The Student Room Group

What to study at university?

I'm so confused! I have no idea what subject is best for me at uni. I'm currently doing A Levels in English Lit & Lang, Media Studies and History. The only thing I'm adamant about is that I don't wanna carry on with History any further than A Level. But I'm also very musical and would love to maybe study that at uni but my GCSE grade for it is only a 4, and I'm doing my Grade 7 in Guitar currently buttt I don't think it's enough to do an English and Music degree for example. What careers could could I go into with a degree in English, or English and Media? Is there hope for going down the musical path that way or not really? Very confused haha
Depends what theory grade you have for music I have a friend that has like grade 6 piano that’s gonna apply for maths and music but she has like grade 7 theory so the uni would accept that depends what individual unis require so maybe look up some courses if not within English courses there’s loads like media and communication English lit Lang journalism (written and broadcast) so maybe just have a look at some of those and see what you could maybe have as a backup idea if music is a no go
Reply 2
Original post by evegatesx
What careers could could I go into with a degree in English, or English and Media? Is there hope for going down the musical path that way or not really?

I can't comment on music as a career path, or on English with Music as a degree, so I'll leave that to others.

Of course, there is one career path which English at university does begin to prepare you for, and that's being an English teacher. That's never appealed to me, but it's an honourable profession and one for which there's always a need. In general, though, English isn't a vocational degree subject, so it doesn't train people for one specific career. But students should leave with strong written and spoken communication skills, and also an ability to assimilate and synthesise new information and new experiences rapidly and effectively. There are a lot of graduate jobs which don't require a particular academic background—often, employers want to know that you have a degree with a 2.1 or a first, as it shows you can work at something for a while, and they'd like you to have that degree from a decent university, but they're not very interested in what exactly you studied or where you studied it. That means there's quite a lot of leeway for you to pick a degree subject which you'll enjoy and which you're good at.

It also means there's a huge range of things you could be doing with an English degree—my first job after my degree in English was in medical e-learning. I checked learning materials, ran focus groups, got sent on expensed trips to educational technology fairs, got to know a lot of doctors. It was fun.

For the many graduate jobs which don't require a specific degree, what can be more important than the topic of your degree is your ability to show that you're interested in whatever field(s) you wind up applying in. This makes getting some kind of experience on your CV during your degree very useful—summer jobs, internships, university societies and so on can be a big advantage. It can help to identify one or two fields you might be interested in early on and see if you can get any opportunities in those.
Original post by evegatesx
I'm so confused! I have no idea what subject is best for me at uni. I'm currently doing A Levels in English Lit & Lang, Media Studies and History. The only thing I'm adamant about is that I don't wanna carry on with History any further than A Level. But I'm also very musical and would love to maybe study that at uni but my GCSE grade for it is only a 4, and I'm doing my Grade 7 in Guitar currently buttt I don't think it's enough to do an English and Music degree for example. What careers could could I go into with a degree in English, or English and Media? Is there hope for going down the musical path that way or not really? Very confused haha

You don't have to base your degree solely on what you studied at A level. There are many more degree choices than there are A level subjects, and you can contact universities about their courses to see if Music is a possibility for you.

Quick Reply