Shamir Altaf
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got A*AB on results day. Great grades but slightly off from what I needed.

B was in psychology, which was a bit of a shock. Decided to look through my papers with my teacher and found several areas of contention. Sent it for a remark and paper 1 went DOWN by a mark, paper 2 remained the same, Paper 3 went UP by two marks.

Issue is, paper 2 is the one we contend the most. There was a 4 marker where my answer practically replicated the mark scheme, but it hasn't been awarded anything. In the extended answers, we are unclear as to why I've been awarded low marks considering my answers reflect all that is required to secure at least 75%. By our judgement, I have not been awarded marks for parts of my answer purely because it's not in the mark scheme, however these parts of the answer are indeed valid. In fact, the content appears in the edexcel psychology spec, so we can't comprehend why an examiner wouldn't award it marks. Mark schemes always say to "look for other reasonable marking points", so it seems in their academic judgement, it wasn't reasonable.

In paper 3 there are further areas we contend, on similar grounds.

My teacher will be reassessing my paper to collate a case, as, if she once again confirms the marking is unfair, we intend to appeal on the grounds of "unreasonable exercise of academic judgement" (point 11c of JCQ's official guide).

I was wondering a few things:
1) Have there been any successful appeals? I've never heard of anyone doing it, so it's new to me.
2) What can we do to bolster our case?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shamir Altaf)

B was in psychology, which was a bit of a shock. Decided to look through my papers with my teacher and found several areas of contention. Sent it for a remark and paper 1 went DOWN by a mark, paper 2 remained the same, Paper 3 went UP by two marks.

Issue is, paper 2 is the one we contend the most. There was a 4 marker where my answer practically replicated the mark scheme, but it hasn't been awarded anything. In the extended answers, we are unclear as to why I've been awarded low marks considering my answers reflect all that is required to secure at least 75%. By our judgement, I have not been awarded marks for parts of my answer purely because it's not in the mark scheme, however these parts of the answer are indeed valid. In fact, the content appears in the edexcel psychology spec, so we can't comprehend why an examiner wouldn't award it marks. Mark schemes always say to "look for other reasonable marking points", so it seems in their academic judgement, it wasn't reasonable.

My teacher will be reassessing my paper to collate a case, as, if she once again confirms the marking is unfair, we intend to appeal on the grounds of "unreasonable exercise of academic judgement" (point 11c of JCQ's official guide).

1) Have there been any successful appeals? I've never heard of anyone doing it, so it's new to me.
Not going through it, but read the appeal rules.
Your teacher should know the mark scheme so make sure to id where marks were not awarded and claim they were incorrect not to do so.
It is your teachers knowledge of the mark scheme and showing them what it says they should reward v what they have that you need to draw to their attention.

I would 100% go for the appeal if you believe it is wrong based on your review..
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I have no idea what realistic chances are (and obviously there is judgment involved, so be aware you and your teachers likely have a small degree of bias).

I suspect unless there is a large discrepancy, your marks are unlikely to change if they have been marked twice and you've had roughly the same result. I guess if your close its worth another shot.

Best of luck.
Shamir Altaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not going through it, but read the appeal rules.
Your teacher should know the mark scheme so make sure to id where marks were not awarded and claim they were incorrect not to do so.
It is your teachers knowledge of the mark scheme and showing them what it says they should reward v what they have that you need to draw to their attention.

I would 100% go for the appeal if you believe it is wrong based on your review..
First of all, thanks so much for your reply, I was beginning to think I wouldn't get any.

My own teacher, and the other Psychology teacher at my school both agreed that there are indeed places where marks are 'missing'. They are definitely going to reassess to confirm their position and then we shall move forward.

I just find it incredibily frustrating and upsetting that after a remark the contention persists. Nevertheless, I have faith my teachers will resolve it.
Last edited by Shamir Altaf; 1 year ago
Shamir Altaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
I have no idea what realistic chances are (and obviously there is judgment involved, so be aware you and your teachers likely have a small degree of bias).

I suspect unless there is a large discrepancy, your marks are unlikely to change if they have been marked twice and you've had roughly the same result. I guess if your close its worth another shot.

Best of luck.
I agree, there is perhaps some bias in our judgement. I am trying to get an outsiders view but haven't found anyone yet.

I believe that the issue is the mark scheme is being applied far too prescriptively. This is how my teachers actually described it. In a subject as vast as Psychology, there is no simple answer to a broad question like 'Assess Nature and Nurture for human behaviour'.

The remark usually refers to a simple reassessment of whether the mark scheme was fairly applied (at least that's my understanding having read Edexcel's page). This suggests that the contention we are having (valid answers out of the mark scheme's guidance) wouldn't really be addressed.

I guess that's why the appeal seems a viable option, as in the appeal we can actually make that exact point (they are undermarking valid answers because they don't completely adhere to the mark scheme).
TCL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First of all, thanks so much for your reply, I was beginning to think I wouldn't get any.

My own teacher, and the other Psychology teacher at my school both agreed that there are indeed places where marks are 'missing'. They are definitely going to reassess to confirm their position and then we shall move forward.

I just find it incredibily frustrating and upsetting that after a remark the contention persists. Nevertheless, I have faith my teachers will resolve it.
What an unsatisfactory situation! Which exam board is this?

Either your teachers or the exam board are being incompetent here and it sounds like it is the exam board. It is not in the interests of the exam boards to issue too many successful re-marks as it makes it look like their moderation systems do not work. Really re-marks should be done by an independent organisation like OFQUAL.

Compost might be able to tell you whether they have had any successful appeals following a "review of marking"
999tigger
Report 1 year ago

As I say on marks at least you know for sure you did everything you could. Not sure if the data is collected on appeals and dont have the time to look it up, but ofqual may have such data. It is a case of your teachers thinking they know the mark scheme well enough to show there are enough questions to want answers for and the mark scheme has not been kept to.

I would have to read the appeal rules, but it sounds like it worth it. Just be aware of the additional cost.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TCL)
What an unsatisfactory situation! Which exam board is this?

Either your teachers or the exam board are being incompetent here and it sounds like it is the exam board. It is not in the interests of the exam boards to issue too many successful re-marks as it makes it look like their moderation systems do not work. Really re-marks should be done by an independent organisation like OFQUAL.

Compost might be able to tell you whether they have had any successful appeals following a "review of marking"
Why cant it just be a difference of opinion? Have you thought maybe the reason they dont issue so many remarks is because the marking is correct n the first place?
Who will pay ofqual to do them?
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Why cant it just be a difference of opinion? Have you thought maybe the reason they dont issue so many remarks is because the marking is correct n the first place?
Who will pay ofqual to do them?
The OP said that their teachers said that they have made the points required and should get the mark. Either the teachers are right or they are wrong. If the teachers are wrong they have been teaching incorrectly, if they are right the exam board has issues of competency.

I think one the reasons re-marks do not change as often as they might is because the exam board knows that changes are bad for their reputation. My son's English GCSE went from a 6 to a 9 on re-mark 2 years ago so my faith in marking is limited.

Appeals results from 2016 here, could not find more recent ones - https://assets.publishing.service.go...ummer-2016.pdf
Shamir Altaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by TCL)
The OP said that their teachers said that they have made the points required and should get the mark. Either the teachers are right or they are wrong. If the teachers are wrong they have been teaching incorrectly, if they are right the exam board has issues of competency.

I think one the reasons re-marks do not change as often as they might is because the exam board knows that changes are bad for their reputation. My son's English GCSE went from a 6 to a 9 on re-mark 2 years ago so my faith in marking is limited.

Appeals results from 2016 here, could not find more recent ones - https://assets.publishing.service.go...ummer-2016.pdf
Whilst what you say seems blunt, it is the hard truth. Either the exam board is failing us or there has been an error on my teacher's part. I believe it would most likely be the former, as my teacher is excellent. Last year she got several A grades from her class, so I don't doubt her.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TCL)

It is worth chasing up, but in marking it isnt always as clear cut. What they have done is raised question marks which is worth checking, but it isnt always the case that it is one or the other, it could be a matter of opinion within the marking guidelines.

If marker A thinks it is worth 5/10 and teacher B thinks it is worth 6, it will not be overturned unless the marker has made a clear and obvious error that falls outside what any reasonable teacher could have awarded. I disagree with you and think you are much too prone to see it as some sort of conspiracy, very few remarks change by much and the ones that do have to change by enough marks to change a grade.

In the OPs case they appear to have enough support and are able enough questions to follow an appeal and good luck to them. The backing of the teachers is very helpful.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your Head of Centre is happy to support the appeal (it has to come from him/her) then try it but it appears (from my experience and that of my fellow EOs) that Ofqual have really put the screws on the exam boards to minimise the number of successful reviews and that changes are only being made when there is really clear evidence of mis-marking. The perception is that the review system favours the wealthy (as they can afford to pay for reviews) and that reviewers have tended to leniency. My experience alone is not conclusive, but most years I reckon about 25% of reviews involve a grade change and this year I have one out of 19 so far. fellow EOs are also saying their success rate has dropped markedly. By all means try, and if you do, read the rules and make sure you appeal on allowable grounds, but don't get your hopes up.

(My school have never made a successful appeal of a review of marking - but in my opinion they've never made one that had suitable evidence for success either. However, we have had successes appealing unsuccessful reviews of moderation and those have been based on clear evidence against the appeal criteria.)
Shamir Altaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
If your Head of Centre is happy to support the appeal (it has to come from him/her) then try it but it appears (from my experience and that of my fellow EOs) that Ofqual have really put the screws on the exam boards to minimise the number of successful reviews and that changes are only being made when there is really clear evidence of mis-marking. The perception is that the review system favours the wealthy (as they can afford to pay for reviews) and that reviewers have tended to leniency. My experience alone is not conclusive, but most years I reckon about 25% of reviews involve a grade change and this year I have one out of 19 so far. fellow EOs are also saying their success rate has dropped markedly. By all means try, and if you do, read the rules and make sure you appeal on allowable grounds, but don't get your hopes up.

(My school have never made a successful appeal of a review of marking - but in my opinion they've never made one that had suitable evidence for success either. However, we have had successes appealing unsuccessful reviews of moderation and those have been based on clear evidence against the appeal criteria.)
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I find out tomorrow if the school will push an appeal.

In terna of evidence, our evidence would be the spec. The unawarded parts of my extended answers are totally valid according to the spec, it appears to be an issue of "oh, but it's not in the mark scheme". As i mentioned before, the examiners should be seeking reasonable OTHER marks, which we do not believe they have done. We'd definitely be appealing on the grounds of a poor academic judgement, which coincides with the JCQ guide.

It's interesting they clamped down. I'm actually from a deprived area, so we've definitely not had the privilege of money = good grades (can't lie, I wish I did).

I'll put an update up with any info I get.
thewinelake
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

It would be great if the boards published examples of what constitutes errors worthy of a remark and those that don’t. It’s looking like an extortion game to me right now!
Shamir Altaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by thewinelake)
It would be great if the boards published examples of what constitutes errors worthy of a remark and those that don’t. It’s looking like an extortion game to me right now!
This is a good idea, but I guess they'd say errors can be in any format, sp it's difficult to give examples that'll help in most cases.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thewinelake)
The first thing to get clear is that it is NOT a remark - I think you'll find no exam officer ever calls it that - as they do not re-mark your paper. They review it to see if there are any clear errors in the marking that has already been done.
thewinelake
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The first thing to get clear is that it is NOT a remark - I think you'll find no exam officer ever calls it that - as they do not re-mark your paper. They review it to see if there are any clear errors in the marking that has already been done.
Yes, and that wording is very confusing to someone not in the know!
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Compost is there a pattern to successful reviews of marking? I have heard that if students have bad handwriting, examiners may not have time to decode what the student has written and that a reviewer may have more time to work out what the script says.
thewinelake
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TCL)
Compost is there a pattern to successful reviews of marking? I have heard that if students have bad handwriting, examiners may not have time to decode what the student has written and that a reviewer may have more time to work out what the script says.
I'm wondering which boards scan at a higher dpi! Seriously I get a headache just from looking at the awful scans I've seen from CIE. That DD has spidery handwriting that's hard enough to read at full size doesn't help - schools should tell them!!
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TCL)
Not that I've ever determined. There might be some truth in the handwriting theory, but generally examiners do manage to read some appalling handwriting so it's not a definite thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (162)
44.63%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.02%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
7.99%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (76)
20.94%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.37%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
6.06%

Watched Threads