rbirch41
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi all,

Im just about to start the final year of my masters degree, however, am considering a somewhat of a change once I have completed the course and have been flirting with the idea of joining the RAF pretty much since I was 16.

If it was possible then I would love to be a pilot however its possible that my eyesight will play ball! Alternatively, should my eyesight not allow, I am interested in joining as a Medic or RAF Police.

My question is how did current servicemen/ women or applicants come to their decision? And how/ what did they work on to become a more rounded person and better applicant, as well as becoming a more confident person?

My friend is currently going through the recruitment phase for the Army and I hope to talk to him about this soon when we next meet up. Additionally I am starting back at the gym and working on getting into the best shape possible should I decide I do want to join. I shall also go into my local recruitment centre when I go back to uni.

Thank you all for any tips/ advice! It's all greatly appreciated.

TL.DR Can't decide if I want to join the RAF, how did current servicemen/ women and applicants come to the conclusion it was right for them? What can I do to become a better, more rounded and confident applicant?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not helpful to you at all, but I 'just knew' it was what I wanted to do. So did.

I didn't consciously do anything to make me a better applicant - I did things because I enjoyed them and had a wide interest base.
rbirch41
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Not helpful to you at all, but I 'just knew' it was what I wanted to do. So did.

I didn't consciously do anything to make me a better applicant - I did things because I enjoyed them and had a wide interest base.
I defiantly will talk to my local AFCO or if the RAF come to my uni careers fair. If im honest I think I will end up joining as its a career path that has consistently cropped back up over the past 5-6 years, next step will be to determine which trade route I want to go down.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rbirch41)
Hi all,

Im just about to start the final year of my masters degree, however, am considering a somewhat of a change once I have completed the course and have been flirting with the idea of joining the RAF pretty much since I was 16.

If it was possible then I would love to be a pilot however its possible that my eyesight will play ball! Alternatively, should my eyesight not allow, I am interested in joining as a Medic or RAF Police.

My question is how did current servicemen/ women or applicants come to their decision? And how/ what did they work on to become a more rounded person and better applicant, as well as becoming a more confident person?

My friend is currently going through the recruitment phase for the Army and I hope to talk to him about this soon when we next meet up. Additionally I am starting back at the gym and working on getting into the best shape possible should I decide I do want to join. I shall also go into my local recruitment centre when I go back to uni.

Thank you all for any tips/ advice! It's all greatly appreciated.

TL.DR Can't decide if I want to join the RAF, how did current servicemen/ women and applicants come to the conclusion it was right for them? What can I do to become a better, more rounded and confident applicant?
Hi

We advise everyone to apply for the role they really want to do as you could be doing it for a long time, so it needs to be right for you. The roles you've listed are massively different, so I can see why you'll need some thought.

If you want to be a pilot then as long as you meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria listed on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website then you can apply. Everything will be looked at during the application process to decide whether you're able to join and go into that role, that's what the application process is for.

With regards to your other choices, the RAF Medic role is primarily an admin-based one, not that of a paramedic, so that may have a bearing on your decision.

Have you had a good read through all of the information on the website? If so, then a trip to your local AFCO is the best next step as the team can talk you through all of the roles and help you make a more informed decision.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rbirch41)
I defiantly will talk to my local AFCO or if the RAF come to my uni careers fair. If im honest I think I will end up joining as its a career path that has consistently cropped back up over the past 5-6 years, next step will be to determine which trade route I want to go down.
This isn't a dig, and I know it's something that auto-correct does, but you don't mean defiantly...

If you're going to be an officer, attention to detail and proof reading starts now!
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I joined Air Cadets, as I knew a member of staff already involved with my local squadron and the range of activities they offered sounded really interesting. I did my first summer camp 6 months later, and section visits and the opportunity to talk to serving personnel made my mind up to be an Engineer Officer.

I was already doing lots of activities at school because I enjoyed them, plus volunteering and charity fundraising outside. I kept up similar interests throughout uni.

For an application to the military you need to show leadership potential by demonstrating that you can take responsibility. There's lots of threads on here advising what the Armed Forces look for in a candidate; have a read and consider how you match up. If you haven't done much, you'll be hard-pressed to get a lot that is meaningful under your belt in your final year of uni. As a recruiter I rejected people who described lots of opportunities available to them, but which they didn't bother to get involved in and had, for example, a few months of playing sport to offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (470)
66.67%
No (235)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed