learn233
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I just competed my AS and I got my results back and I am going to year 13. I got 4 C's and I am very disappointed because I had the ambition to apply to Cambridge and now I cant. A year 13 student told me I might to get in through adjustment but is that possible if I work hard next year and I get three A*s to do this? I heard Cambridge recently started to do this.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by learn233)
Hi I just competed my AS and I got my results back and I am going to year 13. I got 4 C's and I am very disappointed because I had the ambition to apply to Cambridge and now I cant. A year 13 student told me I might to get in through adjustment but is that possible if I work hard next year and I get three A*s to do this? I heard Cambridge recently started to do this.
This was the first year they ran an adjustment process. To qualify to enter it, you had to have already made an application, been interviewed, and been rejected after interview, and have at least 3 of the 5 flags for disadvantage, then exceed the firm offer you held elsewhere and the minimum requirement for the Cam course.

If they run adjustment again next year, you'd have to look out for the requirements, but 4Cs would be very unlikely to get you to interview, so you wouldn't qualify if the rules stay the same.

Best bet is to apply with a gap year, after your A level results come out, if you have the grades then.
learn233
Rep:
?
So how does applying with a gap year work for Cambridge? Can I do the same thing for a university like Imperial which has the same entry requirement as Cambridge for my course? Also, do you think my school will force me to apply to universities this year if I don’t want to and I want to take a gap year? I feel like changing sixth forms and redoing y12 but I don’t want to leave my current sixth form because it’s one of the best in East London.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So how does applying with a gap year work for Cambridge? Can I do the same thing for a university like Imperial which has the same entry requirement as Cambridge for my course? Also, do you think my school will force me to apply to universities this year if I don’t want to and I want to take a gap year? I feel like changing sixth forms and redoing y12 but I don’t want to leave my current sixth form because it’s one of the best in East London.
Applying for Cam is the same as any other Uni, you either apply in Yr 13 for deferred entry, or you apply the October after you leave school.

I've no idea what your schools approach to applications will be, you need to ask them.

If you redo Year 12 you will almost certainly exclude yourself from a competitive application to Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, maybe UCL unless you are having a change of subjects ie sciences to Humanities or similar. The workload at those universities requires applicants to demonstrate they can get the necessary A level grades in 2 years.

You need to be realistic, with 4 Cs at AS you aren't likely to get offers from any top Universities. You either have to lower your sights a little, or apply once you've got your grades.
learn233
Rep:
?
So if I do get the grades next year, and I apply the October I leave school do I go through the Cambridge admissions process as usual? What is deferred entry? Do I have to apply with the cohort a year below and prepare for admissions tests and staff as usual?
meme259
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
be realistic. youre not getting in with 3 Cs, adjustment or no adjustment. your best bet is to do a levels, do excellently, then take a gap year and apply with the year below, do all the admissions tests and stuff as usual but with the year below rather than your year.
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So if I do get the grades next year, and I apply the October I leave school do I go through the Cambridge admissions process as usual? What is deferred entry? Do I have to apply with the cohort a year below and prepare for admissions tests and staff as usual?
1. Yes
2. Deferred entry means applying in Y13 as normal but getting an offer for a year later than usual - not applicable in your situation unless you want to take two gap years.
3. Yes
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Deferred entry is identical to normal entry, except if you get an offer, it's not for the next October, but the October after.

So if you are going into Y13 in September, you would apply before October 15th for an October 2020 start. If you apply for deferred entry, you are still applying etc this October, but your offer would be for a 2021 start.

However, if you want a 2021 start, you could also just apply normally in 2020.

You aren't competitive for an application to be made by this October for either entry date. Deferral is irrelevant. You need to wait until you have your final A level grades and if they are sufficient, apply in 2020 for a 2021 start.
username4659050
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I messed up and got BCD at As levels. My school is predicting me AAB and I feel like I can achieve it by working reallyyy hard. The course I want to do at UCL requires AAB (civil engineering by contextual offer). Do you think there’s a point in me applying or would it just be a waste of choice??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (422)
56.64%
I don't have everything I need (323)
43.36%

Watched Threads