DSA Assessor Horrible for study needs Assesment. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

Basically I have had my study needs Assesment and it went ok but the lady there was horrible, she tried to belittle my health problems I suffer from epilepsy, Sleep disorder, fainting, stress and axienty. She made me feel very uncomfortable speaking to her, she didn’t understand nor want to understand what I was going through.

During the chat she went through some software and she recommended a laptop but I explained to her that due to my health I am unable to stay in university for long periods of times due my stress and axienty and I am on engineering course it requires a lot design so can the laptop you provide be capable of playing design software and it would have also been beneficial for me aswell when I have seizures I need to take extended time off, so I would be able to do some of the design work at home, when I asked this question on the laptop she started raise her tone and started shout and not undertstand the differculties I was facing, I wasn’t happy with they way she treated nor the she explaining things to me properly?

During this conversation she treated me like a worthless piece of ****. It’s like she was saying to me your not disabled enough and she didn’t understand how long it took me gain confidence to tell the university. Regarding the laptop, she said we would not upgrade and you would need to pay for it yourself. The assessor also said that applying for DSA your getting advantage above your piers and this made me feel even more guilty.

I also stated to here the problems I had in college and stated what they did to help and she just refused to listen and started making up excuses that this is advantage or you don’t need this. She wasn’t really listening, she just really wanted to fob me off and was getting angry when I mentioned something that helped me in the past. She was obsessed in what she wanted and didn’t really care, I felt it was a test to prove I was ill enough and felt it’s even worse than pip Assesment and haven’t even had that yet.

The assessor also tried to infer that I was dum and didn’t understand what study needs Assesment was and she tried to embarrass and put into a horrible position by saying “I don’t think you understand and I think we should bring in the disability adviser your regularly in contact so she can explain it you”. I 100% knew what the Assesment was for she tried to patronise me and it worked as I feels worthless and that she wasn’t listening

I whole heartily feel if it was a white kid, she would have treated hims differently. Just because I am brown I felt she tried to push and really abuse here position I feel and I am also thinking about writing a complaint to Assesment centre but feel it wouldn’t be taken seriously?

Ps I want all student to know how Sheffield Hallam university Assesment centre treated me, so please be aware.
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't make this about colour. Honestly my personal view is that university should be a meritocracy where everyone is treated the same - so no special measures. Same course, same exams, same degree. In the real world it's not always possible to give someone extra time or special conditions to work.

Given we have a system that makes special adjustments then it looks like they are assessing you and providing you with a laptop. It is blatantly rude to expect them to provide an upgraded machine to do aspects of the course that your classmates have to do (either provide their own or use a college machine). Perhaps a bit of gratitude at your taxpayer provided computer and special consideration of your circumstances? I suspect these laptops are a standard machine bought in bulk at a discount.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Apachecow)
Don't make this about colour. Honestly my personal view is that university should be a meritocracy where everyone is treated the same - so no special measures. Same course, same exams, same degree. In the real world it's not always possible to give someone extra time or special conditions to work.

Given we have a system that makes special adjustments then it looks like they are assessing you and providing you with a laptop. It is blatantly rude to expect them to provide an upgraded machine to do aspects of the course that your classmates have to do (either provide their own or use a college machine). Perhaps a bit of gratitude at your taxpayer provided computer and special consideration of your circumstances? I suspect these laptops are a standard machine bought in bulk at a discount.
Mate don’t insult me if you don’t understand my situation. I have got mobility issues like I explained and due to my epilepsy I had to take extended time, my point was only if I had machine to run design software I would be able to do it at home and not fall behind whilst recovering from seizures. I am thankful for taxpayer for laptop and wasn’t trying to come access to being rude but that’s not the point, the way I was treated was treated was horrific and the I was patronised and felt degraded. I only asked a question, she could of said no and explained and I would accepted it but her antics after asking this question were just down right insulting.
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

Basically I have had my study needs Assesment and it went ok but the lady there was horrible, she tried to belittle my health problems I suffer from epilepsy, Sleep disorder, fainting, stress and axienty. She made me feel very uncomfortable speaking to her, she didn’t understand nor want to understand what I was going through.

During the chat she went through some software and she recommended a laptop but I explained to her that due to my health I am unable to stay in university for long periods of times due my stress and axienty and I am on engineering course it requires a lot design so can the laptop you provide be capable of playing design software and it would have also been beneficial for me aswell when I have seizures I need to take extended time off, so I would be able to do some of the design work at home, when I asked this question on the laptop she started raise her tone and started shout and not undertstand the differculties I was facing, I wasn’t happy with they way she treated nor the she explaining things to me properly?

During this conversation she treated me like a worthless piece of ****. It’s like she was saying to me your not disabled enough and she didn’t understand how long it took me gain confidence to tell the university. Regarding the laptop, she said we would not upgrade and you would need to pay for it yourself. The assessor also said that applying for DSA your getting advantage above your piers and this made me feel even more guilty.

I also stated to here the problems I had in college and stated what they did to help and she just refused to listen and started making up excuses that this is advantage or you don’t need this. She wasn’t really listening, she just really wanted to fob me off and was getting angry when I mentioned something that helped me in the past. She was obsessed in what she wanted and didn’t really care, I felt it was a test to prove I was ill enough and felt it’s even worse than pip Assesment and haven’t even had that yet.

The assessor also tried to infer that I was dum and didn’t understand what study needs Assesment was and she tried to embarrass and put into a horrible position by saying “I don’t think you understand and I think we should bring in the disability adviser your regularly in contact so she can explain it you”. I 100% knew what the Assesment was for she tried to patronise me and it worked as I feels worthless and that she wasn’t listening

I whole heartily feel if it was a white kid, she would have treated hims differently. Just because I am brown I felt she tried to push and really abuse here position I feel and I am also thinking about writing a complaint to Assesment centre but feel it wouldn’t be taken seriously?

Ps I want all student to know how Sheffield Hallam university Assesment centre treated me, so please be aware.
Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear you had this experience. We wouldn't want any of our students to feel uncomfortable in their assessment. If you want to DM us with your details we can investigate this further.

Thanks
Helen
Last edited by Sheffield Hallam University; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.66%