History A-level in ONE year ( as a private candidate) Watch

username4918046
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is it doable?
I have a centre where I can sit any A-levels I choose to take independently. That is not the issue. The issue is, I really want to do History but I am not sure how it will work out considering the fact that this subject also has coursework. Who will mark my coursework?

Thanks
(I would appreciate honesty. If you think I might be being stupid taking on an A-level like History in one year: do tell)
username4918046
Rep:
?
Any insight will be really appreciated.
anaveragetoad
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's completely plausible to take History A Level in one year. All you need is focus and determination!
realaravinda
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
its perfectly doable even in 2-3 months. If you live in the uk taking a board like aqa,ocr or any uk board, its even possible to study in a month. trust me.
But, the subject should interest you which means it should be your passion - that's what it takes to self study over 7 hours a day.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by realaravinda)
its perfectly doable even in 2-3 months. If you live in the uk taking a board like aqa,ocr or any uk board, its even possible to study in a month. trust me.
But, the subject should interest you which means it should be your passion - that's what it takes to self study over 7 hours a day.
You can complete A level History in a month?
Have you done A levels?
Why should anyone trust you?
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Stresssssssssed)
Is it doable?
I have a centre where I can sit any A-levels I choose to take independently. That is not the issue. The issue is, I really want to do History but I am not sure how it will work out considering the fact that this subject also has coursework. Who will mark my coursework?

Thanks
(I would appreciate honesty. If you think I might be being stupid taking on an A-level like History in one year: do tell)
Possible. but you have an issue with the coursework and you need to find a centre that will mark it or find an exam board where there is no coursework.
realaravinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You can complete A level History in a month?
Have you done A levels?
Why should anyone trust you?
because there is a kid in pakistan who did 22 A levels in a year, including history,furthermath,math,physics and every other subject and he managed to get good grades. He got into cambridge.
If he can do it, anyone can do it. We all have the same brain capabilities.
username4918046
Rep:
?
Possible. but you have an issue with the coursework and you need to find a centre that will mark it or find an exam board where there is no coursework.
Thank you! I mean I could have forced myself to do another A-level (one that does not have coursework) but I really enjoyed History during GCSEs and I wanted to take a facilitating subject. Do you know how much I might have to approximately pay the centre to mark my coursework?

My other worry is that I have no support from a school so.... where will I have the guidance from in terms of the coursework? Will it be entirely up to me or can I expect something from the exam board?
username4918046
Rep:
?
Do people think a local college might allow a student to sit an a-level with them in a year?
realaravinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do people think a local college might allow a student to sit an a-level with them in a year?
there are lot of colleges that offers 1 year A levels... cambridge seminars college is one like that
georgiaconway
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
History a level is very different to GCSE and very content heavy however it is doable I did my coursework in 2 weeks as as long as you skim read the books for quotes and have an interesting topic that’s not an issue our teacher marked ours but then a small percentage get sent off. Hope this helps! You don’t need a level history for most university courses though so another subject may be easier.
username4918046
Rep:
?
there are lot of colleges that offers 1 year A levels... cambridge seminars college is one like that
Do they charge? If so, how much?
realaravinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do they charge? If so, how much?
deffa over £10000. why don't you try cloudlearn.co.uk ? It's kinda like an online school and you can learn at your own speed. gonna cost you like £340 or something
username4918046
Rep:
?
deffa over £10000. why don't you try cloudlearn.co.uk ? It's kinda like an online school and you can learn at your own speed. gonna cost you like £340 or something
This is so frustrating. I cannot really ask my mum to pay anything above a hundred pounds. I would much rather just only pay for the papers I am sitting. I might email local colleges asking if they might let me do an A-level for free (in a year). If not, I will just pick another coursework-free subject.

I just wish there was some of doing History A-level independently. This is so disheartening.
jsjsmsm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The problem with subjects which require Coursework is that someone needs to verify that it is your own work. However, Cloudlearn offers interest free payment plans and their History tutor is great!
Chloemilton15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is it doable?

Thanks
I more or less had to do my history alevel in a year as I was ill during as. It is doable as long as you work VERY hard! I ended up with a b (2 marks off an a!) If you go ahead with it good luck!
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
because there is a kid in pakistan who did 22 A levels in a year, including history,furthermath,math,physics and every other subject and he managed to get good grades. He got into cambridge.
If he can do it, anyone can do it. We all have the same brain capabilities.
He didnt do History.
He is on par with genius level.
Not sure the OP is quite there.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jsjsmsm)
The problem with subjects which require Coursework is that someone needs to verify that it is your own work. However, Cloudlearn offers interest free payment plans and their History tutor is great!
Are you or have you used cloudlearn? These forums could do with feedback on people who have used online providers.
noorgal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did history A level and honestly, it was a lot of work. It felt like 3 A levels at times. I would be very very cautious if you are planning to do it in a year since there is a lot of work involved and you may feel overwhelmed.
jsjsmsm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you or have you used cloudlearn? These forums could do with feedback on people who have used online providers.
Yes, I have and would definitely recommend them in terms of tutor support! I have to say though that I found the course materials provided not too useful and bought some textbooks and revision guides instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (230)
58.38%
No (138)
35.03%

Watched Threads