The Student Room Group

Part masters or Full time

I'm in the process of accepting an offer in English language teaching and Applied linguistic, Full time. However, I haven't been sure about my decision for a number of reasons.1) Originally I planned to take a year out to gain experience in the field of teaching (aborad) then come back to MA with the experience and knowledge gained2) I will have to take a loan out via - stf :frown: more debt and higher interest rate 3) I'm also afraid of the pressure and stress - full-time masters is intense I believe there are more pros than cons if I was to do part-time such as: - I can study and gain experience at the same time- mostly likely fund my own masters- l believe it would be a less stressful experience academically Although, I'm also not sure about part-time master as I haven't made preparations for it, like securing a job orrrrr even tried applying for better universities what are your thoughts ?????
Original post by blueapple203
I'm in the process of accepting an offer in English language teaching and Applied linguistic, Full time. However, I haven't been sure about my decision for a number of reasons.1) Originally I planned to take a year out to gain experience in the field of teaching (aborad) then come back to MA with the experience and knowledge gained2) I will have to take a loan out via - stf :frown: more debt and higher interest rate 3) I'm also afraid of the pressure and stress - full-time masters is intense I believe there are more pros than cons if I was to do part-time such as: - I can study and gain experience at the same time- mostly likely fund my own masters- l believe it would be a less stressful experience academically Although, I'm also not sure about part-time master as I haven't made preparations for it, like securing a job orrrrr even tried applying for better universities what are your thoughts ?????

Hello Blueapple203,

How are you? I noticed your thread and you ask an interesting question. There are pros and cons for studying full time or part time for a Masters degree. If you have a job, or you are working full time or even part time, a part time postgraduate degree can sometimes work favourably so that you don't give up a job to study. Part time also works well if you are not a recent graduate or you have taken a break after studying for your undergraduate degree. If you are studying something different to your undergraduate degree a part time option can ease you into study after a break and allow you to get used to a different postgraduate subject area. Part time can give you the breathing space you may need to enjoy the contents of the programme more and not be under pressure, and sometimes you can apply your learning to your job whilst you study, if it is relevant. It gives you more balance in life, though you will still need time to read and study.

The advantages of full time study is that you are normally only studying across a year, you are in lectures with one group of people, and you are able to combine all of your reading and learning in that period. It is really up to you and how you feel about studying full time. You need to factor in how long ago it has been since you studied your undergraduate degree, the commitments you may or may not have in your life, and the freedom you may or may not have. I hope this helps. It is maybe worth talking to people who have studied full time and part time to get an idea about their challenges and opportunities. Gathering as much information as you can about this will help you decide what is right for you.

Wishing you success, whatever path you choose!
Original post by blueapple203

It might be worth talking at one of the tutors at the university about full and part time options, and what current part time students are doing alongside their degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending