KlaaraBell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,
I've had to apply for my student finance this year through the EEA migrant worker scheme, as I will not have been living in England for 5 years by the time my course begins. However, by the time second year begins, I will have been living in the UK for over 5 years, and will most likely be granted the indefinite leave to remain. Therefore I would like to know if I would be able to apply for student finance in my second year as a UK student. With my current status, my student finance income is only secure if I am in continuous employment and able to immediately prove so. This is good for now, but having to look for a work based experience, related to my subject in the future, the security of a long term employment, hence eligibility for the finance through the EEA migrant worker scheme might be in jeopardy. As a UK student, I wouldn't have to worry about being continuously employed or being in between jobs for time being, whilst looking for apprenticeships, work based experience, etc. if I understand correctly.

Thank you, Klara.
SFE Tegan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi KlaaraBell,

We assess your residency at the beginning of the course, not each academic year. If you did not meet the requirements of your course then we wouldn't be able to assess you as a home student based on 5 years residency in the UK.

Do you mean you would have Indefinite Leave to Remain under the EU settlement scheme?

Thanks, Tégan
KlaaraBell
Rep:
?
Yeas, indefinite leave to remain under the EU settlement scheme. Thank you.
SFE Tegan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay,

At the moment the EU settlement scheme does not impact your finance. To continue receiving the Maintenance Loan you would need to continue applying as a Migrant Worker due to your employment in the UK.

Thanks, Tégan
KlaaraBell
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Tegan)
Okay,

At the moment the EU settlement scheme does not impact your finance. To continue receiving the Maintenance Loan you would need to continue applying as a Migrant Worker due to your employment in the UK.

Thanks, Tégan
Hi Tégan,
I read that it might be possible to be re-assessed, is this correct?
If I have to re-apply each year for student finance why isn't it based on the circumstances at that time?
I've read a little into the legislation but nothing states clearly that it is based on the point of course start rather than a application point

Kind regards
Klara
SFE Tegan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

To apply as a home student the criteria is 'Have 5 years residency in the UK prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course'. You can find out more about the residency criteria for applying for funding here.

Whilst you apply each year for funding to confirm you are continuing with your course, you are assessed as a returning student. Your eligibility for the full course is checked at the beginning of your first academic year.

Thanks, Tégan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
9%
Disagree (5)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (31)
31%
Agree (40)
40%
Strongly Agree (15)
15%

Watched Threads

Latest