obrendanx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi hope its okay to put here, but i am thinking about applying for ucas for university. However this will be the third time i have done it, as the last two times i was unsure and backed out last minute. After spending nearly a year working after finishing my A levels im feeling more confident and ready to go to university and i think it will be the best choice.Will ucas be okay with me applying for a third time though and the same for university's as well or will i just be declined as they might see me as just constantly changing my mind. thank you for any help!
mpcwa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by obrendanx)
Hi hope its okay to put here, but i am thinking about applying for ucas for university. However this will be the third time i have done it, as the last two times i was unsure and backed out last minute. After spending nearly a year working after finishing my A levels im feeling more confident and ready to go to university and i think it will be the best choice.Will ucas be okay with me applying for a third time though and the same for university's as well or will i just be declined as they might see me as just constantly changing my mind. thank you for any help!
So you're taking a 2nd gap year? I don't think they will have an issue with it. Maybe ring up at ask. Also if you want any support please message me cos I want someone to talk to who may be in a similar situation as well
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ucas and universities won’t care. The only thing that might be tricky is arranging an academic reference. Speak to your old school about getting a reference from them
mpcwa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Ucas and universities won’t care. The only thing that might be tricky is arranging an academic reference. Speak to your old school about getting a reference from them
If you do a year at uni, drop out in order to start another course, who would do your reference? A lot of the time you may be dropping out at the end of the year and it won't be long enough to get a reference from your previous school etc.? And you still need to make a ucas account and go through clearing don't you?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mpcwa)
If you do a year at uni, drop out in order to start another course, who would do your reference? A lot of the time you may be dropping out at the end of the year and it won't be long enough to get a reference from your previous school etc.? And you still need to make a ucas account and go through clearing don't you?
If you spend time at university then a new university will normally expect a reference from your current university.

For transfers it is much better to apply well before clearing - ideally by the January deadline.
mpcwa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you spend time at university then a new university will normally expect a reference from your current university.

For transfers it is much better to apply well before clearing - ideally by the January deadline.
thanks. Why can't you use clearing?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mpcwa)
thanks. Why can't you use clearing?
If you’re hoping to transfer into second year then the APEL process (where a university assesses module content and grades from another university for compatibility with the applied for course) takes quite a lot of time. Something that isn’t easy to find for admissions staff in clearing.

Even clearing applications for first year entry require a reference (and a full ucas application). And obtaining a reference from your current university during the summer break is also likely to be problematic. Add in that in clearing choices are limited (whereas before the January deadline you can apply to any course) and it’s not ideal to try to use clearing to transfer.

It’s possible to do - but it’s not sensible if you know earlier in the year that you’re unhappy and would like to move university. The later you leave applying the more limited your options and more risk that you won’t be successful in finding a place you prefer.
mpcwa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you’re hoping to transfer into second year then the APEL process (where a university assesses module content and grades from another university for compatibility with the applied for course) takes quite a lot of time. Something that isn’t easy to find for admissions staff in clearing.

Even clearing applications for first year entry require a reference (and a full ucas application). And obtaining a reference from your current university during the summer break is also likely to be problematic. Add in that in clearing choices are limited (whereas before the January deadline you can apply to any course) and it’s not ideal to try to use clearing to transfer.

It’s possible to do - but it’s not sensible if you know earlier in the year that you’re unhappy and would like to move university. The later you leave applying the more limited your options and more risk that you won’t be successful in finding a place you prefer.
Do you have to drop out before making this application or can you stay at your university and finish the year? Would probably be transfering to a different course into first year. On normal UCAS applications you get 5 choices, is this still the case with this kind of application?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mpcwa)
Do you have to drop out before making this application or can you stay at your university and finish the year? Would probably be transfering to a different course into first year. On normal UCAS applications you get 5 choices, is this still the case with this kind of application?
If you want to apply for first year then I would strongly recommend NOT starting another degree! There’s plenty of more useful ways to spend a year while reapplying

Universities look kindly on genuine transfer applications - not so much on students who decide to start a course they never intended to complete.

Applying through ucas doesn’t commit you to leaving a current course. All ucas applications before the deadline are the same no matter where you’re currently studying.
Last edited by PQ; 1 year ago
mpcwa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you want to apply for first year then I would strongly recommend NOT starting another degree! There’s plenty of more useful ways to spend a year while reapplying

Universities look kindly on genuine transfer applications - not so much on students who decide to start a course they never intended to complete.

Applying through ucas doesn’t commit you to leaving a current course. All ucas applications before the deadline are the same no matter where you’re currently studying.
hi already taken a gap year and i don't think taking another one will get me anywhere I think I should probably just take a punt at something
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (139)
62.05%
I don't have everything I need (85)
37.95%

Watched Threads