The Student Room Group

New T Level to be worth up to A*A*A* by UCAS

Students who achieve the very top grade in their T-level qualification will have the equivalent of three A*s at A-level, it has been announced.
University admissions service Ucas says a starred distinction will be worth 168 Ucas points - the same as three A*s, each worth 56 points.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49410325

A mix of classroom learning and vocational work experience. Doesnt say if its exams or coursework.

Until now NVQ on the job training has not qualified for UCAS points. Not commenting on the value of these qualifications, but will be interesting to see how many unis give them the same credit and accept them. Not all unis use UCAS points by any means.

The other thing that strikes me is how A*A*A* is aspirational as the top grade rather than being truly exceptional. Feels like grade inflation and that top students from 20/30 years ago who got BBB would be scored much higher in todays environment.
Original post by 999tigger
Students who achieve the very top grade in their T-level qualification will have the equivalent of three A*s at A-level, it has been announced.
University admissions service Ucas says a starred distinction will be worth 168 Ucas points - the same as three A*s, each worth 56 points.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49410325

A mix of classroom learning and vocational work experience. Doesnt say if its exams or coursework.

Until now NVQ on the job training has not qualified for UCAS points. Not commenting on the value of these qualifications, but will be interesting to see how many unis give them the same credit and accept them. Not all unis use UCAS points by any means.

The other thing that strikes me is how A*A*A* is aspirational as the top grade rather than being truly exceptional. Feels like grade inflation and that top students from 20/30 years ago who got BBB would be scored much higher in todays environment.

I think it is rather irrelevant at the very top end of T Levels. Someone with exceptional vocational interests and abilities is hardly likely to throw that up to read a pure academic subject. I would have thought architecture and dentistry might be only subjects which attract them.
sounds pretty much like BTEC level 3 diploma then same grading .. i suspect will be the same outcome ie some unis accept hem some don't s
and some will only if combined with one or 2 a levels.
My ass. Yeah, BTECs are "equivalent" to A-Levels too; good luck getting into a good university with them.

Quorn sausages are "equivalent" to real sausages too, doesn't mean jack.
Bristol uni for masters in maths good enough !!?
Reply 5
EZ.

All of us should do 'T levels' get distinction* and get into Oxbbridge... after all, they are worth triple A*s
The unis looking for A*AA+ aren't going off UCAS Tariff points anyway, so what UCAS thinks this T-Level is worth must be irrelevant in practice.
euquivilant does not mean the same ... a basic understanding of the meaning of words would probably be useful if you want to get ex oxbridge!
Original post by Tabathaxx
Bristol uni for masters in maths good enough !!?

Nah.
Reply 9
What on earth is a T-level?
Original post by Napp
What on earth is a T-level?

At the moment all things to all men.

It is a technical qualification combining workplace and college-based learning.

But is this a minority qualification for people with a genuine vocational skill or a general offering for people unsuitable to do A levels?

If you do a hairdressing apprenticeship at 16, then at 18 you have a genuine skill in cutting someone’s hair. If you do a BTEC in travel and tourism between 16 and 18 you have no marketable skills in the leisure industry over someone with A levels in maths, biology and chemistry.

That is the issue for this new qualification. Is it something that rewards a minority of candidates with a genuine skill or is it a qualification in nothing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending