dontevenknow2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I will be doing 3 a levels, is it true that some days I will not even have to go in for the entire year, and some days I may only be in for 2/3 hours ?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on your sixth form, but at mine, each of your A Levels would have one class per day, with one double for each per week. So for you that would be 3 lessons (well 4 for me as I took 4) on two days a week, and four on the other three. The rest are usually study periods (1 study per day for 3 days and 2 on the other 2 days), but some colleges like you to remain at college, or require you to do other kinds of enrichment. Like we had a lesson just for employability skills once a week, sports once a week and volunteering once a week somewhere in the school (most of us just chose our favourite teacher and helped out with one of their lower school lessons for this). So you might not end up with as much time out of lessons as you think.

Also, don't get into the habit of thinking you're "free" when you don't have lessons. Do that, and you'll panic come May, and not do as well as you should.

Enjoy yourself, but make the most of your free time, too. Study wise, I mean.
lemmens
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dontevenknow2)
I will be doing 3 a levels, is it true that some days I will not even have to go in for the entire year, and some days I may only be in for 2/3 hours ?
It depends how your timetable works out and how your college does stuff. But each A-level has 5 hours worth of teaching each week, so you’ll have 15 in total. And with a 25 hour week, this will leave you quite a bit of time for self-study, which you should be able to go home for

And the above post is 100% right, use your free time wisely as a-levels are very challenging.
Last edited by lemmens; 4 weeks ago
dontevenknow2
Rep:
?
okay, is it possible though that I could have a day "free"
lemmens
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
okay, is it possible though that I could have a day "free"
Maybe, it honestly just depends on how your college structures the timetables and subjects.
Deggs_14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I often have mornings or afternoons with no lessons, but my school requires that we stay in school from 8.30 until 5 every day, but sixth formers can go out for lunch time. My y12 timetable was odd as on one Wednesday I’d only have 1 lesson period one, and be free the rest of the day, but the Thursday I had lessons all day. Sixth form isn’t just a levels though, you’ll probably have a careers/university/ucas/job lesson thing once a week, we have a sports afternoon for 3 hours, and you’ll be doing volunteering anyway. Usually you’d have one sort of “free” lesson a day though, it might work out that you have a morning or afternoon off. Personally just stay in school and go to the library to get work done. Travelling to and from home and school during free periods is just a waste of time, you’d have to work late evenings. If you want mornings, afternoons and sometimes days off, then go to college instead, as that’s classifies as “part time” education. Most people would have a job in retail if they did that etc.
dontevenknow2
Rep:
?
When I went to open day they told me sixth form is where you are free to leave when you dont have lessons, For sports is that compulsory to get involved in a sport ?
Espançais
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
College still classes as full time education 🤨
I mean I did three A levels (four at AS) but because I went to a college not a sixth form attached to a school (which is how it works in my area unless it’s private) I had Wednesdays “off” in yr 13. Still had the same amount of lesson time though.

But yeah agree it depends where you go
Espançais
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When I went to open day they told me sixth form is where you are free to leave when you dont have lessons, For sports is that compulsory to get involved in a sport ?
Again depends on the school/ college. At mine nothing was compulsory except A level (or btec) classes, tutor lessons on ucas, sex ed whatever once a fortnight, and RE lessons on the other week (Catholic college, but tbh they were more like moral/ political debates)
No compulsory sports or volunteering or anything like that, although ample opportunities if we did want to
Last edited by Espançais; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.09%
Disagree (4)
7.27%
Neither agree or disagree (16)
29.09%
Agree (19)
34.55%
Strongly Agree (11)
20%

Watched Threads