Zhen Hui
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! I was wondering which subject choices would look better when I apply for a chemical engineering course in UK.

1- Bio, Chem, Maths, Further Maths.
2- Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths.

Side note though, I dont really like Physics that much but still did okay in IGCSE (A).

...and also, Im not really sure if Im gonna do Chemical Engineering so which choices would be safer....thanks!
Last edited by Zhen Hui; 3 weeks ago
National Extension College
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Zhen Hui)
Hi! I was wondering which subject choices would look better when I apply for a chemical engineering course in UK.

Side note though, I dont really like Physics that much but still did okay in IGCSE (A).
If you don't like Physics, I wouldn't take that as that may affect your grade. I would suggest option 1 as you have laid out if you feel you could achieve decent grades in them. Further Maths, depending on the university and the grade you achieve, may give you an edge when applying.

Best wishes,
Charlotte
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For Chemical Engineering you don’t need physics so doing further maths instead would be fine especially is physics is really hard so if u don’t like it you won’t revise as much and so probably don’t do as well any of those subjects are pretty facilitating, you would only need physics if you wanted to study physics at uni or any other sort of engineering like mechanical electrical engineering and so on which would require both physics and further maths, hope this helps 🙂
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Zhen Hui)

...and also, Im not really sure if Im gonna do Chemical Engineering so which choices would be safer....thanks!
Hi Zhen

Im a fourth year chemical engineer at UOB. I know quite a few people who didn't take physics at A level who have got great results and done amazingly at the course, so I wouldn't take physics if you don't enjoy it.

I will say the course is quite physics heavy, but I wouldn't let this put you off as university physics is very different to A level. I think the best way to see if chem eng is for you is to attend university open days to really get a feel for the course!

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...ays/index.aspx

Thanks, feel free to ask me any questions!

Harry
Hm4600
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As chemical engineering doesn't require physics I would say dont do it, further maths would be more useful, hope this helps😇
Zhen Hui
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, Zhen here, thank you everyone for answering my concerns, hope you have a good day ahead!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate