree.

ABB isn't the end, just smash uni. Aim for a 1st class degree if you want to hit the MC/Sliver circle firms or just London firms in general.
Can I still apply to a trainee contract if it’s requirements are higher than my A Levels?
JoMarchBhaer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can I still apply to a trainee contract if it’s requirements are higher than my A Levels?
You can try to apply for a training contract where you don’t meet the minimum requirements, but it might be a waste of time. Some online applications won’t let you complete them unless you confirm you reached certain standards and others that let you submit will go right in the bin.

If you have missed by one or two grades, it’s probably worth a shot, but if your A-levels are wildly off-base compared to the firm’s specifications then you’ll need to have a good reason why — did A-levels 20 years ago and and have since gained exceptional experience for example, or genuine extenuating circumstances (e.g. you or family member were seriously ill during exams or there was a family bereavement — not: “I didn’t get on with my parents as a teenager”). You can try to speak to firms’ graduate recruitment teams before you submit to check how they will view things.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Generally, yes (all applications are read by a human), but you will be so uncompetitive that you'll need to make to make up for those A-levels elsewhere (and just getting a First with work experience isn't always enough - many candidates have both of these as well as the A-level grades)
username4911280
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/la...ction-criteria
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (7)
7.87%
Disagree (5)
5.62%
Neither agree or disagree (26)
29.21%
Agree (37)
41.57%
Strongly Agree (14)
15.73%

Watched Threads