JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I don’t think it’s fair to compare. A policeman dying in the U.K is obviously going to get more coverage than the amazon in Brazil.
The point I was making was that there was not nearly as much coverage as needed on the rainforest burning down for the past 3 weeks and still going.

I can accept a UK police officer dying will get more coverage, that's not my point.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The usual suspects are the causers of this environmental destruction:

Name:  brazilian-beef-exports-1024x689.png
Views: 9
Size:  227.3 KB
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)

Except it isnt just about meat.
Plenty of other environmental destruction going on besides whats going on in Brazil.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
It's not news, that's why. This happens every year during the dry season.
lol oh. didnt know that. was about to go off haha. cos I like Rio.

:rofl:
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
lol oh. didnt know that. was about to go off haha. cos I like Rio.

:rofl:
:rofl: Yeah, as someone else later pointed out in this thread it's a bit more serious this time around due to the leader apparently allowing certain things to happen, but at the time this thread was made and the time I made that post it as far as most of us knew was just another fire same as every year.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Except it isnt just about meat.
Plenty of other environmental destruction going on besides whats going on in Brazil.
The news reports I have seen sjowed farmers that deforested the region to create cattle ranches
Last edited by NJA; 3 weeks ago
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
:rofl: Yeah, as someone else later pointed out in this thread it's a bit more serious this time around due to the leader apparently allowing certain things to happen, but at the time this thread was made and the time I made that post it as far as most of us knew was just another fire same as every year.
ah. cos my little sister saw the gif i just put and she was like "ur a grown man, what is happening, why is Rio here?" :rofl: and i told her, the rainforest is on fire. She said, "think of all the birdies and crops and people " awwww lol im not an environmentalist or green party but she opened my eyes a bit pretty ****ed up. Apparently the forest helps us breathe as a planet ...
BuckHowls
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This has been happening for years now and it is only getting news coverage now. There are many endangered species living in the forest like the black squirrel monkey and Brazilian tapir. Humans are already responsible for the extinction of many animals. We need to get our act together and start doing better to protect the animals that we share this planet with.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
The news reports I have seen sjowed farmers that deforested the region to create cattle ranches
If the Chinese werent buying meat from Brazil they would be buying it from somewhere else.
What about all the other environmental damage going on by heavy polluting nations either because they create a lot of pollution per capita or per country?
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
If the Chinese werent buying meat from Brazil they would be buying it from somewhere else.
What about all the other environmental damage going on by heavy polluting nations either because they create a lot of pollution per capita or per country?
Quick economics lesson: if supply is reduced price goes up consumers seek alternatives to beef. The enlightened West could subsidize farmers to produce less invasive crops and animals such as the ostrich which has much higher quality meat.
_Wellies_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
Quick economics lesson: if supply is reduced price goes up consumers seek alternatives to beef. The enlightened West could subsidize farmers to produce less invasive crops and animals such as the ostrich which has much higher quality meat.
If demand and supply were as simplistic as your grasp of economics implied, we could so easily solve many of the world’s problems. Maybe once you’ve had a few more economics lessons, you’ll realise consumer preferences are more complex.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)

Many of these countries are eating more meat under the influence of US mega-corporations like the big burger chains. They didn't previously have a high meat diet in places like China - now they do. The graph of meat consumption moved higher when Burger King and McDonalds landed there, like alien predators.

Meat production and consumption are huge causes of both eco-destruction and global heating.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by _Wellies_)
If demand and supply were as simplistic as your grasp of economics implied, we could so easily solve many of the world’s problems. Maybe once you’ve had a few more economics lessons, you’ll realise consumer preferences are more complex.
I have an economics degree from Bristol.
Yes there are other factors that affect demand such as desire to save the environment which doesn't feature in some countries because they ruthlessly oppose free speech i.e. there is not a free market in information, which is why the West might have to resort to more stringent methods.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Many of these countries are eating more meat under the influence of US mega-corporations like the big burger chains. They didn't previously have a high meat diet in places like China - now they do. The graph of meat consumption moved higher when Burger King and McDonalds landed there, like alien predators.

Meat production and consumption are huge causes of both eco-destruction and global heating.
Indeed and it is predictable that this would happen. International organisations such as G7 have been asleep on the job, free market economics has its limitations, short-term profit wins over long-term considerations, which is why they should step in to prevent this sort of thing, as happened with the slave trade where Britain paid off the slave traders and stopped it. . . slave chains to burger chains!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The Amazon is on fire! Just as it was last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that...

*tens of millions of iterations later*

...and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that.
JanekC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I think the main reason it’s been so underreported is due to the lack of cameras. When Norte Dam went up there were film crews already in the area. You don’t get cameras in the Amazon. These days if you don’t have pictures you don’t have a story.
I think your right...lack of personnel with cameras over in the amazon and many other regions is a clear indication of biased if not any news is spread on such important topics as these. I hope as I learn environmental science at A-level there will number 1 be an environment to care and conserve and number 2, I can have the opportunity to make sure as many people know about the challenges the Earth faces!
Mayuxue
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Climate change shows the benefits of authoritarian regimes.

China has slashed CO2 emissions through state-directed family planning, removing hundreds of millions of unnecessary births.

Many undeveloped countries hold globally important assets such as the Amazon, and they threaten the entire world through their misuse.

Why are the lungs of the world controlled by a corrupt, drug-war ravaged country? China and the EU should annex the Amazon and safeguard it.
As a Brazilian, it pains me to see how little you know about Brazil.

Giving authority to China would end up in disaster, considering that much of China’s own rainforest was destroyed. And Europe is pretty much deprived of it’s once vast forests.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
European forest music
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top