Azotic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello all. So currently I’m in year 13 and I don’t really know what degree to study. I am currently doing a levels in maths, biology and chemistry, although my results for year 12 are quite bad but I am aiming for all A’s. My parents really want me to do medicine and my dad calls me dr. However, I did not achieve the English language requirement and got a grade 4 which is not suitable for any undergraduate medicine course, so I would have to apply through the graduate entry and even that place in medicine is not confirmed. I have looked into courses such as engineering and pharmacy but they don’t seem that appealing as I’m scared there will be no jobs in that sector. I don’t think I can apply to optometry either because I have a lazy eye in my left eye which turns slightly to the left when I look at things so I would not be able to make eye contact and why be an optometrist who improves the eye when my eyes aren’t that good? I really don’t know what to do and which degree to take, if I don’t go into medicine I think they will be disappointed for all their life. I would really appreciate advice
Last edited by Azotic; 4 weeks ago
lemmens
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Azotic)
Hello all. So currently I’m in year 13 and I don’t really know what degree to study. I am currently doing a levels in maths, biology and chemistry, although my results for year 12 are quite bad but I am aiming for all A’s. My parents really want me to do medicine and my dad calls me dr. However, I did not achieve the English language requirement and got a grade 4 which is not suitable for any undergraduate medicine course, so I would have to apply through the graduate entry and even that place in medicine is not confirmed. I have looked into courses such as engineering and pharmacy but they don’t seem that appealing as I’m scared there will be no jobs in that sector. I don’t think I can apply to optometry either because I have a lazy eye in my left eye which turns slightly to the left when I look at things so I would not be able to make eye contact and why be an optometrist who improves the eye when my eyes aren’t that good? I really don’t know what to do and which degree to take, if I don’t go into medicine I think they will be disappointed for all their life. I would really appreciate advice
Please don’t choose your degree and the rest of your future based off what anybody else wants. This is YOUR life and YOUR choice, so choose what you enjoy!! If you really want medicine, then you could perhaps retake the English GCSE this year? Other similar courses could be dentistry, nursing, pharmacology, veterinary science etc.

Biomedical science is something I would seriously consider as your A-levels link to it perfectly and it would be a great opportunity to find out whether medicine would really be for you and still give you different options after graduating.

If you enjoy your A-levels, perhaps consider biochemistry or natural sciences covering bio and chem? You could choose modules related to whatever you’re interested in and get a very well respected degree at the end of it. And if by then you think medicine is for you, it would be a good lead into graduate entry.

I’d go with what you enjoy and what interests you, as this will be what you’ll be studying for quite a few years of your life. With your A-levels, you have a lot of doors open to you so I’d definitely explore each one and see what best appeals to you personally
fatimalatif806
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi
soz i can't give u any advice but i was wondering if you could give me some. I'm gonna start college this year and I'm picking the exact same subjects that you are currently taking. I just wanted to hear honestly how 'hard' it is or how much work load there is cos I'm scared i wont be able to cope with it but I too want to get good grades at the end of the two years
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can retake the English language GCSE if you want to apply to medicine. I think GCSE retakes are less of an issue, although ecolier or nexttime may be able to confirm or deny that. If you want to apply to medicine I would suggest retaking and trying for standard entry medicine, rather than GEM, since GEM is considerable more competitive.

Unless the lazy eye prevents you from doing the clinical work it will make no difference. People don't care whether their healthcare providers have health issues of their own - they're only human after all. Dentists don't all have perfect teeth, nurses get sick, doctors can have depression, etc, etc. It would be absurd, and illegal, to discriminate against healthcare workers due to having illnesses, provided the illness doesn't prevent them doing their work (for example doctors with e.g. hepatitis may not be able to work in certain specialties where there would be a high risk of exposing others to it).
mpcwa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi I wouldn't worry about a lack of jobs in engineering? It's a useful degree even if you go into a different career at the end of it
worth75772
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey. NEVER choose a degree or job specialty because that’s what your parents want you to do. My family wanted me to be a lawyer, but I did not want my life to take that road so I mucked about. I did a basic business course at 16 at college and worked in offices for the last 18 years. I have now decided at 33 to go to university to study primary teaching which is something I’ve wanted to do since being a child. I wish I had the courage at a young age to stand up for what I wanted to do. Please don’t do what I did and do something that you really don’t enjoy. Life is too short and your parents should support you not make you feel bad for your life choices.

With your A levels you could go into various degrees/careers and you could always retake any GCSE’s that you need to get a better grade in. Also most undergraduate degrees/universities allow you to swap your degree if you find that what you are studying is not what you thought it would be or if it is not for you. I think they only do this if they have space on the degree you want to switch to and it is better than dropping out if you find that you have chose the wrong degree.

I hope this advice from someone a little older helps and that you have the courage to stand up for what you want to do! Good luck x x
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Unless the lazy eye prevents you from doing the clinical work it will make no difference. People don't care whether their healthcare providers have health issues of their own - they're only human after all. Dentists don't all have perfect teeth, nurses get sick, doctors can have depression, etc, etc. It would be absurd, and illegal, to discriminate against healthcare workers due to having illnesses, provided the illness doesn't prevent them doing their work (for example doctors with e.g. hepatitis may not be able to work in certain specialties where there would be a high risk of exposing others to it).
Agree with what you say. Just retaking the GCSE seems the best option.

I don't think a lazy eye would stop you working as an optometrist. It is perhaps of note though that it probably would prevent someone working as an ophthalmologist, as 3D vision is vital when operating on the eye.

. My parents really want me to do medicine and my dad calls me dr.
That's a bit messed up.

Are they doctors? What do they even know about being a doctor? Could they name the pay, or length of training, or daily duties?
Azotic
Rep:
?
I just want to thank everybody for the great advice. This has given me hope that there are a lot of degrees out there and i have to make a decision for myself as this is my future. Thank you everyone
Azotic
Rep:
?
You can retake the English language GCSE if you want to apply to medicine. I think GCSE retakes are less of an issue, although ecolier or nexttime may be able to confirm or deny that. If you want to apply to medicine I would suggest retaking and trying for standard entry medicine, rather than GEM, since GEM is considerable more competitive.

Thank you for helping me see the bigger picture and boosting my confidence up greatly, i really appreciate the advice.
Last edited by Azotic; 4 weeks ago
Azotic
Rep:
?
(Original post by worth75772)
Hey. NEVER choose a degree or job specialty because that’s what your parents want you to do. My family wanted me to be a lawyer, but I did not want my life to take that road so I mucked about. I did a basic business course at 16 at college and worked in offices for the last 18 years. I have now decided at 33 to go to university to study primary teaching which is something I’ve wanted to do since being a child. I wish I had the courage at a young age to stand up for what I wanted to do. Please don’t do what I did and do something that you really don’t enjoy. Life is too short and your parents should support you not make you feel bad for your life choices.

With your A levels you could go into various degrees/careers and you could always retake any GCSE’s that you need to get a better grade in. Also most undergraduate degrees/universities allow you to swap your degree if you find that what you are studying is not what you thought it would be or if it is not for you. I think they only do this if they have space on the degree you want to switch to and it is better than dropping out if you find that you have chose the wrong degree.

I hope this advice from someone a little older helps and that you have the courage to stand up for what you want to do! Good luck x x
Your story sounds so relatable, im happy that you are doing what you want to do now and wish you all the best. Thanks for the advice.
Azotic
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemmens)
Please don’t choose your degree and the rest of your future based off what anybody else wants. This is YOUR life and YOUR choice, so choose what you enjoy!! If you really want medicine, then you could perhaps retake the English GCSE this year? Other similar courses could be dentistry, nursing, pharmacology, veterinary science etc.

Biomedical science is something I would seriously consider as your A-levels link to it perfectly and it would be a great opportunity to find out whether medicine would really be for you and still give you different options after graduating.

If you enjoy your A-levels, perhaps consider biochemistry or natural sciences covering bio and chem? You could choose modules related to whatever you’re interested in and get a very well respected degree at the end of it. And if by then you think medicine is for you, it would be a good lead into graduate entry.

I’d go with what you enjoy and what interests you, as this will be what you’ll be studying for quite a few years of your life. With your A-levels, you have a lot of doors open to you so I’d definitely explore each one and see what best appeals to you personally
Thank you so much for helping me see all the options that i have. I really appreciate the advice. I'm probably going to retake my english language gcse because this will open up more options and then i will choose a degree from there. Thank you
lemmens
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for helping me see all the options that i have. I really appreciate the advice. I'm probably going to retake my english language gcse because this will open up more options and then i will choose a degree from there. Thank you
Sounds good!! No problem at all, I wish you all the best for your future and I’m sure it’ll work out well for you
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Correct, retaking GCSEs is fine.

Even retaking A-Levels these days are much less of a taboo. 18 med schools will consider them.
Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there Azotic!

Don't worry that you are a little unsure of what degree you would like to study just yet, for a lot of people are unsure at this stage (myself included when I was choosing which degree to study)

Also please remember that the degree which you choose to study should be just your choice, don't let others influence you too much when picking your course as university should be an enjoyable experience and by picking a subject which you know that you enjoy and are passionate about will make your university experience much more enjoyable and gratifying.

I would suggest having a read around on university websites to see what kind of modules are available for courses which you like the look of, they will tell you in more detail about the specifics of what you will be studying and you will be able to decide if the topics are interesting and exciting to you or not. If you are interested in having a look at the types of courses which Aberystwyth University have to offer then information is available on the website: https://courses.aber.ac.uk/

After you have got a little more idea about what kind of department or courses are taking your interest, I would then suggest going to as many open days as you can and directly speaking to the departments. Open days will give you a feel of the campus and you will be able to ask about what facilities, opportunities and methods of teaching each university offers.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Eliza
fatimalatif806
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fatimalatif806)
hi
soz i can't give u any advice but i was wondering if you could give me some. I'm gonna start college this year and I'm picking the exact same subjects that you are currently taking. I just wanted to hear honestly how 'hard' it is or how much work load there is cos I'm scared i wont be able to cope with it but I too want to get good grades at the end of the two years
thanks for the 'replies', much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?