Certified_raccon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Say you get a degree from imperial, how would other people view you and is imperial prestigious on a global scale. Would a person in America know imperial college London. Like is it on the same level as Cambridge and Oxford. And please don’t reply by saying you shouldn’t go to uni based on prestige, I know that.
AmazingPhysicist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Imperial is on par with Oxford and Cambridge. All three are world-class Universities. Overall, Imperial is 9th in the world, 3rd in the UK and 1st in London. All three are Russell Group Universities TEF Gold, and all extremely good research institutes. Imperial has an extremely high graduate employment rate, and the average starting salary is better than many others. A degree from Imperial is a degree from an internationally recognised University, one of the best in the world. A degree from Imperial is extremely impressive, especially to employers.

(Original post by Certified_raccon)
Say you get a degree from imperial, how would other people view you and is imperial prestigious on a global scale. Would a person in America know imperial college London. Like is it on the same level as Cambridge and Oxford. And please don’t reply by saying you shouldn’t go to uni based on prestige, I know that.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not as good as oxbridge but still pretty good
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, it's globally-known, and very highly rated (top 10 worldwide), but doesn't have quite the same brand recognition as Oxbridge. You have nothing to worry about with a good degree from Imperial.

Many Americans will not know Imperial, although more will in tech.
Certified_raccon
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmazingPhysicist)
Imperial is on par with Oxford and Cambridge. All three are world-class Universities. Overall, Imperial is 9th in the world, 3rd in the UK and 1st in London. All three are Russell Group Universities TEF Gold, and all extremely good research institutes. Imperial has an extremely high graduate employment rate, and the average starting salary is better than many others. A degree from Imperial is a degree from an internationally recognised University, one of the best in the world. A degree from Imperial is extremely impressive, especially to employers.
Do you think individuals from foreign countries would recognise imperial ?
Certified_raccon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student-95)
Not as good as oxbridge but still pretty good
What do you mean by pretty good?
AmazingPhysicist
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you think individuals from foreign countries would recognise imperial ?
I believe they would
AmazingPhysicist
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you mean by pretty good?
Imperial is right below Oxford, Cambridge and UCL. These are the 4 best unis in the country, so Imperial is much better than "pretty good"
Certified_raccon
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmazingPhysicist)
Imperial is right below Oxford, Cambridge and UCL. These are the 4 best unis in the country, so Imperial is much better than "pretty good"
Good cuz I think prestige should be a big part of choosing what uni to go
Patagonia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Britain's answer to MIT
Certified_raccon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Patagonia)
Britain's answer to MIT
Is it equivalent to mit in terms of global relevance and prestige.
sh_ad_ow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For some courses, yes
Unnamed User
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think MIT may be more prestigious worldwide than Imperial
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It goes from very prestigious & elite, to one of the best in world.
In general I would say overall its a small step down from Oxbridge, but in a handful of subjects is better. So in Engineering its the best in Europe, it also is probably on a par with Oxbridge in other hard-STEM subjects.

I think what really makes Imperial excellent on the global stage is its STEM research, its probably on a par to MIT, Caltech in these fields (at research).

Would an American know about Imperial? Average american, No. Moderate understanding of UK higher education, Yes.

STEM research its as good as anybody else, overall a small step back.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Unnamed User)
How about Cambridge ?
Moments
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's prestigious enough to the right people if you're going there for STEM (aka employers).

Average Joe around the world will have only heard of Oxford and Cambridge.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes MIT is more well known, and MIT has a wider base of elite subjects, having an one of the worlds best economics and english departments as well as hard STEM. It certainly has more elite Alumni, with more Nobel laureates and fields medalists. I think its also nowhere near as famous.

But quality if research is just as good in hard STEM.

Imperial suffers in the same way Oxbridge does to US institutions, more super-elite researchers go to the big US schools as there is way more funding, higher salaries and much more flexibility in there research roles.
Unnamed User
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How about Cambridge ?
Cambridge is probably on the same level if not higher, but I guess it's pretty much meaningless when you look at the top few. They are all prestigious and going to any will be amazing.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge is probably on the same level if not higher, but I guess it's pretty much meaningless when you look at the top few. They are all prestigious and going to any will be amazing.
Im asking because I’ve always loved imperial: the area, the way it looks, the courses, it’s 9th place global ranking. But I would also like to go to a prestigious uni where people would be impressed if they herd I go there. Thats why I don’t like lse, Durham or other too unis cuz they arent as know as Oxbridge and imperial
avacados1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Im asking because I’ve always loved imperial: the area, the way it looks, the courses, it’s 9th place global ranking. But I would also like to go to a prestigious uni where people would be impressed if they herd I go there. Thats why I don’t like lse, Durham or other too unis cuz they arent as know as Oxbridge and imperial
Going to uni is a lot more than about impressing others by the name 🤨
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Jun '20
    Thu, 25 Jun '20
    Sat, 19 Sep '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads