Amazon switches to single-use plastic - going backwards on the environment Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The world is awash with plastic - it's in our food chain, it the water and in the atmosphere, as far afield as Antarctica and Greenland.

Amazon is one of the biggest corporations on earth and generates vast amount of packaging. They are now going backwards, adding to the global plastic problem, by switching from cardboard to single-use unrecyclable plastic wallets.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...nt-be-recycled

The move, which is global, is already causing havoc in US recycling plants, due to customers mistakenly assuming the packets can be placed in the usual paper recycling bins.

We really need to reconsider our use of Amazon.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd have the government step in, in the same way they did with plastic bags. Amazon are evil, obviously, but if we're to accept globalisation they are one of the evils that come with it. What we can do is curb it, but that needs to be in law rather than relying on enough people paying extra for a better solution.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThomH97)
I'd have the government step in, in the same way they did with plastic bags. Amazon are evil, obviously, but if we're to accept globalisation they are one of the evils that come with it. What we can do is curb it, but that needs to be in law rather than relying on enough people paying extra for a better solution.
I agree that government should regulate in this area. The difficulty is that when the corporations are as big as Amazon, the government have a tendency to work for them and not for us.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
I agree that government should regulate in this area. The difficulty is that when the corporations are as big as Amazon, the government have a tendency to work for them and not for us.
Indeed, and even in the cases where the government does want to do something, foreign governments will back them such as with France and their internet tax. Perhaps it will require the complete demise of the high street for the government to realise that businesses that can avoid the rules will prosper at the expense of the businesses that can't, and that something should be done. Hopefully before then though.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Let’s be honest. Due to how convenient and rather cheap some stuff from Amazon is, they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want. Total monopoly.
akbar0123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unfortunately the vast majority of people will shop at Amazon as long as it remains the most convenient and cheap option, regardless of their environmental record. There should be some sort of law forbidding the excessive use of single use plastics by any corporation.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Amazon have always been terrible at packaging, you get a massive cardboard box for a tiny box of pencils, totally excessive
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Amazon have always been terrible at packaging, you get a massive cardboard box for a tiny box of pencils, totally excessive
True, but at least the cardboard was (theoretically) recyclable - the new packaging doesn't even pretend to be.

It's dire that with all the controversy and knowledge about the harmful effects of unrecyclable plastic in the environment, they've actually reverted back to plastic. :angry:
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They're on fire, apparently...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.82%
No (128)
35.75%

Watched Threads